Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Father Ted ever die?

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

It was years after that it came to Ireland. When they tried to show it, it flopped completely. All the English were like, is that what it's really like over there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Take this lump of sugar, baby, you know you want it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

@eternal... tell me about it, the amount of people in the UK that are ignorant about how things are in Ireland is amazing. They truly did believe Father Ted was almost more of a documentary than a comedy show. Given that my British relatives ask me stupid questions all the time like "do you have Sky in Ireland" (I often tell them we don't even have the radio yet lol) its probably not all that surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The fecking yanks are even more ignorant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

My gf showed me a couple of episodes (I am British, as is the TV series but never mind that)... Not really sure what the fuss was about... stereotypes so ridiculous they're not actually funny, the odd bit of slap stick which fails to carry and what else? Oh yes someone pouring tea... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I think the quote "the money was just resting in my account" will echo through time. :)

You're not wrong.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/06/fifa-scandal-who-implicated-what-happens-next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

That's enough of that anvilfour or I'll send you to Bishop Brennan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The show is almost 20 years old and still we have self-proclaimed comedians quoting the same 5 predictable lines on a daily basis in futile attempts to be funny. It is heralded as the pinnacle of Irish comedy, never to be unseated from it pedestal, and has assumed a bizarre status as a national pop-culture asset. Every single protest in this country is guaranteed to have several chromosomally-disadvantaged yobs holding "careful now" signs. How do fully mentally developed, mature adults still find this amusing?

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on? Frankly I find it embarrassing that we haven't produced anything greater or equal to it since. The continuous adoration rained upon it is cringe worthy.

I'm sure someone will gleefully rush in here to respond "if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall". Just know that your not funny in advance. Thanks.

I think comparing thanks with that response and your opening post answers your question...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I'm unsure which is more annoying, fcukers repeating the same shìtting quotes ad nauseam or the others telling you it's not an Irish but a British production.

About 8 on this thread so far. Who on earth doesn't know that at this stage?

Stop spouting it and expecting everybody to gasp in surprise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'm unsure which is more annoying, fcukers repeating the same shìtting quotes ad nauseam or the others telling you it's not an Irish but a British production.

Careful now!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Darpa

Down with this sort of thing. Up the Brits.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

I dooonnnnt belieeeeeveee it !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

About 8 on this thread so far. Who on earth doesn't know that at this stage?.

That would be an ecumenical matter.

And now to ride Mrs O'Reilly....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's Down with THIS sort of thing (as per DARPA) not THAT sort of thing that was used earlier :mad:

I knew a Fr Clint Power...

tis great, ah go on have another cup of tea

The show is almost 20 years old and still we have self-proclaimed comedians quoting the same 5 predictable lines on a daily basis in futile attempts to be funny. It is heralded as the pinnacle of Irish comedy, never to be unseated from it pedestal, and has assumed a bizarre status as a national pop-culture asset. Every single protest in this country is guaranteed to have several chromosomally-disadvantaged yobs holding "careful now" signs. How do fully mentally developed, mature adults still find this amusing?

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on? Frankly I find it embarrassing that we haven't produced anything greater or equal to it since. The continuous adoration rained upon it is cringe worthy.

I'm sure someone will gleefully rush in here to respond "if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall". Just know that your not funny in advance. Thanks.

Fawlty Towers is still being shown and acknowledged as great comedy. Good comedy is timeless

Rumour has it Don McLean wrote American Pie foretelling the death of Dermot Morgan

True Story

efb wrote: »
    Rumour has it Don McLean wrote American Pie foretelling the death of Dermot Morgan

True Story

Elton john wrote candle in the wind for him as well.

Cup of tea anyone ?

I love my Brick

• Advertisement

That's a lovely horse you have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

This thread makes me want to have a Fr Ted boxset binge tonight! Cheers OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

Darpa wrote: »
    That's a lovely horse you have

Don't forget about fekarse industries !! G'wan G'wan G'wan G'wan !

gmarty wrote: »
    Don't forget about fekarse industries !! G'wan G'wan G'wan G'wan !

have a cup of TEA !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

We as a nation haven't produced another half-decent comedy show in 20 years. That's the real laughable thing here. (Unless you consider Mrs Brown's Boys funny, then you're beyond saving)

This sort of thing confuses me. What does "we as a nation" mean ? Because Father Ted was produced outside of Ireland. If its Irish because it was written by Irish people then are you gonna include everything else Mathews and Linehan put their hand to ? Which is some of the best British comedies in the last 20 years.

Black Books, IT Crowd, Brass Eye, Harry Enfield & Chums, Fast Show, Big Train, Hippies.

The problem is that the best Irish comedians and writers get better opportunities abroad so they are contributing to the comedy scenes elsewhere. RTE are woeful, even Graham Linehan himself was ignored AFTER creating some of the best comedy shows in the last 20 years. He said himself on Twitter if he couldn't get a response from RTE after his career then how the hell are young comedians gonna make any head way.

That said some good stuff has come out of there. Savage Eye, Paths to Freedom, Bachelors Walk etc. Not nearly enough though given the amount of comedic talent we produced over the last 20 years.

This sort of thing confuses me. What does "we as a nation" mean ? Because Father Ted was produced outside of Ireland. If its Irish because it was written by Irish people then are you gonna include everything else Mathews and Linehan put their hand to ? Which is some of the best British comedies in the last 20 years.

Black Books, IT Crowd, Brass Eye, Harry Enfield & Chums, Fast Show, Big Train, Hippies.

The problem is that the best Irish comedians and writers get better opportunities abroad so they are contributing to the comedy scenes elsewhere. RTE are woeful, even Graham Linehan himself was ignored AFTER creating some of the best comedy shows in the last 20 years. He said himself on Twitter if he couldn't get a response from RTE after his career then how the hell are young comedians gonna make and head way.

That said some good stuff has come out of there. Savage Eye, Paths to Freedom, Bachelors Walk etc. Not nearly enough though given the amount of comedic talent we produced over the last 20 years.

Surely you mean that's an ecumenical matter ?

Advertisement