Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Father Ted ever die?

Options
  • 06-06-2015 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

The show is almost 20 years old and still we have self-proclaimed comedians quoting the same 5 predictable lines on a daily basis in futile attempts to be funny. It is heralded as the pinnacle of Irish comedy, never to be unseated from it pedestal, and has assumed a bizarre status as a national pop-culture asset. Every single protest in this country is guaranteed to have several chromosomally-disadvantaged yobs holding "careful now" signs. How do fully mentally developed, mature adults still find this amusing?

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on? Frankly I find it embarrassing that we haven't produced anything greater or equal to it since. The continuous adoration rained upon it is cringe worthy.

I'm sure someone will gleefully rush in here to respond "if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall". Just know that your not funny in advance. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

I had my fun, and that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Down with that sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Most of it was rubbish, tbh, but when it was good it was very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

Technically he died 17 years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Down with that sort of thing!

Careful now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

We as a nation haven't produced another half-decent comedy show in 20 years. That's the real laughable thing here. (Unless you consider Mrs Brown's Boys funny, then you're beyond saving)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

ARSEBISCUITS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

We as a nation haven't produced another half-decent comedy show in 20 years. That's the real laughable thing here. (Unless you consider Mrs Brown's Boys funny, then you're beyond saving)

The Savage Eye was pretty funny I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Atlas26

1st season of Moone Boy was alright in my opinion at least.

• Advertisement

The jokes are not funny. It's the cringeworthy situations that are hilarious.

Having said that, most foreigners seem to glare at it, dead-pan. The Spanish have a similar sitcom, called Ay, Señor! which is deeply unfunny but my Spanish friends love it. They think Fr Ted is dumb.

Good comedy often doesn't cross borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Tails142

I think it has entered culture much in the same way Monty Python or The Simpsons has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on?

Fascists dress in black and go around telling people what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mikom wrote: »

Looks like rain Ted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭ihavenoname3

what about paths to freedom? far better than fr ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As a nation, we didn't produce Father Ted. We just provided the material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭jonnypacket

Having said that, most foreigners seem to glare at it, dead-pan. The Spanish have a similar sitcom, called Ay, Señor! which is deeply unfunny but my Spanish friends love it. They think Fr Ted is dumb.

Foreigners will awkwardly feign laughter and agree that it's funny so as not to offend. We're trapped in an echo chamber surrounded by yes men so we're convinced it's the greatest comedy on Earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Indeed. I went to a Bollywood flick last yeara and it was almost sold out. Well the place was in tears laughing at it. Side splitting laughter, howling and I was like what in the name of God is happening. It was the biggest load of tripe you have ever seen. It was like I was being pranked.

I do like Indian films usually though (Piku, Bang Bang, two recent gems.. it's just their all out comedies that I find weird. So, yeah, spot on. Some comedy just doesn't travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

On a flight back to Ireland for Christmas last year, I was pleased to see that Father Ted was available on the IFE system. I switched it on and watched for about 3 or 4 minutes before realising it had given me all the laughs it ever would and now was the time to move on.

It was great then, but I can't see myself ever watching another episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Only problem with that is that it was a Channel 4 show, made for their UK viewers.....

Edit: it won 2 BAFTAs for best comedy, and was voted C4's greatest comedy series by its viewers a couple of years back (thanks Wikipedia!)... So unless there isn't a border between Ireland and the UK you're talkin through yer hole!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

endacl wrote: »
    As a nation, we didn't produce Father Ted. We just provided the material.
    you are right rte refused to do it so they went to channel 4
    it was funny but its constantly being repeated, i dont bother watching it anymore
    savage eye was good
    moone boy is stupid imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

Foreigners will awkwardly feign laughter and agree that it's funny so as not to offend. We're trapped in an echo chamber surrounded by yes men so we're convinced it's the greatest comedy on Earth.

But the poster was saying that foreigners *don't* smile politely at Fr Ted. I've found the same, most of my foreign friends who don't find it funny certainly don't pretend like it is. I knew one (English) guy who got quite ranty about how unfunny it is.

what about paths to freedom? far better than fr ted.
    Was that the one with Deirdre O'Kane? I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than watch that, or her, again.

The only reason I ever saw it, is it used be on TV just before 'This Life' on a Tuesday night. Not a comedy, but worth staying up for all the nudey bits.
    Only problem with that is that it was a Channel 4 show, made for their UK viewers.....
    Ah yeah but Irish and English comedy/social culture is pretty indistinguishable. I don't think I'd even consider the Brits foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

you are right rte refused to do it so they went to channel 4
    it was funny but its constantly being repeated, i dont bother watching it anymore
    savage eye was good
    moone boy is stupid imo

They never went to RTE. Graham Linehan was on twitter recently saying they never bothered as RTE were/are horrific to deal with and skipped them entirely in favour of Channel 4.

Savage Eye had its moments. As did paths to freedom. On the latter, its nice to see the guy that played the junkie moving up in the world: he's Roose Bolton (sp?) in GoT. He also does the voiceover for Mercedes doesn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I'm sure someone will gleefully rush in here to respond "if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall". Just know that your not funny in advance. Thanks.

Well, I have to say I think that you're a very rude man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

mikom wrote: »

And priests, eh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It was terrible crap. The same drivel in every episode. "Will you have a cup of tea?". "The money was just resting in my account". "DRINK FECK ARSE GIRLS". Any other 'comedy' that relied on the same few catchphrases repeated ad infinitum would be vilified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It was terrible crap. The same drivel in every episode. "Will you have a cup of tea?". "The money was just resting in my account". "DRINK FECK ARSE GIRLS". Any other 'comedy' that relied on the same few catchphrases repeated ad infinitum would be vilified.

And now for something completely different........

if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall

Just know that your* not funny in advance. Thanks.

* Or "you're" if you prefer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

The show is almost 20 years old and still we have self-proclaimed comedians quoting the same 5 predictable lines on a daily basis in futile attempts to be funny. It is heralded as the pinnacle of Irish comedy, never to be unseated from it pedestal, and has assumed a bizarre status as a national pop-culture asset. Every single protest in this country is guaranteed to have several chromosomally-disadvantaged yobs holding "careful now" signs. How do fully mentally developed, mature adults still find this amusing?

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on? Frankly I find it embarrassing that we haven't produced anything greater or equal to it since. The continuous adoration rained upon it is cringe worthy.

Well well well if it isn't Mr I'm going to tell you all what is and isn't funny. Too cool for school Mr mcgoo there pontificating like a priest on a Sunday.

Advertisement