Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playwright - Blackrock what's happening???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

There are 50 parking spaces in the carpark, that's a similar number to many aldi/lidl/tesco metro stores and should be sufficient.

The day of the "Saturday shop" is gone and I can't see where the traffic / parking issue is. Time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Further amendment to the planning lodged:

"The development will consist of Amendments to supermarket and car park development to include:(a)amalgamation of supermarket with adjacent retail shop unit; (b) uplift in supermarkets net retail sales area from 700 sqm to 1,100 sqm, net to include ancillary off-licence ( max 10% of net sales area); (c) change of existing first floor restaurant & second floor office space to ancillary supermarket/ staff areas; (d) extension and reconfiguration of existing car park to provide 66 car parking spaces; (e) provision of new pedestrian access on to Annaville Avenue; and (f) all other associated site layout and development works. "

http://planning.dlrcoco.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPDETAIL.DisplayUrl?theApnID=D18A/0892&theTabNo=3&backURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2255187%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%20%3E%20%3Ca%20href=%27wphappsearchres.displayResultsURL?ResultID=2651896%26StartIndex=1%26SortOrder=rgndat:desc%26DispResultsAs=WPHAPPSEARCHRES%26BackURL=%3Ca%20href=wphappcriteria.display?paSearchKey=2255187%3ESearch%20Criteria%3C/a%3E%27%3ESearch%20Results%3C/a%3E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

Dunnes are in talks to buy Donnybrook Fair. So may be a proposed DF rather than a Dunnes.

Looks like Musgraves wiped Dunnes Stores eye - https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/supervalu-owner-to-acquire-donnybrook-fair-37340222.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Very interesting. Also being reported in the IT .... https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/donnybrook-fair-upmarket-food-chain-bought-by-musgrave-1.3636851

I'd say it's odds on now that we will see a new branch of DF in the revamped Blackrock Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Dunnes walked away from DF about 8 weeks ago and it was obvious another retail company would go for it and Musgraves were hot favourites.

It will be interesting to see what Musgraves do with it - will the premium Supervalu stores (Blackrock, Churchtown, Sutton and a few others) get rebranded?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

CeilingFly wrote: »
    Dunnes walked away from DF about 8 weeks ago and it was obvious another retail company would go for it and Musgraves were hot favourites.

It will be interesting to see what Musgraves do with it - will the premium Supervalu stores (Blackrock, Churchtown, Sutton and a few others) get rebranded?

Perhaps they will implement elements of Donnybrook Fair into certain Supervalu stores eg. Donnybrook Fair ready meals could be sold in Supervalu stores and they could put things like Donnybrook Fair branded concessions such a Donnybrook Fair Deli, Donnybrook Fair Cafe or Donnybrook Fair Wine Range.

I don't think a complete rebrand would really given that it wasn't that long ago the Superquinn Stores were rebranded.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Perhaps they will implement elements of Donnybrook Fair into certain Supervalu stores eg. Donnybrook Fair ready meals could be sold in Supervalu stores and they could put things like Donnybrook Fair branded concessions such a Donnybrook Fair Deli, Donnybrook Fair Cafe or Donnybrook Fair Wine Range.

I don't think a complete rebrand would really given that it wasn't that long ago the Superquinn Stores were rebranded.

Agree that a rebrand of Supervalu is highly unlikely as it would dilute the DF brand value and I doubt it's what Musgraves will do.

The DF model is to stock a large variety of premium food products. Putting that merchandise on the shelves of Supervalu supermarkets wouldn't really make sense as the DF brand would be missing and your average Supervalu customer wouldn't be interested in Icelandic smoked herrings!

Dunnes would probably have embedded DF stores in Cornelscourt and Stephen Green as they have done with Sheridans Cheese and the butcher brand they bought. It's a different landscape with Musgraves as most Supervalu supermarkets are independently owned so it will be interesting to see if they attempt to integrate the DF brand into their network or if they will operate the brand as completely separate retail units.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most of the bigger SVs in Dublin are still owned by Musgraves so they could trial the standalone structure in those if they wanted to.

L1011 wrote: »
    Most of the bigger SVs in Dublin are still owned by Musgraves so they could trial the standalone structure in those if they wanted to.

It's all the ex Superquinn Stores that are company owned such as Blackrock, Bray, Lucan, Ballinteer and Knocklyon. Other stores which are franchise owned would be the likes of Churchtown, Deansgrange, Killiney, Dalkey and Mount Merrion.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It's all the ex Superquinn Stores that are company owned such as Blackrock, Bray, Lucan, Ballinteer and Knocklyon. Other stores which are franchise owned would be the likes of Churchtown, Deansgrange, Killiney, Dalkey and Mount Merrion.

+1 forgot about the Superquinn legacy. Blackrock will definitely be the one to watch in terms of how Musgraves will integrate (or not) the DF brand into SV stores.

I bet the DF suppliers are breathing a sigh of relief that in the future they will be dealing with Musgraves and not Dunnes. I'd also have predicted that the DF principals would have fallen out with the Dunnes management within six months of doing a deal with them.

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    I bet the DF suppliers are breathing a sigh of relief that in the future they will be dealing with Musgraves and not Dunnes. I'd also have predicted that the DF principals would have fallen out with the Dunnes management within six months of doing a deal with them.

Musgrave's are meant to be quite tricky to deal with also I believe. I know people in the industry who say Dunnes are quite easy to deal with actually as long as you do the job properly and don't f around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I actually see it fitting very well with SV's higher end / artisan focus in some stores anyway like Blackrock. A "concession" type format of DF @ SV could potentially work in a section of the Blackrock store for example (I am sure there is a market for Icelandic smoked herring in blackrock :pac:) but I d think the DF brand is very strong, and obviously they charge a much higher price for the same products so Musgraves would be keen to keep hold of that higher margin I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 forgot about the Superquinn legacy. Blackrock will definitely be the one to watch in terms of how Musgraves will integrate (or not) the DF brand into SV stores.

Blackrock now has Aldi across the road so a switch upmarket msy work

I actually see it fitting very well with SV's higher end / artisan focus in some stores anyway like Blackrock. A "concession" type format of DF @ SV could potentially work in a section of the Blackrock store for example (I am sure there is a market for Icelandic smoked herring in blackrock :pac:) but I d think the DF brand is very strong, and obviously they charge a much higher price for the same products so Musgraves would be keen to keep hold of that higher margin I imagine.

Agreed I think SV's ex SQ stores have fallen a bit behind in terms of being a more premium store which had been Superquinns main selling point. It's not that they have downhill or anything but they have fallen behind the competition. Dunnes Stores in Cornelscourt has probably overtaken SV/SQ as South County Dublin's premium supermarket. I would say they have lost some premium business to the likes of Donnybrook Fair so it's an ideal opportunity to wipe out some competition.

Some signals as to what will and will not happen after the Musgraves buyout of DF...

'Martin' is Chris Martin, CEO of Musgraves......

“We will keep it as a separate brand. Donnybrook Fair will bring us to new parts of the market,” said Martin.

As Martin sees it, the deal for Donnybrook Fair perfectly complements those two strategies. There are no immediate plans, however, to introduce the Donnybrook Fair brand into SuperValu.

“We need to understand the brand more before we look at doing things like that. Donnybrook Fair is a premium business. When you mix brands, you have got to do it carefully.”

Martin says Musgrave plans eventually to expand Donnybrook Fair’s footprint beyond its existing five stores, although not outside the Dublin area. More immediately, it will fund improvements in the stores, especially at its eponymous flagship on Morehampton Road.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/how-musgrave-worked-through-the-night-to-do-25m-donnybrook-fair-deal-1.3637333

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

They are recruiting, anyone know when it’s opening?

https://ie.indeed.com/m/viewjob?jk=d62511da7dbb712b&from=serp

There is scaffolding visible along the entire roofline of the retail unit, looks like some work going on to the frontage (rearage?) which faces into the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Moving2017

So today is the day... the store opened at 10am this morning... No more questions about what the old pub will become...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Moving2017 wrote: »
    So today is the day... the store opened at 10am this morning... No more questions about what the old pub will become...

Is it a Supervalu?

Many's the night I got well and truly pissed there. I probably still have some of the pint glasses I nicked for the walk home:D Always stopping of for a wee at the laneway into Fairy Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,481 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Is it a Supervalu?

Many's the night I got well and truly pissed there. I probably still have some of the pint glasses I nicked for the walk home:D

It's a Dunnes Stores.

I saw on a local forum, it was open today. I’m surprised there was no fanfare though. Did anyone go in ? What is it like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was in there on Thursday evening. Bar only spotting one or two problems in there today with trying to buy some items; the store itself inside looks absolutely brilliant.

I only live down in Castlebyrne Park which is only 5 minutes walk from Dunnes. If you are walking to it; you walk down a little stairway or wheelchair ramp beside the 114 stop on Newtown Park which is for buses to Ticknock Hill. There are steps to walk down placed outside the main entrance of the store in the middle when walking down from the car park. There is a trolley bay as soon as walk down the stair way on your right hand side before you walk through the entrance in the middle doorway of the store. The car park looks really nice when I walked in through the main entrance to the store. There is a fishmonger & deli store nicely laid out with some tables & chairs for the customers there having their food from the deli. It's quite unusual to have them there because I don't normally see that layout when I'm in other Dunnes Stores supermarkets throughout the year.

My mam wanted to get some food there today. I went up there with her to give her a hand. We had some issues with two items which was some bread & cat food. The cat food was the first problem we had with no price labels displayed for them on the shelf. My mam had to ask a Dunnes staff member for the price. It was the box of felix cat food & it costed €6.85 at Dunnes. We had problems carrying some Volvic water. There are packs of 6 1.5 litre bottles of Volvic Water sold in Dunnes. I tried to carry one earlier doing the shopping at Dunnes. It was really heavy. My mam said to leave it behind at the shelf because other places were probably cheaper. I had a problem with scanning a half pan of wholemeal bread as it didn't scan at the self scan tills. One of the managers there said I take one for free.

One thing that I was happy with though was a bag of Dunnes Stores rooster potatoes. A 7.5kg bag is there for €7.49 each. I was happy to try them out because I had been buying the 5kg bag of rooster potatoes at Centra in Newtownpark Avenue for several years. You should avoid them in Centra as much as possible. The quality & the taste of them are awful.

The food we got there had altogether costed us €27 which wasn't bad at all.

One thing that struck both my mam & I though was when we compared the price 6 bottles of Volvic Water in Centra & Dunnes.

The packs of 6 1.5l bottles in Dunnes were going for a promotional price of €4.49 each.

The same 6 bottle pack in Centra costs €6. They were sold out in Centra so we bought them individually & it added up to €9.20. :eek:

If you looking for breakfast cereals in Dunnes. There is not a really big selection of them there. Other places like Aldi & Supervalu are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I had a quick walk through the other day and I was impressed. Prices seem to be the same as any Dunnes outlet just a smaller selection.
    The only thing that I noticed/heard were the roaring clutches from the local "old dears" in the car park, trying to park and reverse their cars out of the parking spaces. They don't have to drive on the dual carriageway to get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

The only thing that I noticed/heard were the roaring clutches from the local "old dears" in the car park, trying to park and reverse their cars out of the parking spaces.

Sounds like the SuperValu carpark in Deansgrange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

Where are all the traffic jams the naysayers claimed would appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I am using this store quite a bit now since it opened, very handy for the bits and pieces. The locals I see are supporting it as well.

I am using this store quite a bit now since it opened, very handy for the bits and pieces. The locals I see are supporting it as well.

Me too. It’s not expensive at all and the €5 off for €25 is brilliant. I go every few days and stuff the pram. Always busy. I would say if the earlier rumours are true and Tesco had the lease, they must be kicking themselves.

• Advertisement

Do much for a small shop. It’s about to double in size ! Dunnes stripped the insides of a new Blackrock store before clearing the planning system

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.thejournal.ie/dunnes-stores-planning-permission-2-4553605-Mar2019/?amp=1

Advertisement