Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWDC 2015 Thread + Links

Options
  • 08-06-2015 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

Before the annual flood of "Where can I watch / follow WWDC" begins, here's the links and info.

Time
    Today @ 6pm Irish time.

Live Streaming
    Apple's Official Live Video Stream

You can stream it live from Safari on Mac or PC (think you've to install QuickTime on a PC with Safari, unsure), iPhone, iPad or Apple Tv.

For other browsers,

Live Blogs
    1. The Verge
    2. Re/Code
    3. MacRumors
    4. 9to5Mac
    5. AppleInsider
    6. cNet

Note: Most liveblogs don't have their pages set up yet, but check in from 4pm Irish time.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Also a list of some of the things expected to be announced later today.

12 things to expect at WWDC 2015.

A bit disappointed that the Apple TV won't be updated with the SDK and new hardware. I'm looking forward to the other stuff but it's something i've wanted for a good while and was the headline of the show for me.

Looking forward to later on, hope the stream is ok, last event was spot on for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Apple Store still up :(

Am I the only one not nearly as excited as usual for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

banquo wrote: »
    Apple Store still :(

Am I the only one not nearly as excited as usual for this year?

Yeah, it looks to be a fairly quiet year.

Tick year for iOS, tock for OS X. ATV was all set for its own SDK, which I've been waiting for every year since 2011.

Also, leaks.

Will the rumoured Apple Music service be available outside of the US at launch?

• Advertisement

Probably not, especially not in Ireland. We get everything last. I read somewhere that a lot of it has to do with tax reasons – because of their corporate status here, they can't do things like open an Apple Store. Might be other stuff they can't do either.

Walt Mossberg a minute ago:

"Since this room contains the world’s largest collection of Apple Watches, will everyone stand up en masse at 10 minutes before each hour?"

I've seen rumours saying they might actually have a massive rollout planned for the streaming service. So Ireland might actually get it sooner rather than later. We'll know soon enough though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I find it hard to believe Apple TV was ever seriously planned for WWDC. There’s only so much they can cover in 1-2 hours. Apple Music, iOS 9, OS 10.11 and watch stuff is enough.

I find it hard to believe Apple TV was ever seriously planned for WWDC. There’s only so much they can cover in 1-2 hours. Apple Music, iOS 9, OS 10.11 and watch stuff is enough.

Agreed. Tock year for iPhone, and won't be much to the next iPad (I imagine) with iOS9 being discussed today. Even with watch, ATV should fill out the autumn announcement nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

Apple Pay coming to the UK, I see Ulsterbank il listed, I wonder if We'll get it down south too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

Thank god that bitch shut up. Most irritating voice of the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

News; there goes Flipboard.

OS X was pretty small update wise, iOS 9 definitely the standout, especially proactive and multitasking on the iPad.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Probably not, especially not in Ireland. We get everything last. I read somewhere that a lot of it has to do with tax reasons – because of their corporate status here, they can't do things like open an Apple Store. Might be other stuff they can't do either.

This is not true at all and is an urban myth in my opinion.

Also we're by no means last to get stuff. Iphones we''re always 2nd tier of countries and iPads are also very quick.

Only late thing is stuff like Apple Radio and Apple Pay but that's due to licensing and banking issues, nothing at all to do with 'tax structures'

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Apple Music, meh

Apple music actually looks better than expected. Might try out the free trial, but no solid list of countries yet. Just a generic over 100 countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m really looking forward to Apple Music. I’m subscribed to Spotify at the moment but the user experience is awful. Apple Music’s integration with my existing music library is enough to make me jump ship and the new Music app looks like a big improvement.

Over a 100 countries. I assume we’re one of them.

I’m really looking forward to Apple Music. I’m subscribed to Spotify at the moment but the user experience is awful. Apple Music’s integration with my existing music library is enough to make me jump ship and the new Music app looks like a big improvement.

Over a 100 countries. I assume we’re one of them.

I was impressed in theory by it all. 3 months free ill run it along side spotify and see how it goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Spotify cancelled. Roll on Apple Music.

One consolidated library is the dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

IMRO is particullary aggressive, which doesn't help with the music stuff. Although Spotify works here so I don't see why Apple Music wouldn't. Perhaps the "live radio" aspect may be an issue.

Apple fixed the shift key in iOS 9. When on/off, the keyboard now switches to lower or upper case. Basically the way it should have been to begin with it.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/08/ios-9-shift-key/

Anyone ready to shout ' beats one off ' into siri?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

iCloud drive app

A new iCloud Drive setting in iOS 9 enables a hidden app that lets you manage your entire file library. You can find the setting at Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive > Show on Home Screen. After activating it you’ll find a new icon on your home screen for the iCloud Drive application.

I wonder will they start increasing storage

9TO5

So, Apple Music will be a very similar service to Spotify? I thought the presentation on this was not very clear.

Anyone else get the feeling that Iovine was reading his script for the first time?

I think we hold Apple to a preposterously high bar these days, and the leaks make it easy to be underwhelmed. I'll totally get Apple Music, and some of the UI features (even if a couple were ripped from MS of all places, it's not like MS don't owe Apple majorly) are super.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

So is it safe to say we're not getting Apple Music on the 30th?

The UK, American, Japanese, etc. Apple sites have replaced the iPod section with Music. But the Irish site still has iPod and makes no mention of Music anywhere...

Yeah, but there’s nothing about iOS 9, El Capitan or any of the WWDC announcements either. I think they just haven’t updated the Irish site yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭nokia211

I contacted apple by email last night, we are NOT one of the countries. We will not be getting apple music. I feel like apple are neglecting Ireland lately. No Apple pay, no transit, no Apple music like come on

Advertisement