Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

Antares35 wrote: »
    Had a craving for something salty yesterday while shopping in Aldi and picked up a multipack of their salted, cinema style popcorn. Very impressed :)

have you a pic of it plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

bassy wrote: »

Here you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

bassy wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Faith wrote: »
    Mod note: I thought about deleting all the coriander bickering (there was a lot of corianger :pac: :pac: ) but I've moved them to the general chat thread instead.

And then I jumped in there and told them to stop. :D

Egos! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

Antares35 wrote: »

thank you.............................................................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Others serve as saucers under herb pots.

I use them as pet food bowls for cats. Or outside as water bowls for the bird feeder. They're dishwasher safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

anewme wrote: »
    Love the Aldi little pots of melting cheese in the earthenware pots. Theres kentish cider or chorizo.

Nice snack for over Christmas.

3.99 but those little pots come in handy.

Not sure if it's been posted before, just trying to distract from the 'c' word.

These sound delicious. Do you have a picture of same by any chance? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Ryath

Dónal wrote: »
    Aldi have loads of Christmas specially selected trays in stock. I tried the prawn gyoza yesterday, was absolutely delicious! Had never steamed gyozas before but they came out beautifully.

20181212-173448-600x1067.jpg

Anyone seen the Prawn Gyozas in store this year? Not listed on the website. Looking forward to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Recliner

Ryath wrote: »
    Anyone seen the Prawn Gyozas in store this year? Not listed on the website. Looking forward to them.

Saw them this week, but didn't buy them. Are they a bit claggy to eat? Didn't read the instructions but are they steamed and then fried or just steamed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Ryath

Recliner wrote: »
    Saw them this week, but didn't buy them. Are they a bit claggy to eat? Didn't read the instructions but are they steamed and then fried or just steamed?

Think the pack says to just steam? I fry them for a couple of minutes just browning the bottom. Then add a splash of water and put the lid on the pan and steam for a few more minutes. They are delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Ryath wrote: »

They only do a mixed pack now - 6 prawn and 6 veg gyoza. They are my favourite Aldi item, we always stock up - got 5 packs for the freezer when we finally found them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Does Aldi sell bird seed throughout the winter, if so which part of the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I dunno about Aldi but Lidl do if there's one near you? Generally at the end of one of the middle aisles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,624 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah cheers will be in Lidl Friday so will get them there then. I havent seen them in Aldis middle aisles in a while so probably just a special from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Does Aldi sell bird seed throughout the winter, if so which part of the store?

No they dont, just seems to come and go..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

fin12 wrote: »
    The date on the Atlantic wheaten bread is a lot of the time really short, the last two times I went to buy it, the best before date was the next date so no point.

On this I must say it is probably still OK ;)

Bread generally has short best before dates so you will barely see one with more than 3 days in store anyway. But that's just Best Before date.

Of course we all prefer freshest stock possible, but that wouldn't put me off the product unless it is moldy or something.

Otherwise it will end up in a bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

wonski wrote: »
    On this I must say it is probably still OK ;)

Bread generally has short best before dates so you will barely see one with more than 3 days in store anyway. But that's just Best Before date.

Of course we all prefer freshest stock possible, but that wouldn't put me off the product unless it is moldy or something.

Otherwise it will end up in a bin.

The Atlantic wheaten goes moldy pretty quick if u don’t eat it before the bb date, 2nd day after bb it’s gone moldy. I have been lucky before and got it where the bb date is 3 days or 4 but bb date the next day, way too short.

fin12 wrote: »
    The Atlantic wheaten goes moldy pretty quick if u don’t eat it before the bb date, 2nd day after bb it’s gone moldy. I have been lucky before and got it where the bb date is 3 days or 4 but bb date the next day, way too short.

Same thing happened here and also before the bb date, I put it down to having few preservatives and therefore better for you, anyway I feel it's cheap and usually eaten here very quickly so I'm not worried about it, it's seems to sell out very quickly as I've had trouble getting it recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If that's the case I would definitely get in touch with them... Only had it few times and was OK, but don't remember if it was still well in date.

Sure no point buying something if it won't last a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone know how long the chicken liver pate can be kept once it's been opened?

Unfortunately I threw out the outer wrapper.

The pate is very nice but nobody else eats it so I might have to throw a good bit out :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Anyone know how long the chicken liver pate can be kept once it's been opened?

Unfortunately I threw out the outer wrapper.

The pate is very nice but nobody else eats it so I might have to throw a good bit out :(

Haven't bought it but usually around 3 days. You might stretch it to a few more if you tightly wrap it in clingfilm or something. Make it completely airtight.

Just to add I've made it in the past and if there's a layer of butter on top it lasts longer. Don't think the shop ones have that. 4 days around I reckon from buying pate myself before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'm pretty sure pate can last a week - and maybe at a push slightly longer once opened and kept in the fridge.
    But you can freeze it. It can last for months once frozen, which may be handier if you are throwing out a lot. Just plonk half into clingfilm in an ice tray and then into greaseproof paper or small tub and the other half in the fridge.
    I think also, when it is off you will know, it crumbles and there can be a very runny liquid coming from it.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This
    My mother used to make Pate by the bucketload for years and years. She used to make it for neighbours and relatives etc. They all seemed appreciative, she didn't make it all year round, but when she did she would make plenty. She still makes it to a much lesser degree (I currently have a bit in my freezer and fridge), and I wouldn't even consider throwing out the stuff in the fridge after 4 days.
    A week is good. Any time after that, it can be a bit dodgy.
    If it is stored in the freezer (make sure no freezer burn), it will last months. Not sure the longest I have ever had it in there, but 2 months it is still fine.
    I think the amount of butter effects the thawing out, but not the storing. But you will definitely know when pate is gone off.

EDIT -
    I will have to ask her if there is a difference with the different types of pate, There could be, but I don't ever remember knowing about it.

Well to be fair I often eat food past it's best before date. Up to the person really. The fat preserves it a lot. Homemade or professionally it keeps longer. The store bought ones don't last as long but might be ok I suppose. You could just check if it has mould or smells funny. Also keeping it airtight would make it keep longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Has anyone tried the Chocolate and Hazelnut cheesecake, looks decedent.

I bought the €8 cheese board, has a nice selection. They also have a €3.50 cheese board but I thought if you want half decent cheese you pay more than €3.50.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Their mini pies in party food are good 12 for €3.50

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: As a reminder, food safety advice cannot be given here. When it comes to food, you simply cannot make a generalised call on something you can’t see, smell or know the conditions it has been stored in. If you choose to take advice from someone on the internet over your own best judgement, well on your own head be it if you’re glued to the loo for 3 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I should have been clearer - I would follow the advice on the wrapper if I still had it. I suspect it says 3 days but if anyone still has the wrapper and can confirm that it would be great.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement