Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eye of the Tiger Beer.

Options
1484950515254»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great report and run in spite of all the pain. Delighted to see that HTFU isn't a thing of the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

That report was like listening to live a commentary, fair play. The surroundings and atmospherics sound like something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Brilliant Brian, well done.

You are making me feel like a total wuss for bailing on my marathon last October with a torn quad due to the mountains in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Brilliant report! Sounds like an amazing experience, fair play to Boston for putting on probably one of the most famous marathon experiences in the world. Hope you recover quickly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Thanks all for the comments! Not many race reports on my log over the last couple of years for some reason, so it was good fun writing that up.

Anything else not in the report... "Eye Of The Tiger" was blaring at half-way which also gave me a good laugh (I don't actually care much for the song but I'm fond of the pun by now). I'm pretty tempted to do whatever European marathon the club are doing next spring given the overall good experience of travelling to a marathon, Boston was far from cheap! Or maybe do Barcelona. My skin is completely bolloxed and is still very burned, sore and peeling like mad, but in good news walking around is now pain free and I've done a couple of runs (total of 10.8 miles) with no problems, though definitely some stiffness still knocking around. 2kgs put on since Monday 😅

Next week: Just more slow running. A rest day or two, which suits as I am probably popping over to London for work stuff. Might volunteer at parkrun. Maybe make it all the way to 10 miles by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

While my legs have recovered from Boston, other parts of my body has not. I have finally joined the "real runners club". Since inexplicably deciding that running was my mid-life crisis, I've done nearly everything on the list of being a real runner - ran a marathon, dropped out of a marathon, shat in a bush, ran a track race, ran a trail race, had a fall, joined a club... and now I've lost a toenail! One of my right toes looked really bad after Boston, but I totally ignored it until now. I was just removing some dead skin and nudged the nail, which then moved a lot... 😣 The good news is it's not sore, but I'm still too scared to yank it off. If that wasn't bad enough, my sunburn is still really bad. I've lost many layers of skin as expected, but now it has gone into a phase of agonising itchyness. I've never felt anything like it, and it's really impacting my sleep. If my kids have something sore on them that they're itching and making it worse I'm like "stop scratching it, you're making it worse". When I scratch my right shoulder it makes it a lot worse. Like it's massively sore. The hard part is going to sleep and then avoiding scratching it on auto-pilot when in a semi-comatose state, I've kept myself up most of the night a few times due to this 😔 Anyway, I got some cortisone cream and it's getting better. Wear sunscreen, kids.

The week with the London trip ended up amounting to a giant 18 miles of running over 4 days with nothing of substance. Not great, but no harm in actually recovering from Boston properly. Last week was better, still low milage and a couple of rest days, but with some substance. I showed back up to the club on Tuesday and did a bunch of running around the track which felt like running through treacle. I'd done my first pilates session since early 2020 that lunchtime which certainly didn't help, legs felt slow and stiff the entire time. The rest days were mostly down to, eh, lifestyle choices i.e. flinging myself into post-COVID life, going out to dinner and a gig on Wednesday (after a run into work in the morning) followed by a "welcome back to the office" cocktail party in the office on Thursday, so Thursday and Friday were write-offs.

I got a text from my pal from Rivervalley parkrun that he was going to do Malahide on Saturday morning, so I decided to do a tester to see where I was at. I ran Malahide hard enough, hoping to go sub-21 but finishing in 21:15, so I've lost 70 seconds in 3 weeks of a taper, badly run marathon and doing sh!te all after the marathon - not actually that bad :) Sunday was back to basics, a nice half-marathon distance run in the morning, going on my now favoured route of country roads north of Swords. This felt great and I speeded up towards the, admittedly very downhill, last few miles, but was a good buzz overall. This week was 44.5 miles in total, not terrible but happy with the quality over quantity.

Next week: Hopefully back to a 50+ mile week this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

If the toenail is moving, it should come out quickly and pain free. I would do it before a new toenail starts growing under the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

😄I can relate to the toenail. I currently have 2 black toe nails on one foot. If I was ever going to go full goth, I think the time has to be now!

Advertisement