Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BAMMA 22 - 3Arena - Sept 19

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

mmapk wrote: »
    So you are trying to tell me people were queuing up to take a pint of piss each from a fat guy in a white shirt standing there with his pants down?
    Was the queue long, you mention pints - I haven't really tried but on tap i think i may struggle to produce one or 2 'pints of piss' let alone be a 'Pint of piss' production line......

I'd rather go with Joe.ie

Typical Joe.ie reader, I guess you can't grasp a fairly simplistic scenario.

There was a row of drunks pissing into the plastic pint glasses up the front, they weren't throwing full pints of beer into the cage at the end of a 6 hour event. If you walked out the entrance to the far right, you would have seen the guards dealing with the "fat guy in the white shirt" with his pants open.

Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭paska

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've been saying for a LONG time that euro for euro Bamma is much better value than UFC, but at least with the high UFC prices it deters a lot of the scumbags

I was in the section on the floor and paid €206 I think for two tickets and there was a few yobs there not just having a beer but totally pissed and causing havoc.
    But I do agree with your point..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That's pathetic stuff at BAMMA. Embarassing, really really embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

I wonder if its the best idea to have fighters sell tickets at this level of show?

Its often done on smaller shows as the are a big source of ticket sales.

I know its a source of extra revenue for the fighters however there is no control over who the tickets are sold to. I am sure many of the people who were causing issues yesterday would not have gone if they could not buy their ticket directly from certain fighters.

The other issue was the running time. It was much much too long, there was a dip around when the main card started, many people had been there for over four hours at that point, when the show ended some people had been at the venue for 6 or 7 hours with drink being served. You wouldn't spend that long in a pub on Saturday night.

• Advertisement

On a more positive note, there were some cracking fights and finishes.

The rules for amateur MMA in Ireland were changed about 5 years ago if I remember correctly and this is paying dividends now. So many of the pro débutantes looked fantastic. Virtually no sign of nerves, dominant performances and upsets. Most of them experienced amateurs coming from the national circuit.

The future of MMA in Ireland is bright. It is great to have show like BAMMA in Ireland , giving these guys that experience and laying the foundation for future champions.

I was gutted for Chris Fields, actually thought he tapped out his opponent, and was winning right up to getting caught in that triangle. Hope to see him back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Great night of fights, but it went on way too long. I was in from 4:14 until 11ish? I didn't even stay for the last fight I was that tired. Training from 10-2 that same morning might have had something to do with it :D

To be honest I don't think MMA in Ireland attracts a scummy crowd. I have been to a number of shows over the years and have only seen unpleasant scenes a couple of times.

However some fighters come from disadvantaged areas, and sell tickets to anyone who will buy tickets, as it make a difference to their pay at the end of the day. Often these people are not MMA fans but come along to support their local lad and have no interest in the other fights. I have a feeling these people would carry on that way where ever they are.

If you could purchase a ticket online and select what fighters you are most interested in watching compete, the organisation could pay ticket revenue based off of that as opposed to fighters directly selling tickets. Selling tickets must be a pain for fighters too, and this way everyone would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,078 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've seen it suggested online that a lot of the trouble was caused by English fans over support their fighters. Any truth to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Mellor wrote: »
    I've seen it suggested online that a lot of the trouble was caused by English fans over support their fighters. Any truth to that?

without a doubt there was one lot that were just there to kick off and cause trouble.

but they were just one small crowd, where i was sitting we had a lovely group around us. i had my 13 yr old with me and didnt have any hassle near us.

• Advertisement

I think the crowd issues at the end may have come from some travelling English fans. But the crowd trouble near me were all from Dublin and kicked off when their fighter lost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

There was at least two english groups causing trouble. A lot of idiotic shouting from some people too. 'just knock the fking cnut out' *1000 from a good few around me. Defo a lot of non mma fans. Im not sure the long show and hence the drinking time was a big factor, especially the way the cubicles were used so much.

Advertisement