Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we still need Pride?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I still think we're a few years from that. There's no imagination from the Pride committee, the council and the Gardai.
    :mad:

Sorry to say it but I'm ******* hopping reading ***** like this.

Keyboard Warrior/s.

Pride is a voluntary gig; everyone involved to my knowledge has other things to do like work, parenting, look for work etc. and put serious effort into the Festival & the Pride Parade while others snipe off them from the sidelines.

People with titles like Chief Steward, Deputy Chief Steward, Section Chiefs (I'm going to say 7 but no doubt my OL Maths will let me down!), Contingent Stewards & their Deputies (pushing on for 80 x 2 based on numbers of floats for this year!) and individual volunteers in the different floats both vehicular & walking groups give up of their time voluntarily with no recompense not even travel expenses for those who've to travel from outside of Dublin or those who've to take off work early to attend/deliver training, meet with DCC, AGS etc.

Training HAS to be delivered for H&S reasons, insurance requirements etc. to ensure the event goes off without incident for all concerned & to ensure everyone on all sides gets to enjoy the day.

I know anecdotally that Pride Cttee., Gardai & DCC do meet but unless ye, the keyboard f*****g warriors get up off your hairy yellow a***s & get involved, then what will change?

Get involved. Please. Do.

The Pride Cttee. welcomes new faces annually be they stewards at any level, volunteers at the different events during Pride Week etc. (see my previous post re condoms for example as a way to do your bit!).

But also the Pride Cttee. welcomes & seeks feedback; I know for a fact that they did this in 2014 via Survey Monkey for example but there are other ways of contacting them such as their (quite active) social media accounts publicly or via PMs/DMs & various emails.

One thing I'll be recommending to whomever is doing the superb job on their social media accounts is they extend that role to registering as an official account on here to answer your queries, perhaps even doing an open-ended AMA/Ask me Anything too.?

You'll change nothing outside of the tent p*****g in; inside the tent is an awful lot easier folks.

There's many folks out there, on here perhaps too even that have a skillset or experience or qualifications that may well improve, benefit and change the Festival as an entity, the Pride Cttee., the Parade etc. but as with any volunteer gig, tis YOU who must want to get involved, who doesn't mind giving up of (some) of your time etc.

Apologies for my rant & use of multiple asterisks but as someone who volunteers elsewhere in life (something I highly recommend as someone who is constantly looking for work! It looks "T'rific" on your CV & is a great networking tool in life no matter your vintage! You'll get great training & social skills in most volunteer roles) it's something that irks me.

Get involved folks (even if it's "only" giving polite, constructive feedback & suggestions). Please. You can be the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

^His post was in reference to street closures.... A bit of an overreaction tbh

There has been no 'belong to' work in my former school nor in any of the schools that surround my home area. Liberal bubble?

Contact BelongTo; budgets & time constraints allowing they'd be delighted to attend I'm sure & offer insights & advice into what it's like being an LGBT Teenager; the Irish Trans Students Alliance & TENI do this too.

There are many LGBT Irish who would I'm sure deliver talks.

The issue however probably isn't them or the time/budget issues I've mentioned.

It may all go back to the ethos/patronage of the educational establishment & by extension, the parents too; school of Catholic ethos may bow (!) to student body pressure ultimately but parents could oppose from Parents Cttee. to BOM to individual 'rents submitting objections or writing a letter excusing little Johnny or big Mary from attending due to their own (religious) leanings etc.

By all means use Town Halls, Hotels etc. but as above paragraph numbers might be reduced due to parental reasons/beliefs.

Another reason why the Pride movement is not only necessary in Ireland but always will be.

The festival doesn't seem to have changed or moved on in the last 6 or 7 years. The same parade and the same events. The Merrion Square Village isn't popular. The numbers attending each year keep increasing and they haven't adequately responded to the growing interest.

Closed off streets, large street parties with a big concert with decent acts. Make it ticketed if needs be. I don't understand why they can't do this. The city would make a complete fortune.

A lot of what you say has merit yes but ticketed events? Don't we want to make Pride inclusive & not exclusive?

Just an observation.

The Merrion Sq. Village has to appeal to a wide demographic; it can't be handed over to the type of t**s who want to get rat-a***d or s**t-faced as early as possible.

It has to be accessible to families, be family friendly, be a family fun day out both on the square itself & in the park.

This year there will be drink stands (for want of a better description!) and food on site too (presumably hot-dogs, burgers etc.!?) in the village as well as performers & speeches up on the stage.

However from my understanding the drink stalls (better word maybe?) will not be of an alcoholic persuasion. Licencing laws/issues maybe?

So unless I send ideas I'm not allowed to complain!?

Wrong forum as such; are any of the Pride Cttee. observing this for example?

Maybe, maybe not; see my previous rant/post re getting involved even if it's "only" offering feedback.

Criticism, constructive especially is the only way any event will prosper, continue, benefit & improve.

By all means "complain" (I don't view it as such; it's not negativity if you've ideas or suggestions; it turns into positivity then so fair balls fella!) on here yes but forward your concerns on to Pride via the methods I've previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Now not necessary for Pride or Proud now .................Just accept yourself !

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Xenophile wrote: »
    Now not necessary for Pride or Proud now .................Just accept yourself !

Pride is so much more than a lack of self acceptance

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Aard wrote: »
    ^His post was in reference to street closures.... A bit of an overreaction tbh

Indeed if even the mildest criticism is meet with expletive filled rage its not hard to see why some feel alienated.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Contact BelongTo; budgets & time constraints allowing they'd be delighted to attend I'm sure & offer insights & advice into what it's like being an LGBT Teenager; the Irish Trans Students Alliance & TENI do this too.

There are many LGBT Irish who would I'm sure deliver talks.

The issue however probably isn't them or the time/budget issues I've mentioned.

I am not quite sure why you are being so defensive. I merely repeated a truth to clarify that we have't reached some kind of utopian level of acceptance across the nation.

I am not quite sure why you are being so defensive. I merely repeated a truth to clarify that we have't reached some kind of utopian level of acceptance across the nation.

To be clear. I never suggested that we have reached a utopian level of acceptance!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

To be clear. I never suggested that we have reached a utopian level of acceptance!

True, I was engaging in a bit of hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Nokia6230i wrote:

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Keyboard Warrior/s.

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Pride is a voluntary gig; everyone involved to my knowledge has other things to do like work, parenting, look for work etc. and put serious effort into the Festival & the Pride Parade while others snipe off them from the sidelines.

Nokia6230i wrote:
    People with titles like Chief Steward, Deputy Chief Steward, Section Chiefs (I'm going to say 7 but no doubt my OL Maths will let me down!), Contingent Stewards & their Deputies (pushing on for 80 x 2 based on numbers of floats for this year!) and individual volunteers in the different floats both vehicular & walking groups give up of their time voluntarily with no recompense not even travel expenses for those who've to travel from outside of Dublin or those who've to take off work early to attend/deliver training, meet with DCC, AGS etc.

Nokia6230i wrote:
    I know anecdotally that Pride Cttee., Gardai & DCC do meet but unless ye, the keyboard f*****g warriors get up off your hairy yellow a***s & get involved, then what will change?

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Training HAS to be delivered for H&S reasons, insurance requirements etc. to ensure the event goes off without incident for all concerned & to ensure everyone on all sides gets to enjoy the day.

Nokia6230i wrote:

Nokia6230i wrote:

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Keyboard Warrior/s.

Nokia6230i wrote:

Nokia6230i wrote:

Did you think my post was a comment on the great unpaid work by the scores of people that help to organise Pride? It wasn't to be clear.

It's very difficult to organise anything. I'm aware of that. And you'll never please everyone. But Pride is open to criticism just like any other event.

Good point. But you could run the event in a non profit way and ensure that the fee goes to pay for the acts that playing, the stage and all the other overheads. And a percentage could be given to a appropriate charity.

My basic problem is that the numbers have increased dramatically in the last 5 years and will increase again this year and Pride hasn't adequately addressed the growing interest. The limited gay pubs in town are over packed, dangerous and unable to cope. So busy are they people are actually getting turned off going in. I'm not saying I have the answers. I'm just expressing an observation.

There is room now for a large day long street party with alcohol served for adults with a concert/dj. The pubs will still be packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shanerygan

I heard a kid today say that a bouncy castle was "gay" as an insult to it.

Until that kinda stuff gets out of the minds of people we still need pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I still wonder if a Phoenix Park party would be the right idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BunnyRabbit

Mixed thoughts on this.

When I worked in a large semi-state, the union had an LGBT committee, Women's committee, Black & Ethnic Minority committee, Disabled Peoples committee.................

All of these groups were supposed to have input into how the Union worked, but most were talking shops, an excuse for reps to get paid time off to go gallivanting around the country, and half the time instead of looking into real issues they came out with pointless rubbish. Seems it was just turn out quantity of issues to justify their time, so much so that the odd, genuine issues they brought up got lost among the shyte.

People on these committees generally were referred to pejoratively as the "Black English Lesbian Cripples" and were seen as pains in the hole. It had people asking "what about a committee for white, straight Irish able bodied men. They genuinely felt their input & needs were left out.

Some pride parades I've seen, with aggressive people in numbers enough to intimidate most people, shouting stuff like "we're trans, we're trans, we're gonna use your cans", or with people in a town/city after a parade only just on the legal side of having sex in public (which would be equally objectionable if it was straight people) is in my opinion wrong, it does nothing to serve our purpose, it turns people against us.

Peaceful parades, where genuine issues are highlighted in a respectful way, on the other hand I think are a great thing. I think we need to put more effort into educating the majority than alienating them.

What have unions got to do with anything?

Mixed thoughts on this.

When I worked in a large semi-state, the union had an LGBT committee, Women's committee, Black & Ethnic Minority committee, Disabled Peoples committee.................

All of these groups were supposed to have input into how the Union worked, but most were talking shops, an excuse for reps to get paid time off to go gallivanting around the country, and half the time instead of looking into real issues they came out with pointless rubbish. Seems it was just turn out quantity of issues to justify their time, so much so that the odd, genuine issues they brought up got lost among the shyte.

People on these committees generally were referred to pejoratively as the "Black English Lesbian Cripples" and were seen as pains in the hole. It had people asking "what about a committee for white, straight Irish able bodied men. They genuinely felt their input & needs were left out.

Some pride parades I've seen, with aggressive people in numbers enough to intimidate most people, shouting stuff like "we're trans, we're trans, we're gonna use your cans", or with people in a town/city after a parade only just on the legal side of having sex in public (which would be equally objectionable if it was straight people) is in my opinion wrong, it does nothing to serve our purpose, it turns people against us.

Peaceful parades, where genuine issues are highlighted in a respectful way, on the other hand I think are a great thing. I think we need to put more effort into educating the majority than alienating them.

You've seen people after a parade almost having sex in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BunnyRabbit

You've seen people after a parade almost having sex in public?

In Derry

In Derry

RIght ok

The vast vast vast majority of pride participants dont have sex in public.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

In Derry

Different country pal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

There's a passive "let's appease the majority" vibe coming from this post... if Pride parades had always strived to be entirely inoffensive, we'd probably all still be subject to mass ignorance and abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    A lot of what you say has merit yes but ticketed events? Don't we want to make Pride inclusive & not exclusive?

Just an observation.

The Merrion Sq. Village has to appeal to a wide demographic; it can't be handed over to the type of t**s who want to get rat-a***d or s**t-faced as early as possible.

It has to be accessible to families, be family friendly, be a family fun day out both on the square itself & in the park.

This year there will be drink stands (for want of a better description!) and food on site too (presumably hot-dogs, burgers etc.!?) in the village as well as performers & speeches up on the stage.

However from my understanding the drink stalls (better word maybe?) will not be of an alcoholic persuasion. Licencing laws/issues maybe?

I don't think that having the Village in Merrion Square alcohol free should be an issue, there are plenty of places that have events on all afternoon and evening. There will be people drinking from mid morning and will be legless by 6 in the evening. I'm no killjoy but I was at a pride event after the parade in Cork 3 years ago and the behaviour of most of the crowd and particularly the younger members of the LGBT community was a disgrace. I was embarrassed to be associated with them. Do people really need to get rat ar**d to enjoy the day? I'll be having a few pints later and intend enjoying the day, this is a proud day for us, let's put our best foot forward and behave with a bit of pride in ourselves and our community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

We now need a BT Pride and that's it. I'm sorry to all the Lesbians and Gays out there, but under the eyes of the law you now have FULL equality. If you are equal you DO NOT get to be treated special. I'm sorry, but you don't.

This comes from someone who, since I became a class rep in 2010, has campaigned actively for LGBT rights (including running a campaign for equality officer to campaign for same-sex marriage, same-sex adoption, more reignition of transgender and bisexual people within the community, the right for trans people to identify as who they want and more unisex bathrooms). When you get the same rights as everyone else you can no longer be treated special. If you want a Pride parade then you either a. Include Straight, Gays, Lesbians, Bisexuals, Transgender, Gender Queer, Asexual and Non-identifying people in it (as in have a part for all of them-equal for straight and homosexuals with a focus on the BTQ part) or b. You don't have one at all.

It's being on my mind for a while now and I felt I had to say something. I have a lot of friends going and it is not for the reason Pride parades were made. It used to be about making people see that LGBTQ people deserved the same rights as everyone else. Don't pretend it is about that anymore unless the focus of this years event is solely on T and Q people. Which it's not!

Again, if you want equality you cannot be treated specially. That is a sure fire way to attract the problems you are trying to eradicate.

You think gays are fully equal in every respect with straight people? Lol.

Since when is pride about being treated special?

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

What I noticed today was that there was a load of kids in town getting drunk. What was worse was at about 5pm I witnessed 2 lads that could not have been more than 16-17, **** each other off. In full view of passers by..

I am gay and did some outdoors stuff when I was younger but never where you could be in view of the public.

What we need to think about is Pride is going to turn into an excuse for everyone to get pissed, as happened with the Arthur's day thing.

A small bunch of pissed kids (prob with good intentions) could give the whole Pride thing a bad name.

Seriously. After the parade town was a mess of drunken teenage skangers. Around Czech Inn area was a disaster. Smashed glass everywhere, screaming girls, generally intimidating vibe.

The parade itself was quite enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Today was the worse I've ever seen it, Central Bank was total carnage :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Getting sloshed at public gatherings is a sacred Irish tradition.

Why would anyone expect the Irish LGBT community to be any different to anyone else?

Ireland has a big issue with getting off our faces at all public gatherings. It's nothing new!

Paddy's Day, St Stephens Day, New Years Eve, Gay Pride, Concerts, Hen Nights, you name it we'll drink it.

It's a general cultural issue not a gay pride specific one.

You can do nothing nice here with out a bunch of muppets drinking and vomiting on everything.

Gay pride won't get a bad name for it any more than anything else.

Face it: we have a tincy weency national drinking problem.

Advertisement