Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car free Dublin City Centre?

Options
  • 10-06-2015 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/cars-banned-dublin-city-centre-2152917-Jun2015/

The new Dublin City Development Plan will have large sections of the city centre restricted to buses, bikes and pedestrians if passed. College Green, Suffolk Street, North and South Quays among others. Very interesting. Personally I think this would be a great thing for Dublin in general apart from being great for cyclists and public transport commuters. Imaging being able to cycle up the quays and only have to dodge buses instead of cars and taxis.

What do others think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ultimately will be watered down by all the various pro car lobbies I reckon. Would love to see it happen along with a canal cordon congestion charge but just can't see it actually happening in the next 5-10 years.

link mentions increasing frequency and capacity of the Dart, yet IE have spent the last couple of years systematically cutting down train lengths...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

How are we to have an economic recovery if people can't drive in to the city centre to pick up their wide screen televisions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

link mentions increasing frequency and capacity of the Dart, yet IE have spent the last couple of years systematically cutting down train lengths...

shorter trains? might encourage more people to cycle, especially if there is no traffic to contend with.

But your right...I cant see this plan happening. The Indendent newspaper is already on the case : http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/cars-and-taxis-face-being-banned-from-large-parts-of-dublin-city-centre-31292092.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It sounds terrible to me. Just buses with a few cyclists? The buses would have a field day.

Without any cars, peds would treat it as a ped zone and be walking all over the shop.

It will also have the effect of annoying the car drivers even more so when they meet you on any road outside of this zone they will feel even more entitled to tell you to get of their way, sure don't you have the whole city centre for your cycling now!

And of course it all sounds great in theory, but will we be investing in more buses/trains to transport all these people who can't use their cars? If the city centre is to continue to survive, not only additional buses for the number of people but also space for people with bags and shopping, buggies, wheelchairs etc.

An what about the large fall off in revenue from one street parking that this will cause. How are the council going to fund that shortfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'd like to see less headlines like this:
    Cars and taxis face being banned from large parts of Dublin city centre
    Radical plan seeks to take cars out of Dublin city centre
    And more like this
    Radical plan seeks to allow people in Dublin city centre
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

If they would start slowly and just do South William street and turn it into the pedestrianised cafe street that it's crying out to be, then I'd be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭mvt

Well,since the bus gate at Trinity was curtailed by a group of concerned business owners who turned out to be carpark owners its hard to see this plan being implemented.

Would be nice though.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GasBrakeHonk

Whether the car lobby like it or not this is inevitable given the expected increase in the numbers of commuters into the city. Whether it can work or not is going to be down to the levels of investment that the government national & local are prepared to make into public transport and other alternatives, including cycling.

But I think it would be make the city a great place to be. We live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

ultimately will be watered down by all the various pro car lobbies I reckon.

Connor Faughnan coming up on News at 1 to discuss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I think it is inevitable though. Not a big bang like this. But gradual changes. It has to. Or Dublin will absolutely grind to a halt. Personally I think it is a pretty unpleasant place to be right now.....gridlocked everywhere. Throw in another 20% more cars, and there would literally be no movement. Which is surely as bad for business as there being no cars at all

There might be resistance, but I suspect that this plan is out there intended to be watered down, and the planners actually know already which bits they are going to give up as a compromise to the taxi lobby.

No-one thought that the most recent cycle works in London - the removal of lanes on the embankment and their replacement with cycle routes - would happen. All sorts were against it, and court cases threatened. It looked dead in the water 2 years ago. But digging has started and it will be great when its done. I know its not the same scale as a large scale pedestrianisation but there was an acceptance even by the taxi lobby in the end that there has to be a pro-cycle policy

There is an inevitability about all of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

The plans is only about stopping cars going into certain areas of the city that you would want to be bonkers for taking a car there anyway! Plenty of parking 10-15 min walk from most of those city areas anyway!

Don't see what all the fuss would be about other than maybe the taxi driver who would be impacted.

mvt wrote: »
    Well,since the bus gate at Trinity was curtailed by a group of concerned business owners who turned out to be carpark owners its hard to see this plan being implemented.

Would be nice though.

The gate at Trinity didn't last once a car went near it! :P

0008bb6c-642.jpg

In all seriousness, as a person who spends a lot of time (and money) in the city centre, this is only a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

jon1981 wrote: »
    Don't see what all the fuss would be about other than maybe the taxi driver who would be impacted.

I'm hoping taxi drivers would be all for this, it should allow them to get across the city much quicker without having to deal with non-PSVs around college green and the quays.

I'm hoping taxi drivers would be all for this, it should allow them to get across the city much quicker without having to deal with non-PSVs around college green and the quays.

I thought the proposal is that not even taxis would be allowed into those locations?

I thought the proposal is that not even taxis would be allowed into those locations?

It varies, but overall, private through-traffic would decrease dramatically, even in the areas where it's allowed.

Via the IT:
    image.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Dublin City Centre was never made for the volume of traffic currently flowing through it, which is mostly comprised of taxis, Dublin Bus and coaches - not sure it will make much difference restricting private cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

ultimately will be watered down by all the various pro car lobbies I reckon. Would love to see it happen along with a canal cordon congestion charge but just can't see it actually happening in the next 5-10 years.

The problem with the dart/trains is Connolly station. Trains coming from Maynooth, Sligo, Belfast, Dundalk, the DART etc onto to tracks means there is a massive restriction in capacity. Scheduling is a nightmare and unlikely to change.

I worked on Metro North years ago doing traffic management for it. Banning cars from the quays, O'Connell Street, Westmoorland Street, College Green etc was the first suggestions. The reaction wasnt great and this was only a temporary measure. Legal action was threaten by many. The car parks in the city center came together to form a lobby group.

Same thing will happen with this and nothing will get done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

wont somebody think of the motorcyclists!

godtabh wrote: »
    I worked on Metro North years ago doing traffic management for it. Banning cars from the quays, O'Connell Street, Westmoorland Street, College Green etc was the first suggestions. The reaction wasnt great and this was only a temporary measure. Legal action was threaten by many. The car parks in the city center came together to form a lobby group.

I can see the huge challenge they will with the car parks, some of them are in areas that if the measure were to go ahead it would not be possible for cars to access. I guess a rich developer could take it off their hands and build lots of tiny apartments :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

I can see the huge challenge they will with the car parks, some of them are in areas that if the measure were to go ahead it would not be possible for cars to access. I guess a rich developer could take it off their hands and build lots of tiny apartments :D

Great news for the large shopping centres in the suburbs if passed. Fatal for retail in the city centre though.

• Advertisement

Ranchu wrote: »
    Great news for the large shopping centres in the suburbs if passed. Fatal for retail in the city centre though.

i wonder if that would be so. Would be interesting to see if there was a study done on this based on other cities that introduced this. I mean you can still park close enough to town without having to drive up the quays or college green. There's christchurch and Stephens green multi story for example and many many roads that have on street parking.

i wonder if that would be so. Would be interesting to see if there was a study done on this based on other cities that introduced this. I mean you can still park close enough to town without having to drive up the quays or college green. There's christchurch and Stephens green multi story for example and many many roads that have on street parking.

The car parks won't be able to deal with the extra capacity and the people currently driving in are most likely doing so because they are buying something bulky or have kids in tow. Closing off College Green and the quays is also going to make congestion far worse everywhere else.

I live a 15 minute walk from Grafton Street but if I'm buying anything big or a few things I already prefer to drive off to a retail park. Anything smaller and I'll just walk to town. Maybe most people do this already and it won't have as big an impact as I think it will.

The car parks won't be able to deal with the extra capacity and the people currently driving in are most likely doing so because they are buying something bulky or have kids in tow.

I live a 15 minute walk from Grafton Street but if I'm buying anything big or a few things I already prefer to drive off to a retail park. Anything smaller and I'll just walk to town. Maybe most people do this already and it won't have as big an impact as I think it will.

The capacity will certainly be an issue, no solving that unless you hike the prices and discouraged ppl from using them.

On the shopping habits and bulky items topic , off the top of my head i can only think of places like Argos or an electronics store were you might have to have a car close by for something big & heavy and those stores tend to be in places like Jervis , Arnotts or the Ilac centre for example, all of which have car parks that would be accessible in a roundabout way under the proposed restrictions. I think this really comes down to forcing people to change their shopping habits and comforts somewhat. Interesting to watch how it plays out (if at all ).

But likewise if i want to buy anything so big that needs a car i tend to off to a retail park for that and maybe you'll see less of those kinds of stores in town.

EDIT: I better get back on topic :D

This will make my work commute so much more pleasurable!

The capacity will certainly be an issue, no solving that unless you hike the prices and discouraged ppl from using them.

On the shopping habits and bulky items topic , off the top of my head i can only think of places like Argos or an electronics store were you might have to have a car close by for something big & heavy and those stores tend to be in places like Jervis , Arnotts or the Ilac centre for example, all of which have car parks that would be accessible in a roundabout way under the proposed restrictions. I think this really comes down to forcing people to change their shopping habits and comforts somewhat. Interesting to watch how it plays out (if at all ).

But likewise if i want to buy anything so big that needs a car i tend to off to a retail park for that and maybe you'll see less of those kinds of stores in town.

EDIT: I better get back on topic :D

This will make my work commute so much more pleasurable!

Jarvis, Ilac and Arnotts are all on the northside though. Brown Thomas and their car park will have a fit. I'm fairly sure they're already the main reason South William Street hasn't been pedestrianised already. It really wouldn't affect me either way and it would probably be a good thing for the most part. I'd love to know what retail businesses think of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

07Lapierre wrote: »
    shorter trains? might encourage more people to cycle, especially if there is no traffic to contend with.
    I used to live too far away from the city to cycle. Unfortunately I also couldn't bring my bike on the train as they don't really make allowances for it. Sure, the timetable shows the train has bike facilities but it's rarely the case. Being left stuck on a platform a couple of times put me off trying again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Effects wrote: »
    ..Sure, the timetable shows the train has bike facilities but it's rarely the case. Being left stuck on a platform a couple of times put me off trying again.

Folding bike doesn't need facilities. (in general). Though it can be awkward on a intercity when its crammed, and you can't reach the larger luggage rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can't see this plan happening for a long time. It would suit me. But I don't really drive city centre that much so I'm bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

buffalo wrote: »
    Via the IT:
    image.jpg

how on earth do you pedestrianise Suffolk st currently, a huge number of south side bus routes go down there as well as Aircoach etc. Where do all they end up going? Reconvert lower Grafton to two way, or big detours out via George st or Trinity loop down Westland row?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Jarvis, Ilac and Arnotts are all on the northside though. Brown Thomas and their car park will have a fit. I'm fairly sure they're already the main reason South William Street hasn't been pedestrianised already. It really wouldn't affect me either way and it would probably be a good thing for the most part. I'd love to know what retail businesses think of it though.

That and the fact AA have their HQ on South William Street, you think they'd move out to the long mile road or something.

I live in D2 and usually head to Henry Street or maybe Dundrum if I want to do some serious shopping. Kind of think all you can get in the Grafton street area is clothes, food and coffee. Have ended up in Argos a few times, cause there's really no department stores worth talking about. Never go into Brown Thomas because I feel everything is way over priced. I 'm willing to bet Grafton Street will still be attracting the crowds long after Dundrum shopping centre has closed down. What exactly those crowds will be doing is another question. Gawking at rubbish robot buskers?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Orion wrote:
    ........Imaging being able to cycle up the quays and only have to dodge buses instead of cars and taxis.

What about all the pedestrians not giving a fcuk about traffic because they no there's no cars? Pedestrian v cyclist RTAs up 700% I'd say

Advertisement