Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2015 Thread + Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

I wonder will we get it at all in the near future, I'm doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

nokia211 wrote: »
    I contacted apple by email last night, we are NOT one of the countries. We will not be getting apple music. I feel like apple are neglecting Ireland lately. No Apple pay, no transit, no Apple music like come on

This is ridiculous. They have Ulster Bank signed up for Apple Pay, but no news of it here yet.

bertie4evr wrote: »
    This is ridiculous. They have Ulster Bank signed up for Apple Pay, but no news of it here yet.

I know for a well developed country, I still don't understand. We should have Apple pay along with the UK and Apple music. The Apple watch is still not available in Ireland. This is a bit ridiculous all right. I don't like how the U.S. Gets everything before we do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

If anything UK and Ireland should be grouped together all the time. Maybe omitting 1st tier device launches because we're too small, but for everything else we should be coupled.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    If anything UK and Ireland should be grouped together all the time. Maybe omitting 1st tier device launches because we're too small, but for everything else we should be coupled.

Why? We are a separate country.

We have a separate banking system that would require different agreements with different banks.

Music and tv is also licensed here differently so that has to be negotiated as well.

Also this perception that Ireland has been left out has to stop. I have looked up countries like UK, Spain and Germany and see that they mention the keynote and music whilst websites for Ireland, Austria and Netherlands don't. So we're not the only ones or maybe the websites just have to be updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭squonk

It'd be seriously bad if that's true. We're part of the EU which makes us pretty significant and we're also a satelite of Britain whihc makes the no apple music thing seem even sillier. Apple Pay I can kind of understand. There's deals and infrastructure to be rolled out and arranged with banks but the music app is just a long overdue major extension to iTunes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’ll be very surprised if we aren’t in the first 100. Apple haven’t published a list yet or even an exact number, so deals are still being finalised. iTunes Match is available in about 115 countries, including Ireland. I’d imagine the list of Apple Music countries will be largely the same. If we’re not included it’s because there’s something holding it up and we’ll follow soon after.

squonk wrote: »
    It'd be seriously bad if that's true. We're part of the EU which makes us pretty significant and we're also a satelite of Britain whihc makes the no apple music thing seem even sillier. Apple Pay I can kind of understand. There's deals and infrastructure to be rolled out and arranged with banks but the music app is just a long overdue major extension to iTunes.

How are we a satellite of Britain?

We are definitely not part of the 100 counties, I have emailed apple. We are just as significant as the other major eu countries such as UK, Germany France etc.
    Apple pay may take time all right, but we should be a part of the 100 counties and the Apple watch should also be available to buy

We are definitely not part of the 100 counties, I have emailed apple. We are just as significant as the other major eu countries such as UK, Germany France etc.
    Apple pay may take time all right, but we should be a part of the 100 counties and the Apple watch should also be available to buy

I would imagine that list is not finalised yet and there will be more info come June 30th.

Apple already have music here on offer so I can't see the issue with them streaming as Spotify do already.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would imagine that list is not finalised yet and there will be more info come June 30th.

Apple already have music here on offer so I can't see the issue with them streaming as Spotify do already.

Let's just hope so! I wonder will the Apple watch be available

Let's just hope so! I wonder will the Apple watch be available

You can order that now in the UK and use Parcel motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Unless you got a reply from somebody pretty high up in Apple I wouldn't take that reply too seriously.

I'm finding more and more Ireland are being left out of the fold, Apple Watch as a recent example. It's difficult to get the deals in place but I still hope Apple will have music for Ireland on launch.

Anybody else feel iOS is becoming full of bloatware? Now added to the pre-installed app list are Find my iPhone and Find my Friends. News will replace newsstand, iCloud Drive (which can be hidden) and I don't know if the rumoured "Home" app will be added or not in the final builds. It's really getting annoying, improvements to managing this is fairly up the top of my iOS wish list of features.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Apple want a 100 million subscribers by the end of the year, so it’s in their interest to get Apple Music to as many countries as possible, no matter how small the market. Having said that, the IMRO blocked the launch of the European iTunes Store in Ireland in 2004, so it’s not out of the question that they’ll do it again. But at most it’ll probably result in a delay of a few months.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Anybody else feel iOS is becoming full of bloatware? Now added to the pre-installed app list are Find my iPhone and Find my Friends. News will replace newsstand, iCloud Drive (which can be hidden) and I don't know if the rumoured "Home" app will be added or not in the final builds. It's really getting annoying, improvements to managing this is fairly up the top of my iOS wish list of features.

Many of these apps are so integrated into the system that they are features of the OS, not apps. This is especially true of Find My iPhone and, since iOS 8, Find My Friends as well. There should be an option to hide some of them on the homescreen certainly, but I don't consider them bloatware.

Many of these apps are so integrated into the system that they are features of the OS, not apps. This is especially true of Find My iPhone and, since iOS 8, Find My Friends as well. There should be an option to hide some of them on the homescreen certainly, but I don't consider them bloatware.

Find my iPhone lives in the settings app though, the bundled one is just for tracking so doubt it's in any way important. Same with Find my Friends, I haven't even got it installed and it has no affect on me.

I think apps should he split into core to iOS and extras. Core apps like Phone, Messages, Safari Camera etc should be there. But extra apps like Stocks, Tips, iBooks, News and the above mentioned should be in the AppStore as an optional download if you actually want them. Many were in the past, so I don't understand the change to forcing users to use apps a lot won't want.

I think most people now have a folder on iOS full of pre-installed apps they don't use and have no interest in. It gets bigger every year with more apps that can't be removed.

The problem is where do you draw the line between core and extras? Find My Friends has become so integrated into Messages that it can probably now be considered a core app. Having Find My iPhone as a downloadable app created a lot of confusion - many people think installing it is necessary to enable Find My iPhone. And if you make iBooks an installable app, then why not Music as well?

This issue of apps on the home screen that you don’t use is tied into the issue of whether Apple should allow you to change the default browser, email, camera, maps app, etc. There are former Android users for example who hate all Apple software and would rather use third party alternatives for everything.

Personally I have no problem just throwing these unused apps in a folder and forgetting about them. A few extra icons somewhere doesn’t equal bloat, not yet anyway. But Apple will need to find a balance.

The problem is where do you draw the line between core and extras? Find My Friends has become so integrated into Messages that it can probably now be considered a core app. Having Find My iPhone as a downloadable app created a lot of confusion - many people think installing it is necessary to enable Find My iPhone. And if you make iBooks an installable app, then why not Music as well?

This issue of apps on the home screen that you don’t use is tied into the issue of whether Apple should allow you to change the default browser, email, camera, maps app, etc. There are former Android users for example who hate all Apple software and would rather use third party alternatives for everything.

Personally I have no problem just throwing these unused apps in a folder and forgetting about them. A few extra icons somewhere doesn’t equal bloat, not yet anyway. But Apple will need to find a balance.

I think Apple could/will be deciding which apps are core to the experience. Off the top of my head, Tips, Stocks, Voice Recorder, FmyiP, FmyF, iBooks, News, Remote, Compass, Game Centre and Podcasts could all be moved to the App Store separately. Most of them were there to begin with.

Then have the main apps built into the OS. There's more benefits to this, obviously saving space on devices, the AppStore apps can be updated independently of the OS and if you prefer a third party version (which are usually more powerful) you have that choice.

I personally think it's the much better route to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I'd say Stocks is probably the most despised app, because I don't know anyone that actually uses it. However, the fact that iCloud Drive has - in beta - a toggle to show and hide the app means that Apple are ok with this idea of hiding apps. I'm happy with built-in apps, but I just want to hide a few of them that I don't use, and probably won't ever use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

someone email bono

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭retweet

Sure we're first on the list for Streetview in Maps. - maps.apple.com/vehicles/

Apple have replied back again saying that Apple music will be available in Ireland 2 weeks after the June 30th launch. So that's not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Sharp2012

Apple have replied back again saying that Apple music will be available in Ireland 2 weeks after the June 30th launch. So that's not too bad

That's good news, thanks for the update😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Zcott wrote: »
    I'd say Stocks is probably the most despised app, because I don't know anyone that actually uses it. However, the fact that iCloud Drive has - in beta - a toggle to show and hide the app means that Apple are ok with this idea of hiding apps. I'm happy with built-in apps, but I just want to hide a few of them that I don't use, and probably won't ever use.

My old Eircom shares morphed into Vodafone and Verizon shares over the years so I use it to keep an eye on them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Is anyone running the 8.4 beta? Any signs of Apple Music showing up in the music app?

Link
    Not for me any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Nope, nothing here.

Apple Music will be available two weeks after the june 30 launch in Ireland.
    Hope that clears things up

I think it will be an update of the app itself rather anything to do with iOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Advertisement