Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The end of life on earth next September. Are you ready?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I love apocalypses. I've lived through three so far - Nostradamus '99, Y2k, and Mayans 2012. Each time, the impending apocalypse provided an epic excuse to chat up and potentially shift friends the night before, and dispel any subsequent awkwardness with "sure the world's going to end tomorrow anyway" :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The mass ennui and disdain of AH focused to a single point is enough to destroy any mere space object.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Earthlings, I greet you from your future. Nothing has changed, it's all still really boring ENJOY

I love apocalypses. I've lived through three so far - Nostradamus '99, Y2k, and Mayans 2012. Each time, the impending apocalypse provided an epic excuse to chat up and potentially shift friends the night before, and dispel any subsequent awkwardness with "sure the world's going to end tomorrow anyway" :D

Haha I remember each of them well...I think there was one in 2009 too. Jeez there's so many of them it's hard to keep up. The Nostradamus was classic though - the sky seemed quite red that day, I thought it was a sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Can you imagine if this really happened? And Sky News interrupted David Cameron droning on about Europe, and deficits, and benefits... zzzz...to say BREAKING NEWS "NASA has confirmed that 'Earth will be hit by an asteroid and all life is expected to be extinguished'".

That'd be mad stuff.

• Advertisement

KungPao wrote: »
    Can you imagine if this really happened? And Sky News interrupted David Cameron droning on about Europe, and deficits, and benefits... zzzz...to say BREAKING NEWS "NASA has confirmed that 'Earth will be hit by an asteroid and all life is expected to be extinguished'".

That'd be mad stuff.

Understatement of...well all time really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

fr336 wrote: »
    Understatement of...well all time really.
    Imagine it. No ifs or buts...just Earth WILL be hit, and that's all folks.

What would happen? All the World stops fighting and some 'hands across the world' kind of thing? Would we actually start firing nukes into space hoping for the best?

Crazy stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Firing a nuke at a comet is a bit like firing a pellet head on at a speeding train. Sure you'll hit the thing but you won't stop the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

efb wrote: »
    Nicola Sturgeon mounts Trident as its blasted into the meteor! Freedom!!!

I have the weirdest boner right now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I have the weirdest boner right now...

She is naked apart from the stetson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Read the thread title and thought boards.ie was closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Starship Troopers type situation. There is bugs in that comet. The Roughnecks will save us.

Read the thread title and thought boards.ie was closing down.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,000 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

efb wrote: »
    She is naked apart from the stetson

Stop Stop!

I can only get so erect!

Stop Stop!

I can only get so erect!

:/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

It's gaining more credence daily:

"THERE IS AN ASTEROID WITH OUR NAME ON IT", SAYS Professor BRIAN COX

‘There is an asteroid with our name on it and it will hit us,’ Professor Brian Cox told MailOnline
    While the latest claims of a killer asteroid are unfounded, scientists have long said that these space rocks pose a major threat to Earth.
    In September, Brian Cox said we are at risk of being wiped out by asteroids – and we’re not taking the threat seriously.
    ‘There is an asteroid with our name on it and it will hit us,’ Professor Cox told MailOnline. In fact, the Earth had a ‘near-miss’ only a few months ago.
    ‘We didn’t see it,’ says the 46-year-old. ‘We saw it on the way out, but if it had just been a bit further over it would have probably wiped us out. These things happen.’
    The bus-sized asteroid, named 2014 EC, came within 38,300 (61,637km) miles of Earth in March - around a sixth of the distance between the moon and our planet.
    And it wasn’t the only one threatening Earth. Nasa is currently tracking 1,400 'potentially hazardous asteroids' and predicting their future approaches and impact probabilities.
    The threat is so serious that former astronaut Ed Lu has described it as ‘cosmic roulette’ and said that only ‘blind luck’ has so far saved humanity from a serious impact.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3116200/The-world-WON-T-end-September-Nasa-forced-address-radical-claims-giant-asteroid-soon-destroy-humanity.html#ixzz3cZp0m8wa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

endacl wrote: »
    Cool! Missed it the last time around!

Pesky Mayans.

:mad:

What ever happened to the ****wits who were so sure of that occurring?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Are they talking about YP139? NASA's Jet Propulsion Lab classifies that one as possibly dangerous but it's reckoned to be about 2,000 feet in diameter as opposed to 2.5 miles. JPL haven't said whether or not it was screaming. Bit tricky to tell, what with the vacuum of space and what-not. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

Maybe it time for me to discover the fire bending power i possess. The comet is near, who know maybe the avatar himself will give me a call.
    So finger crossed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

"THERE IS AN ASTEROID WITH OUR NAME ON IT", SAYS Professor BRIAN COX

Are we far away from having technology that might be able to have a meaningful effect against these asteroids.

Maybe there is a reason why I have always had this feeling that I shouldn't be taking this life thing too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Disappointed. Wanted it to be nuclear war.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

What's keeping that stupid comet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

It's grand, Richard Dunne will head this straight out of the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Misleading title is misleading.

Next September implies September 2016. September 2015 is this September.

I thought we had 12 months more than we really do,:eek::eek::pac:

Disappointed. Wanted it to be nuclear war.

Vlad the bad Russian is cooking something up on this front.

Ranchu wrote: »
    It's grand, Marouane Fellaini will head this straight out of the atmosphere.

FYP. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

That's a shame. I recently diversified my portfolio by investing in 5y Government bonds.

I think the old name for those bonds was butter vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

FYP. :p

Hopefully it crushes Fellaini right down to his turncoat toes.

Advertisement