Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Course he'll still be able to use it without the keyboard. Just be harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Contact the courier and get them to replace the damaged items due to their stupidity.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Get straight onto the courier, I wouldn't be accepting that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Hi guys just wondering would this be an option for using for sports if i cut down to the basic package with sky? https://m.livingsocial.com/ie/cities/1677-national-ireland/deals/1471762-android-quad-core-tv-box#dealWrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

We can only talk about free to air stuff on here, the other thread got closed down for a similar reason * people asking about certain sites and links.
    best look to google or pm someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ok, so Amazon have arranged DPD to collect this for a return this evening.

Had to organise (and buy) a new replacement, until refund process is complete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

Ok, so Amazon have arranged DPD to collect this for a return this evening.

Had to organise (and buy) a new replacement, until refund process is complete.

You also need to buy a fly mouse,That d-pad one is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Hi guys just wondering would this be an option for using for sports if i cut down to the basic package with sky? https://m.livingsocial.com/ie/cities/1677-national-ireland/deals/1471762-android-quad-core-tv-box#dealWrap

Was considering buying this, would it be good value at that price? No plans for dodgy streaming or anything. Would mostly be used for Netflix,playing media from my NAS, and hopefully casting my phone/tablet screen. I am currently using an Android Mini PC, but can be a bit sluggish and I dont think it will cast the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Invincible

briN_s wrote: »
    Was considering buying this, would it be good value at that price? No plans for dodgy streaming or anything. Would mostly be used for Netflix,playing media from my NAS, and hopefully casting my phone/tablet screen. I am currently using an Android Mini PC, but can be a bit sluggish and I dont think it will cast the screen

Better value on Amazon or eBay, with delivery adding .€10 to that price in your link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

I have one of those M8 boxes that I no longer use if you want it - €50 delivered to you? You will need an air mouse as well though or if you have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo even better!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

What would be the minimum speed id need to stream through one of these? Would 4mb be too slow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Invincible

ComfortKid wrote: »
    What would be the minimum speed id need to stream through one of these? Would 4mb be too slow?

That should be fast enough, think 2-3 minimum is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I have one of those M8 boxes that I no longer use if you want it - €50 delivered to you? You will need an air mouse as well though or if you have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo even better!!

If you can't shift it drop me a pm, I'll gladly take if off your hands at that sort of price.

Thats enough for most apps you wont get HD and the live streaming may be a bit dicey but as a on demand box you have just about more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Could someone tell me if this is the same as the M8
    http://www.adverts.ie/7785962
    I have set up my first gen raspberry pi but it is very slow going. Things usually play fine once buffered but loading from screen to screen is crazy slow.
    Also, best place in Ireland to buy fly/air remote?
    Will a wireless mouse/ keyboard do the same job really??
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

MRTULES wrote: »
    Could someone tell me if this is the same as the M8
    http://www.adverts.ie/7785962
    I have set up my first gen raspberry pi but it is very slow going. Things usually play fine once buffered but loading from screen to screen is crazy slow.
    Also, best place in Ireland to buy fly/air remote?
    Will a wireless mouse/ keyboard do the same job really??
    Thanks in advance.

It is similar, although if you are getting that box, get the 2gb.

I'd also advise to not get a fully loaded one - he mentions a couple of free apps which you download. These inevitably break so it is much better to teach yourself what to do. That box should be 50e on Amazon or eBay, and the 2gb under 70

It is similar, although if you are getting that box, get the 2gb.

I'd also advise to not get a fully loaded one - he mentions a couple of free apps which you download. These inevitably break so it is much better to teach yourself what to do. That box should be 50e on Amazon or eBay, and the 2gb under 70

Id advise to the get the fully loaded box,The last thing a novice needs to be worrying about is the likes of mx player or adobe. id be afraid boxes that are not fully loaded may also not be rooted,my friend bought a box before and he couldnt even access the play store. I think loaded is the safer option just be ready to update the apps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Getting it fully loaded is definitely worth the extra few quid.

how are the boxes going lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Getting it fully loaded is definitely worth the extra few quid.

It's not as hard as you think to put the stuff you need on it.Sites like this https://seo-michael.co.uk/ give step by step guides that even a complete novice can follow.
    Another plus is the fact that if something goes wrong you'll know how to fix it yourself-some sellers charge a fee for reprogramming boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Pocoyo wrote: »
    how are the boxes going lads?

A1 mate. I've now bought three in total. One for my dad, one for my man cave, and just got another today for the brother in law.

Best purchase I have made in quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hello All,

I planning to get Android box but don't have much knowledge about these yet.

What's the latest box these days? Is it M8? What else do I need to check before getting a box please?

check post 20 on this thread.
    its so good banjostring has bought 3 and i have bought 3 as well.
    really easy to use
    * lets not ask about apps and the likes because stuff like that will get the thread deleted. I am sure someone on here can direct you towards anything needed.
    but that post had everything i needed pretty much

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

What would people reccomend for controlling these? Airmouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

chineses website have loads of cheap alternative but beware of import duty

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭sean_b97

makes it hard to judge the final price

A friend is looking at this, not android but Linux with XBMC.

Are there better options?

http://jarvisbox.com/products/armada-mach-8-pure-linux-delivered?variant=1066524424

That looks like the box from post#20,nearly same specs, only post 20 has android, and is a lot cheaper
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3TA5KU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

daytob wrote: »
    That looks like the box from post#20,nearly same specs, only post 20 has android, and is a lot cheaper
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00X3TA5KU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Thanks for that.

what are people buying these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

M8 or MXIII are good entry level boxes and should cost you 50-70e. I would recommend starting with one of these and only getting something better (such as a Minix x8h or HTPC with Linux / OpenElec or similar)

Personally I'm using an MXIII 2gb (solid box, never given any trouble), a HP 260 g1 running Windows 8.1 (this is my main box, a great deal for 137e but needs a few gb extra ram and maybe a SSD), and a cheaper Mk808b which only cost 25e or so.

Amazon Fire TV stick is also a good option but you need a decent WiFi as it doesn't have an ethernet port

Advertisement