Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "If My QCA is 0.01 Do I Need to Repeat?" Summer Exam Results Thread 2015

Options
  • 19-06-2015 11:31am
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So, they're out on Monday. As of yet, I'm finding it extremely hard to care all that much. Know I failed one, reckon I passed the rest, but don't really care about the grades too much.

How are y'all feeling in the run up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I was fine until 2 days ago. I was away so was distracted, but when I got home I was hit with that train of thoughts relating to all of the mistakes I made in projects and exams :D Last ever results from UL so I care this time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was fine until 2 days ago. I was away so was distracted, but when I got home I was hit with that train of thoughts relating to all of the mistakes I made in projects and exams :D Last ever results from UL so I care this time.

Well apart from my FYP, these are my last results too. I'm just in that no-man's land between a 2.1 and a 1.1 where as long as I pass everything I'll get the 2.1, but the 1.1 is just a little too far out of reach. So that's why I'm just very "meh" about it all. :pac:

That said, I've been fairly distracted by stuff these past few weeks myself. We'll see how "meh" I am at 8:59 on Monday. :P

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Well apart from my FYP, these are my last results too. I'm just in that no-man's land between a 2.1 and a 1.1 where as long as I pass everything I'll get the 2.1, but the 1.1 is just a little too far out of reach. So that's why I'm just very "meh" about it all. :pac:

That said, I've been fairly distracted by stuff these past few weeks myself. We'll see how "meh" I am at 8:59 on Monday. :P

I'm so close to the 1.1, which is why I'm nervous. I have a job lined up so I don't NEED it, but it would be nice to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Ugh, I'm getting worried the closer it gets. Every year, I manage to convince myself I've failed by the time results coming around. I am very worried about two in particular, one is my language and I honestly just have no idea how it went. I can never tell. With the other, I did the work but the exam shook me up badly.

Ugh, can't wait to just know! My QCA is really good at the moment and I'll be upset if I've screwed that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

I was absolutely fine after exams and up until today and it just hit me really hard :/
    Every year I work myself up into a frenzy that I failed German but always surprise myself!

I'm on 3.1 so I really just need a nice set of B's and possibly an A and the natural C I always get in German and I'll be fine :/

Panic..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

I repeated this semester, and failed one module last sem, and possibly one this semester. I know can pass them in the repeats but still worry that they'll tell me I can't do repeats as I've done a repeat semester.

Surely I'm entitled to repeat as usual, right? I need the reassurance, as I'm terrified right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

What I like to call the Laura-Physics Law; whenever I think I did really well in a physics module, like A1, A2 worthy, I always end up with a B3/B2. This law slightly applies to maths also. And of course, I had both a physics and maths module which I thought went well this semester, so we'll have to see what happens come Monday morning to see whether the law will still apply :P

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Aragneer wrote: »
    I was absolutely fine after exams and up until today and it just hit me really hard :/
    Every year I work myself up into a frenzy that I failed German but always surprise myself!

I'm on 3.1 so I really just need a nice set of B's and possibly an A and the natural C I always get in German and I'll be fine :/

Panic..

I'm the same way with Spanish! I've yet to actually fail but I always convince myself I have.

I'm the same way with Spanish! I've yet to actually fail but I always convince myself I have.

My undergrad was languages and I did the same thing every semester with Japanese :pac: Never failed an exam! I don't know why we do it to ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I've one guaranteed repeat to do anyway, and one possible repeat, the rest should all be grand.
    How does registering for repeats work? Just log onto the portal and click some stuff there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭CheyK

I'm bored of waiting now, I just want to know either way.

Does anyone think they'll be out early? The past few years I remember them coming out in the middle of the night!

Does anyone think they'll be out early? The past few years I remember them coming out in the middle of the night!

I actually don't remember the last time they came out in the middle of the night. For the last few semesters, I know they've been out at maybe 7 or 8, but that's the earliest I can recall. I know when I was in 1st or 2nd year they were out in the middle of the night, but that was aaaaaaaaaages ago :pac:

I actually don't remember the last time they came out in the middle of the night. For the last few semesters, I know they've been out at maybe 7 or 8, but that's the earliest I can recall. I know when I was in 1st or 2nd year they were out in the middle of the night, but that was aaaaaaaaaages ago :pac:

I think it was last semester or the semester before, I remember waking up to see they had been put up at 3am! That happened for about three or four of my semesters..I hope it happens this year!
    I never can sleep the night before.

I think it was last semester or the semester before, I remember waking up to see they had been put up at 3am! That happened for about three or four of my semesters..I hope it happens this year!
    I never can sleep the night before.

Oh wait, hold on. It was this time last year. I was having a movie night with my friend and they ended up coming out at 1 am or something like that! I remember now because they were my 4th year results so they were a big deal to me. Can't believe I forgot that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

How soon would one have to register for repeats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm feeling the same way and I'm in the same position as you. Figure I'll end up with a 2.1 but honestly, there is a part of my brain that's like 'oh, maybe you'll be bumped up' which is really unlikely. I'll be disappointed with a 1.2, I can't lie, especially since my course is English and History so I feel if I don't get a 1.1 it was all for nothing. I did pretty good during this semester though it's the FYP I've no idea about. My supervisor told me she wasn't correcting it but two other supervisors were even though others I spoke to told me their supervisors were correcting their work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm feeling the same way and I'm in the same position as you. Figure I'll end up with a 2.1 but honestly, there is a part of my brain that's like 'oh, maybe you'll be bumped up' which is really unlikely. I'll be disappointed with a 1.2, I can't lie,

Completely the same. I still had an outside shot of making the discretionary band for the 1.1 up until last semester's results. I'm bitterly disappointed with myself for getting the results I did last semester when realistically I could have done better. I look back through my transcript and see at least 2 other modules I should have gotten better grades in (one C3 should have been an B2-A1 if I'd studied more).

C'est la vie I guess.

Best of luck y'all!

For the 4th years among us I know we will be given our up to date QCA tomorrow and can decipher from that roughly whether we got a 1.1 or a 2.1 but will it state that on the results. And if you get bumped up, as rare as that might be, will that show up as well or not?

Completely the same. I still had an outside shot of making the discretionary band for the 1.1 up until last semester's results. I'm bitterly disappointed with myself for getting the results I did last semester when realistically I could have done better. I look back through my transcript and see at least 2 other modules I should have gotten better grades in (one C3 should have been an B2-A1 if I'd studied more).

C'est la vie I guess.

Best of luck y'all!
    Ya, I'm not even sure how common it is to get bumped up or how they decide who should fall into that category. Yeah, same here. I should have done better but as you say it's a bit late for what ifs so might as well hope for the best and try to be proud of what I get. Ah, thought my family had forgotten when I get my results, but they haven't. My mum wants me up early tomorrow morning.:( I'll be seeing them alone first I think before I tell anyone. Best of luck to you too and everyone else! :)

• Advertisement

For the 4th years among us I know we will be given our up to date QCA tomorrow and can decipher from that roughly whether we got a 1.1 or a 2.1 but will it state that on the results. And if you get bumped up, as rare as that might be, will that show up as well or not?

There's a section on the student portal where you can see what degree band you finished on. I don't remember the exact label. I know that it's not there straight away in the morning and it will show up later on in the day.

Since you do English, you might be similar to language. When my friend was bumped up, she got an email around lunchtime from her course director to tell her that she was being bumped up. It may be different for you, but I know that's how it worked in my course.

Ya, I'm not even sure how common it is to get bumped up or how they decide who should fall into that category. Yeah, same here. I should have done better but as you say it's a bit late for what ifs so might as well hope for the best and try to be proud of what I get. Ah, thought my family had forgotten when I get my results, but they haven't. My mum wants me up early tomorrow morning.:( I'll be seeing them alone first I think before I tell anyone. Best of luck to you too and everyone else! :)

For us (CSIS) there are very clear criteria for being bumped up:
    If your final QCA (with no deficient grades) at the end of Year 4 is

>= 3.40 you will automatically be recommended for a 1st class honours degree

>= 3.00 and < 3.30 you will automatically be recommended for a 2.1 honours degree

>= 2.60 and < 2.90 you will automatically be recommended for a 2.2 honours degree

>= 2.00 and < 2.50 you will automatically be recommended for a 3rd class honours degree

If however your final QCA (with no deficient grades) at the end of Year 4 is

>= 3.30 and < 3.40 you will be in a discretionary band for a 1st class honours degree

>= 2.90 and < 3.00 you will be in a discretionary band for a 2.1 honours degree

>= 2.50 and < 2.60 you will be in a discretionary band for a 2.2 honours degree

The following are the criteria used by the CSIS Department if your final QCA falls into a discretionary band.

If a student is within .02 of an award he/she will automatically be recommended for this award otherwise, the following discretionary criteria will apply.

Discretionary Criteria

One of the following criteria must be met.

Criterion 1:

(a) AND (b) must hold

(a) The Final Year Project

1st - A2A2 minimum

2.1 - B1B1 minimum

2.2 - B3B3 minimum

(b) Year 4 performance will be at the required honours level

1st - Final Year Performance 3.4

2.1 - Final Year Performance 3.0

2.2 - Final Year Performance 2.6

Criterion 2:

External Examiner: Consultation with External Examiners. If in their professional experience and in line with international standards the External Examiners believe that discretion should be awarded then they will provide reasons in writing why discretion is awarded. If the External Examiners do not provide documented support for a discretionary situation then this automatically implies that discretion is not being awarded. The decision of the Internal Exam Board based on the recommendation of the External Examiners is final.

Criterion 3:

There exist clearly exceptional and mitigating circumstances which have been documented and which the CSIS Department’s Internal Examination Board accepts had a negative impact on the candidate’s performance in assessments and for which allowance has not already been made.

Not sure if any of those apply to other departments.

I know in languages if you were in the discretionary band, you were automatically bumped up. So if you managed to get 3.3, you get a 1.1.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

What's the story with rechecks this semester? I've only ever done it for Christmas semester where you handed in the form for viewing scripts before the viewing. I know I'm definitely viewing one script, probably getting it rechecked (the lecturer can't be trusted with marking at all and there's been several issues with marking during the semester) and possibly get two others viewed. I can't afford to go to limerick twice though...

I was hoping that I'd wake up and they'd be out already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭1moreyr

I was hoping that I'd wake up and they'd be out already :(

Me too. You would think after the fiasco in Jan that they would put them up early this time.

This hour has been the slowest of my life...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

FFS they are gonna leave this until the very last second aren't they!

Ciano35 wrote: »
    FFS they are gonna leave this until the very last second aren't they!

Of course they are, UL never liked to make it easy on their students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Are they out at 8 or 9? Its says 8 on the results page, and 9 on si.ul.ie

Advertisement