Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playwright - Blackrock what's happening???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

Something like the Union Cafe in Mount Merrion would likely work there. Yummie Mummies and business coffee's and lunches during the day, family dinners in the evening and a portion of the premises segmented to be an "old man" type bar where the locals can stroll down and enjoy a couple of pints and watch a match etc.

Maybe that ship has sailed but it seems to be working well in Mount Merrion where there is equally poor parking in the area (other than on the site itself) and surrounded by residential premises who wouldn't welcome big increases in local traffic etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Blut2

Something like the Union Cafe in Mount Merrion would likely work there. Yummie Mummies and business coffee's and lunches during the day, family dinners in the evening and a portion of the premises segmented to be an "old man" type bar where the locals can stroll down and enjoy a couple of pints and watch a match etc.

Maybe that ship has sailed but it seems to be working well in Mount Merrion where there is equally poor parking in the area (other than on the site itself) and surrounded by residential premises who wouldn't welcome big increases in local traffic etc.

That sort of combination restaurant/cafe/pub would actually probably be quite a good use of the large space. I could see that working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

There's definitely a market for a decent Supervalu / Fresh type store there.

Large local mature population with good spare cash and preferring to buy small and regular than "big shop" or having to go into Blackrock or Stillorgan.

Look at how busy donnybrook fair is in Stillorgan - or Supervalu in Mount merrion.

Though I doubt a Supervalu will be there due to proximity of deansgrange and Blackrock, so only real option is Fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭spillit67

Blut2 wrote: »
    Anything that resulted in a lot more vehicle traffic to the area would probably be objected to by the locals, though.

I'm surprised nobody has bothered to try running it as a pub again. By all accounts it was wildly successful for quite a while as the Playwright. Why did it change to TGIs in the first place?

It would have been a great location for a Wetherspoons if they hadn't already moved into Blackrock village.

I forgot to address this earlier, the reason it became a TGIs was because at the time the Morans were getting out of pubs to focus on hotels.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/moran-to-sell-off-three-pubs-1.1136096

We're another few months on from the last flurry of work and still nothing. If people haven't accepted it already, there absolutely no plan for the place other than the hope that some supermarket would come in and take on a lease to anchor some kind of mini shopping market. As cash flow allows, they'll continue to put money into the place and hope someone bites. I can't wait for the next time builders move in and the Tesco Express rumours start afresh. Then someone reading this thread will read a suggestion of the Avoca and it will spread like wildfire again. You could set your watch to it at this point. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spillit67 wrote: »
    I can't wait for the next time builders move in and the Tesco Express rumours start afresh. Then someone reading this thread will read a suggestion of the Avoca and it will spread like wildfire again. You could set your watch to it at this point. :D

Oh, the irony - you mock the endless speculation about the site and yet, in order to quote an Irish Times article from 2004, you drag the thread up from a month long slumber :confused:

jiFfM.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I had a pint in the Wishing Well this week. No price lists, no receipts, just asked for a sum of money....as dreary as ever. Took a stroll around the area. A few shops closed, a new Indian restaurant open, the little coffee shop just up from the Wishing Well seems to have closed down. The area needs something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I've heard it's being looked at by the Scientologists...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I've heard it's being looked at by the Scientologists...

Where did you hear that rumour? I don't think the 2 Catholic Churches in the area will be happy with that news.

They should realize that there is also a Catholic shrine located across the road in Marian Park which is located just near The Playwright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

Who gives a flying fcuk what other religious symbols or gathering houses are nearby or what their hierarchy might think about a bit of local competition? You make it sound like the catholic church putting some concrete on the ground in the area is the equivalent of a dog marking it's territory or a McDonald's franchisee staking out its territory into which no other McDonald's may stray.

Is it not a good thing to have as many churches/cults as possible competing in the area for those who want to be saved??? Is choice not a good thing???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Where did you hear that rumour? I don't think the 2 Catholic Churches in the area will be happy with that news.

They should realize that there is also a Catholic shrine located across the road in Marian Park which is located just near The Playwright.
    Who gives a flying fcuk what other religious symbols or gathering houses are nearby or what their hierarchy might think about a bit of local competition? You make it sound like the catholic church putting some concrete on the ground in the area is the equivalent of a dog marking it's territory or a McDonald's franchisee staking out its territory into which no other McDonald's may stray.

Is it not a good thing to have as many churches/cults as possible competing in the area for those who want to be saved??? Is choice not a good thing???

Eh, I think he was joking about the Scientologists :rolleyes:

They had just bought a building in town
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/south-dublin-community-disappointed-after-scientologists-snap-up-church-35936736.html

• Advertisement

frash wrote: »
    Eh, I think he was joking about the Scientologists :rolleyes:

Spoilsport ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

I had a pint in the Wishing Well this week. No price lists, no receipts, just asked for a sum of money....as dreary as ever. Took a stroll around the area. A few shops closed, a new Indian restaurant open, the little coffee shop just up from the Wishing Well seems to have closed down. The area needs something.

Back in the early 70s (wow that's a long time ago) the house beside the Wishing Well was split into bedsits and my family lived in one of them. My dad rushed in one night all excited because they had painted the place and it had been painted nicotine yellow. It was always in the shadow of whichever pub was on the Plawright site.

Could anyone supply the name of that new Indian?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭fmc3105

The indian is called Taj.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

coylemj wrote: »
    Oh, the irony - you mock the endless speculation about the site and yet, in order to quote an Irish Times article from 2004, you drag the thread up from a month long slumber :confused:

jiFfM.jpg

It was tongue in cheek given that fact, you're very perceptive.

Meh there's always opening and closings in the area. The strip down from the Playwright is full to the brim with the Newpark Centre fully occupied, Gluttony (I bet they wish that the Filler's Deli site was vacant when they were looking to open) and the petrol station. There's always likely to be a couple of shops vacant - the Playwright is just the thing that never gets sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭martco

noted a planning change recently on this site which makes me wonder if it is about to make a move into use

D17A/0484
    Full Description: Permission for Retention and completion of minor revisions to car park layout (50 spaces maintained) including landscaping and the provision of 2 concrete ramps. Change of previously approved daily delivery times from 09:30-12:00 hours and 18:30-20:30 hours to 06:00-08:00 hours and 19:00 to 22:00 hours

its the change of delivery hours that caught my eye

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

martco wrote: »
    noted a planning change recently on this site which makes me wonder if it is about to make a move into use

D17A/0484
    Full Description: Permission for Retention and completion of minor revisions to car park layout (50 spaces maintained) including landscaping and the provision of 2 concrete ramps. Change of previously approved daily delivery times from 09:30-12:00 hours and 18:30-20:30 hours to 06:00-08:00 hours and 19:00 to 22:00 hours

its the change of delivery hours that caught my eye

Sounds like a supermarket with those delivery hours. If they have an easy enter exit car park it will do well. The garage is always rammed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Sounds like a supermarket with those delivery hours. If they have an easy enter exit car park it will do well. The garage is always rammed

T****

• Advertisement

I wonder why it's changed from 9:30 to 12 to 6 to 8. The whole junction is a no go between 8 to 9. Maybe a particular retailer in mind.

Moving away from 18:30 makes a lot of sense. Madness to think you could deliver at that time.

T****

What ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What ?

the upmarket bijoux supermarket chain, T'Es-co?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Moving2017

It looks like the permission was granted, on 20 July however with deliveries and waste collection during the operational stage of the entire premises being restricted to 07:00 to 20:30 hours Monday to Saturday and 12:00 to 18:00 hours on Sundays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,871 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Such a pity, back in the 90's it was a great neighbourhood spot for a pint, decent grub, watching a match. I find it hard to accept there isnt sufficient money within walking distance to sustain that once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

My mam heard some recent rumor that it was going become a Tesco Express type store which will open on the 2nd of January.

I'm not sure if this is official information from Tesco as I don't want to leave people misinformed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

My mam heard some recent rumor that it was going become a Tesco Express type store which will open on the 2nd of January.

I'm not sure if this is official information from Tesco as I don't want to leave people misinformed.

Too big for a Tesco Express, but good size for a Tesco Metro and they did say they planned more of these in "mature" areas

My mam heard some recent rumor ...
    I'm not sure if this is official information .....
    ... I don't want to leave people misinformed.

If you don't want to 'leave people misinformed', don't quote rumours. We've already been around the block with Tesco, Aldi and Lidl.

I’m still holding out for Fresh 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Moving2017

Fresh would be good, I'd love an Avoca! But anything would be better than nothing...

I think Jan 2nd would be a strange time to decide to open a shop tho!

Advertisement