Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great racing account and race B. Not winding you up BUT do you think that your studied approach helped. It certainly comes across as though it created a lot of positivity and certainty about your strategy. Its hard to beat a strong pacey finish like that. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Congrats on the PB B and pass on my congratulationss to your other half on hers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done and congrats on the PB. Your flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's fantastic B,we'll done although I'm not sure there was enough discomfort for a 10k race :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Great racing B and congrats on the PB.
    Enjoy the well earned PB beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good stuff, B! Well done!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great run and well deserved result, enjoy this one as these PB's don't come along too often and they require a great block of training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

denis b wrote: »
    Great racing account and race B. Not winding you up BUT do you think that your studied approach helped. It certainly comes across as though it created a lot of positivity and certainty about your strategy. Its hard to beat a strong pacey finish like that. Well done.

Thanks! I kind of hinted at it, but I was probably over-prepared for this race. Knowing the course well is far less important than having a positive mentality and knowing how to respond to how you're feeling while actually racing (time-trialing?). I basically got my A goal because of two faster kms (3rd and 8th) on top of fairly consistent splits, and a sprint at the end. None of these were planned in advance, they were responses to where I was and how I was feeling at the time. I knew I had to hold something back for the hill near the end, but other than that most of my local knowledge was only really useful for running somewhat close to the correct racing line.

Whenever I finish a race with a sprint I'm always left wondering why I was able to do so - though today I got a good shout from my family, while staring straight at a possible A goal time on the finishing clock and also it was downhill all at the same time, so maybe my central governor was suitably distracted :)

That's fantastic B,we'll done although I'm not sure there was enough discomfort for a 10k race :p

It was definitely tough and I certainly worked hard this morning. I might have been still buzzing from the race, while quaffing a sneaky lunchtime bellini writing the race report, so maybe I brushed over the anguish and exhaustion a bit too easily :pac:

Back to regular transmissions... actually this week was kind of interesting, even without the 10k PB.

On Monday I did last week's longer run, as I decided to do a recovery run on Sunday after Saturday's McMillan session. Monday was pretty hot and sunny, and I was enjoying running in the heat... up until mile 10 when I kind of fell apart and jogged uncomfortably home at recovery pace. Heat bonking is no fun.

On Saturday I popped over to River Valley parkrun where they were celebrating their 1st birthday. I only had a few miles with strides on the plan, but I reckoned I could get away with a steady enjoyable run without killing my Fingal 10k ambitions. There were a load of nice awards given out at the start, and a good turnout on the morning which all made for a good atmosphere. I didn't go out hard at all, but I ended up in 4th after about the 1st km and was on top of the 3rd runner. We exchanged placed a few times over the course before I realised that I could be doing some damage, so after the 2nd lap of the terrible hill I started conversing with your man who exclaimed that he was close to throwing up and cursed the existence of the hill. After recovering from the hill I sped up a bit to see if he'd follow, and he did, and when he kicked for the podium position I was more than happy to let him go. I finished in 20:46, so by no means all out but definitely not steady. I had a few chats with folks after, and clickerquicklic introduced himself and we had a good natter. The rest of the day was spent on my feet and with a 3 year old on my back, and I was feeling more than a little tired by the evening.

This week I also may have... *cough*... whisper it... joined a club. As much fun as this cycle of training has been, it's just easier to run with other humans, especially when you're doing sessions. I've thrown some money towards Crusaders and I intend to show up on Tuesday. Worst case it's a good way of funnelling money from Silicon Valley investors to Irish running clubs (we have some sort of scheme in work where I can claim back athletics club subscriptions), best case I actually show up regularly and do some running :)

One more thing. I've been wondering how to approach the Disneyworld Marathon in January. There are lots of reasons why it's a terrible target race - I'm on holiday, it's at 5:30AM in the morning, it's just after xmas, the weather in Orlando is kind of unpredictable, the field is really weak... while picking up some groceries in the Pavilions during the weak I saw a lad in a Donadea 50k t-shirt. I had an immediate epiphany. Disneyworld is now a training run for Donadea (presuming it's on in February!).

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    17th July|12.5 miles|8:27|Really enjoyable 10 miles followed by a terrible 2.5 miles thanks to the heat
    18th July|5.4 miles|9:09|Recovery miles, went the long way to the bus via Donnybrook
    19th July|3.6 miles|8:10|Another work lunchtime run, this time in the rain with a footballer of decent standard who's recovering from an injury. Not very conversational pace.
    19th July|10.1 miles|8:23|A run home in the pi$$ings of rain.
    20th July|4 miles|8:40|Easy running to the bus once again, this time around different parts of D2 and D1.
    22nd July|4.2 miles|?|Previously mentioned parkrun with some half-a$$ed warmup and cooldown.

Total: 47.9 miles
    Next week: Meeting the Cru.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

As happy as I've ever seen you after a race, perhaps happier, and rightly so. Congrats again.

Edit: and welcome to the Cru. The club will be delighted to relieve those investors of any cash lying around. See you Tues, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Obsess much about that race, B? :pac:

You were so cool and calm afterwards today, allowing just a hint of delight to show... :D. Hope your PB household got to celebrate tonight, well done to you and the missis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

That's a fantastic result B, great racing and PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Just catching up here B, excellent result again there....keep up the good work.
    Best of luck with the new club, you're only going to get faster with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Well done B and best of luck with the new club

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭pgarr

Disneyworld? You're mad :)

I think treating it as a training run for a 50k is a great idea. Most importantly it will take some pressure off you for it around the holidays which at the end of the day are likely more important looking at the bigger picture than sweating over a (pun intended) Mickey Mouse marathon .

Sounds cool though - 5.30 is not exactly a standard start time!

No rest for the wicked. The plan for this week was a step-back week in between the Fingal 10k and the last 8 weeks of the Faster Road Racing HM plan ahead of the Dublin half. It didn't quite work out that way due to showing up to the club and generally feeling ok after the race. Showing up to the club was great, they were extremely welcoming and I really enjoyed it... though the running itself was a bit of a disaster. I jogged over to Irishtown from work, then jogged around a bit more with marthastew who introduced me to a load of people, and then participated in mass warm-up where I thankfully bumped into aquinn as I had no idea what I was doing until the bit with strides. The session for the night was 4x(600,400,200) and I got lumped in with a group who were a lot faster than I am. I naively mostly stuck with them for the first set, and then slowed down progressively over the next two. I was barely running at 5k/10k pace by the end of it all, which is far from ideal. I was failing to operate my watch properly (another sign of having going out too hard) so got some dodgy data on the rep times but they look something like: 2:08, 1:23, 40, 2:10, ?, ?, ?, 1:28, 43, 2:16, 1:31, 43. I'm sure I was feeling the 10k in my legs, and I'll get better at pacing these over time with some practice, so not in any way disheartened or anything.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    24th July|9.1 miles|8:56|Slow commute home. Legs feeling fine.
    25th July|9.2 miles|?|Warm-ups, running with the club, a cool-down to catch the Swords Express on the quays.
    26th July|3.1 miles|9:31|Lunch time running around St. Stephen's Green.
    26th July|10.2 miles|9:10|More nice and slow running, this time on a commute home.
    28th July|10 miles|8:08|70th run commute of the year.
    29th July|8.8 miles|8:27|Easy around most of the Fingal 10k route, running past a fair few discarded gel wrappers, followed by 10x12s hill sprints and 6 x 30s strides down the valley.
    30th July|15.1 miles|7:58|Longest long run in a good while, out to Portmarnock and back via Malahide. Was pretty blustery and kept the pace fairly even. Listened to Second Captains' Sunday show sandwiched by some nice tunes on BBC 6 Music (I particularly love their Sunday morning shows by Mary Anne Hobbs and Cerys Matthews).

Total: 65.8 miles
    Next week: Club session on Tuesday. Plan also has a tempo (might see what the marathon folks at the club are doing) and 16 miler with last 3 @ LT :eek:

pgarr wrote: »
    Disneyworld? You're mad :)

I think treating it as a training run for a 50k is a great idea. Most importantly it will take some pressure off you for it around the holidays which at the end of the day are likely more important looking at the bigger picture than sweating over a (pun intended) Mickey Mouse marathon .

Sounds cool though - 5.30 is not exactly a standard start time!

Yeh, I feel a lot more relaxed about it now that it's just a training run. I'll probably do 26.2 @ 50k pace but I might end up stopping for a few selfies on the way so we'll see ;)

A lot of USA races are on at ridiculously early times it seems, the SF marathon also starts at 5.30. For Disney, you need to be on a bus at latest 4AM to get to the start line. At least jetlag should work in my favour here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Entries are now open for Donadea 50k, its on the 10th Feb. Entry forms available through their facebook page.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Entries are now open for Donadea 50k, its on the 10th Feb. Entry forms available through their facebook page.

Oh, nice one. I haven't yet been approved for the Facebook group, I asked to join a couple of weeks ago. Is getting into this like getting into the Barkley Marathon or something? :)

Time to send a PM to anto...

• Advertisement

A week where I did all sorts of running but didn't follow the HM plan at all. I got out to the club twice. The Tuesday session again didn't go well, maybe because I was still a bit tired from Sunday's long run. I ran with the marathon group, and it was a bafflingly complex session - three repeats of 1 lap each at 5k, HM, 10k, HM and 5k pace with two laps slower in between each rep. I slowed down a lot over the course of the session as can be seen from the lap splits:

|5k|HM|10k|HM|5k
    Repeat 1|96|106|100|108|101
    Repeat 2|102|110|103|111|104
    Repeat 3|101|116|107|115|109

Thursday's club session was 3 reps of 8 minutes at HM effort, mostly on grass around Sean Moore Park. Paces for each rep were 6:46, 6:40, 6:30. A bit faster than prescribed, but the last rep felt good at the time.

The highlight of the week was finally breaking sub-20 at Rivervalley parkrun. I took Friday off due to general busyness, and felt decent enough jogging over on Saturday morning. Having spoken to clickerquicklic a few weeks ago about how he runs the course, I decided to totally yolo it and fly down the hill as hard as I could both times. The start went well, there was a regular who runs with Clonliffe who I knew would finish a minute or two ahead of me and along with two other lads I was still pretty close to him by the time we were turning at the bridge at the bottom of the hill. He moved on ahead once we were running along the river, though he did stop to fix his shoe about a km in. I eased past the other two runners who seemed to be slowing down before the first run back up the hill and didn't see them again. The second lap was pretty much me on my own, but I stuck at it and tried to make use of the downhill once again. I wasn't really watch-watching but I was happy to see 15:00 tick over by the time I was back on the way back up the hill and I reckoned a half-decent final km would get me under. Recovering from the second hill seemed to take forever, but I got moving well enough and just before I hit the finishing chute I allowed myself a little whoop when I saw my watch early enough in the 19s, finishing 2nd in 19:21. I recovered quickly enough to get roped into helping out with the finisher's tokens, and chatted to a few folks including the first finisher (running it in 17:28 as a tempo) and clickerquicklic who had run it as part of his long run. A 45 second improvement on my PB here, which I think is a mix of more aggressive downhill running, some fitness gains but also generally being very sharp from all the fast stuff I've been doing.

Niggle alert: I've had some recurring stiffness and mild pain the last few weeks after running, generally when after running fast somewhere inside my right upper leg, close to the hip. I don't think it's getting worse, but it's been causing a bit of discomfort.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    31st July|9.1 miles|9:03|Recovery commute. Definitely feeling Sunday's long run.
    1st August|12.6 miles|?|Jog to Irishtown stadium, some more warmup jogging, then a club session and a jog back to the bus.
    2nd August|3.1 miles|9:54|Easy lunchtime jog
    2nd August|5 miles|9:35|A few more very easy later on in the evening
    3rd August|9.7 miles|?|Tempo as above, along with some warming up, cooling down, etc.
    5th August|6.1 miles|?|To/from parkrun and a 19:21 Rivervalley parkrun.
    6th August|14.6 miles|8:23|An unspectacular hungover 2 hours. I wasn't in the mood for something more aggressive, and even the cars on the road were annoying me, so I mostly just ran around the environs of Malahide Castle.

Total: 60.6 miles

July Total: 229 miles

Next week: Some life getting in the way - I'm off down the country tomorrow for a wedding, which should provide a venue for a nice jog but will probably interfere with getting to the club on Tuesday, so probably not as much fast stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

Great result at Parkrun B. Know that the sub 20 was an important target for that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

get that hip looked at sharpishly!!

Its the single biggest cause of other leg/feet issue as you begin to compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Very nice week, B. Have done that club session a couple of times - maybe a bit complicated for what it intends (multiple paces), but you get used to it after three or four marathon seasons. Ferris is a big fan of that particular one, maybe he can help you unpick it! :p

Very impressive parkrun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Mrs Mc

Nice one B

A bit late with my weekly update, I'm sure you were all beside yourselves :)

Not an amazing week of running last week, life has been getting in the way with plenty of social events, lack of good sleep, work being busy and picking up a cold along the way. I did enter Run The Line as some sort of interesting long-run to do in the build-up to January's marathon and February's 50k, which should provide some motivation for some hilly runs later on in the year.

Date|Distance|Pace|Notes
    7th August|5.1 miles|9:44|Some very easy miles around Swords before we went up to Monaghan, including wandering around the trails in the deep dark forests of River Valley - I think there's a way to get through to Knocksedan but I haven't found it yet.
    8th August|3.3 miles|9:25|A few pre-breakfast post-wedding miles, the first couple done with my better half around the grounds of Castle Leslie - very fancy though a bit of a mudfest in most directions.
    9th August|3.4 miles|8:43|Lunch run with a lad who's in Novice DCM training in work
    9th August|10.2 miles|8:34|Commute home.
    10th August|9.6 miles|?|Popped over to the club, though I had woken up a little sniffly and thinking I was in the early days of a cold. The coach wasn't around and I was trotting around warming up when a bunch go by at speed including one lad who I was running with last week. I caught up and went along, expecting them to be doing the prescribed session... which seemed to be going a little too fast for what I thought it was meant to be. I went along for a bit, started to tire and after 10 minutes I decided to not blindly follow them and do something a lot closer to what I was expecting. I ended up doing 10, 8 and 8 minutes off 2 minutes at HM effort 6:39, 6:48, 6:49 paces - not great but hard enough given the onset of the cold.
    11th August|9.1 miles|8:58|Full on cold mode commute into work in the morning
    12th August|5 miles|8:35|Not content with just having a cold, I also had a hangover today but wanted to do something useful, so did 6x12s hill sprints and 6x30s strides.
    13th August|15.2 miles|7:59|Starting to feel less cold-ish and not hungover, so treated myself to a decent Sunday run.

Total: 61.1 miles
    NextThis week: Nothing too crazy, probably the club on Thursday again. Given that my racing plan for the forseeable future is all long I should probably get back to running lots of longer long runs...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

There's no path through to knocksedan from the park that I know of . Lived in the jacko when I was a kid.

The easiest way through is into ushers over the fence up by the lake to the house and out the avenue assuming nothing has changed in there in the last 40 years.:D

Another for Run The Line! excellent :) presume you're doing the long course too?

The Muppet wrote: »
    There's no path through to knocksedan from the park that I know of . Lived in the jacko when I was a kid.

The easiest way through is into ushers over the fence up by the lake to the house and out the avenue assuming nothing has changed in there in the last 40 years.:D

Well, Chivitto is always trying to encourage people into track events, this might qualify as high jump, or pole vaulting?!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Spotted you going through Fairview last night.

With the backpack watch your running form, unless you were tired you were slumped a bit forward and not as bouncy as usual. Cold still lingering?

Advertisement