Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Options

Comments

I actively disliked the battle system in FF:XV and this looks like more of the same.
    Hoping that there really is a good ATB classic system in there to use, playing Battle Chasers at the moment and I like being able to control the game in turn based.

That clip just looks like a CG vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yeah FF should be turn based, so classic mode should be fine for me.
    Don't like how the Aeon is there with you, it should be like X where they take over from your party and do a bit of one on one.
    Still undecided if I like the look of Ifrit as well.

How is that going to work on Knights of the Round, or are they dropped?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Willing to give anything new a go. SE have had some really great real time battle systems lately and FFVII's battle system wasn't that good. Heard nothing but positives about the new one and it sounds like it takes cues from the excellent xenoblade games.

Tell me that you are not including FF:XV in this comment about a good battle system?
    It looks good but is cold and lifeless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,932 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tell me that you are not including FF:XV in this comment about a good battle system?
    It looks good but is cold and lifeless

Barely played it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Barely played it.

I am getting massive vibes of the XV battle system from that trailer. Classic Mode all the way for me, if that is the case

I am getting massive vibes of the XV battle system from that trailer. Classic Mode all the way for me, if that is the case

It has a stagger system though that worked great in xenoblade. Hope it adds tactical nuance that was missing in ff15. I'd still rather something new to the ffvii battle system which is just so basic.

So the summons are essentially pokemon. Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I played the VII demo at Gamescom. I thought that XV's combat was terribly thought out. But in the VII demo all the systems seemed to really complement each other in a clever way.

Like it felt the different switching and ATB systems had good reasons to be used, unlike how in XV it had horrible feature creep and stuff that just seemed to be there for no reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I played the VII demo at Gamescom. I thought that XV's combat was terribly thought out. But in the VII demo all the systems seemed to really complement each other in a clever way.

Like it felt the different switching and ATB systems had good reasons to be used, unlike how in XV it had horrible feature creep and stuff that just seemed to be there for no reason.

Was Classic Mode available to play at Gamescon? Did you play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Here's the thing though: It's not the full game, right? I mean this is only roughly 1/4 of the game. The rest will be released in installments....... Y'know, like Half Lift 2 episode one, two..... and three.

How much are we going to pay for 1/4 of a game? 60 quid???!!! Is that only for the 1/4 or will the other 3/4 be released as "DLC"?

I don't like the thought of this. Would you buy spend 60 quid on Chapter 1 of The Last Of Us 2 without knowing when the rest would be released?

Here's the thing though: It's not the full game, right? I mean this is only roughly 1/4 of the game. The rest will be released in installments....... Y'know, like Half Lift 2 episode one, two..... and three.

How much are we going to pay for 1/4 of a game? 60 quid???!!! Is that only for the 1/4 or will the other 3/4 be released as "DLC"?

I don't like the thought of this. Would you buy spend 60 quid on Chapter 1 of The Last Of Us 2 without knowing when the rest would be released?

Will be a sad state of affairs if its released in a few 60 quid parts. Think about this next time you buy a loot box.

Will be a sad state of affairs if its released in a few 60 quid parts. Think about this next time you buy a loot box.

Well, it's 50 sterling on Amazon. Y'know, pretty standard price for a game. But what I mean is: Is the rest going to be an additional 50 sterling? Will we end up paying 360 quid over an indeterminate amount of years for one game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Well, it's 50 sterling on Amazon. Y'know, pretty standard price for a game. But what I mean is: Is the rest going to be an additional 50 sterling? Will we end up paying 360 quid over an indeterminate amount of years for one game?

It's going to be in two parts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's meant to be coming out in 2 or 3 parts. So, still pretty expensive but nowhere near £360. I don't know where you're getting the idea it would be released in 7 installments, that would be ridiculous.

But it's also been substantially expanded to give about 40+ hours of gameplay which is the average length of a typical JRPG.

So it's not like you are getting a quarter of a game.

That's like saying Mass Effect 1 is a rip off as it's only 1 third of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

To be fair, I've nearly spent that on Destiny at this point.
    As long as they don't deliberately string it out into several games just to make more money, I won't mind too much.
    What's 60 quid over a year or two, really.

Valid points. And the reference to Mass Effect 1 never really occurred to me. I suppose because, for many of us, it's a game we already know the ending of. But this is aimed at previous players and new players I suppose.

And if they choose their stopping point correctly it would work. No, my only real concern was them expanding it to 4 or 5 parts at 60 euro a pop or just abandoning it like Half Life episodes.

Oh, and me 360 was a typo. Meant to say 250 :)

And yeah, classic battle mode for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Be patient.

Pick up GOTD version in 2026.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Pick up GOTD version in 2026.

Na, waiting too long already for what is an amazing story with one of the greatest villians in all of storytelling. Each of the 3 or so parts with be the length of a full game so I don't see anything wrong with paying full price for the first part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Greyfox wrote: »
    Na, waiting too long already for what is an amazing story with one of the greatest villians in all of storytelling. Each of the 3 or so parts with be the length of a full game so I don't see anything wrong with paying full price for the first part
    Full game with 40+ hours of gameplay, half of which will be the few boss battles from the looks of the clips seen!

That red scorpion fight went on forever.

Greyfox wrote: »
    Na, waiting too long already for what is an amazing story with one of the greatest villians in all of storytelling.

Wait! There's a suikoden 2 remake coming?

ZiabR wrote: »
    Was Classic Mode available to play at Gamescon? Did you play it?

Classic mode wasnt at GC, but they put videos of it up already. It's just the standard fighting but automated and you pick ATB skills when they pop. Its not really "classic" mode.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But it's also been substantially expanded to give about 40+ hours of gameplay which is the average length of a typical JRPG.

So it's not like you are getting a quarter of a game.

That's like saying Mass Effect 1 is a rip off as it's only 1 third of a game.

You know yourself retro tho that the hour count isnt what could feck this up, its turning a standard three act story into possible a 9 act one. Depending on how they cut it up.

I'm still not over that decision. Midgar is just the prologue. Maybe two major events happen in it (plate collapse and Pres Shinra murder). What is the story telling going to be like I wonder, same story with really bad pacing?

You know yourself retro tho that the hour count isnt what could feck this up, its turning a standard three act story into possible a 9 act one. Depending on how they cut it up.

I'm still not over that decision. Midgar is just the prologue. Maybe two major events happen in it (plate collapse and Pres Shinra murder). What is the story telling going to be like I wonder, same story with really bad pacing?

If it's by the same Square Enix that made Kingdom Hearts 3, FFXIII games and FF15 then I wouldn't be too worried about the story. I'd be more worried if it's fun to play because it will be absolute scutter in the story department!

I've a feeling this one won't be 3+ parts and will see completion as it's actually sounding like a good fun game and will sell well regardless. The only concern I have is that this game is obviously going to cross generations and square have been pretty miserable at jumping generations and FFVII might suffer as a result.

Classic mode wasnt at GC, but they put videos of it up already. It's just the standard fighting but automated and you pick ATB skills when they pop. Its not really "classic" mode.

Thats not great. I will have to wait for this game, give it a month and then decide if its for me or now. FF7 for my was pure perfection, this remake has MASSIVE shoes to fill.

ZiabR wrote: »
    Thats not great. I will have to wait for this game, give it a month and then decide if its for me or now. FF7 for my was pure perfection, this remake has MASSIVE shoes to fill.

Now FF:VII was not without it's flaws but, for me, of the non-Nintendo games it's only bettered by FF:IX

FF Tactics is the secret best FF game.

And I'm being serious, it's one of the best games ever made.

• Advertisement

Now FF:VII was not without it's flaws but, for me, of the non-Nintendo games it's only bettered by FF:IX

FF9 was amazing alright. I am still on the fence as to which I preferred better, 7 or 9. These are the 2 best FF games. 8 was good aswell but not as good as 7 and 9. I just loved the materia concept in 7.

Advertisement