Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Father Ted ever die?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Can I put me tool in your box

I love my brick

Feck off brick

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Never. It's a fantastic show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

The show is almost 20 years old and still we have self-proclaimed comedians quoting the same 5 predictable lines on a daily basis in futile attempts to be funny. It is heralded as the pinnacle of Irish comedy, never to be unseated from it pedestal, and has assumed a bizarre status as a national pop-culture asset. Every single protest in this country is guaranteed to have several chromosomally-disadvantaged yobs holding "careful now" signs. How do fully mentally developed, mature adults still find this amusing?

Look, the show was great in its hey-day, but maybe it's time to move on? Frankly I find it embarrassing that we haven't produced anything greater or equal to it since. The continuous adoration rained upon it is cringe worthy.

I'm sure someone will gleefully rush in here to respond "if you ever say that again, I'll put your head through the wall". Just know that your not funny in advance. Thanks.

Says you

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Chocolate

I can't stand Fr. Ted. Never could and never will.
    There, I've said it.

Aaah! That feels better!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Chocolate wrote: »
    There, I've said it.

Aaah! That feels better!

Ted is not a miracle worker. Your condition sounds incurable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Comedy is a matter of opinion,i personally like Fr Ted watched it when it first was out & still now but others think it's crap where as i think all Irish attempt at comedy is tripe Damo & Ivor etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Chocolate wrote: »
    There, I've said it.

Aaah! That feels better!

Yet you bothered to post . Red card !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Blasphemy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

tupenny wrote: »
    Blasphemy!!

Victimless crime. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Free Hat wrote: »
    The Savage Eye was pretty funny I thought.

Absolutely. The best comedy output from RTE bar none but it will never get the recognition it deserves because of Ireland's subservience to harmless uninventive material. Good on O Carroll for exploiting the fertile subservience but he is nowhere near a groundbreaking artist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

It's a testament to how great a comedy is, if it's still being quoted 20 years later. Just look at The Simpsons. The fact that it's an Irish comedy, just gives more reason for us to celebrate it. It had a great impact. I only wish that the Dermot Morgan was still alive to see what an impact it was.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

You've a face like a pair of tits!
    Well, at least that's a pair of tits between us!
    Get the fecking crunchies from the car!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gmarty

Every new idea starts out as blasphemy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

gmarty wrote: »
    Every new idea starts out as blasphemy!

Careful now!!! Blasphemy_law_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

The jokes are not funny. It's the cringeworthy situations that are hilarious.

Having said that, most foreigners seem to glare at it, dead-pan. The Spanish have a similar sitcom, called Ay, Señor! which is deeply unfunny but my Spanish friends love it. They think Fr Ted is dumb.

Good comedy often doesn't cross borders.

I've an Irish friend that never found Fr. Ted to be anything more than mildly amusing. Her French husband discovered it and absolutely loves it, as does his brother. It drives her daft when the pair of them settle down for the evening with the box set, she can't understand why they're so amused by it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Showed a few episodes to my gf who's Croatian and she loves it.

She said its amazing how at the time it was made, in their country, if they tried to do something like that against the church, people would have been arrested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

I'm so so sorryyyyyyy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I think the quote "the money was just resting in my account" will echo through time. :)

And what would you say to a nice cup of tea?

Feck off cup!

He loves his cup of tea!

Feck off!

Cup goes flying across the room.

Ride me sideways was another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

We as a nation haven't produced another half-decent comedy show in 20 years. That's the real laughable thing here. (Unless you consider Mrs Brown's Boys funny, then you're beyond saving)

Paths to Freedom and CU Burn were both excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭lickme

More Water!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Very Bored wrote: »
    Ride me sideways was another one.

Standing there, with his lad in his hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You've a face like a pair of tits!
    Well, at least that's a pair of tits between us!
    Get the fecking crunchies from the car!

Ahhhh hello father

OLeary.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Not only is it consistently hilarious with wonderful characters, it is one of the only shows that both myself and the missus both like, and she's impossible to please. If it's not a cooking programme, she won't watch it, except for Father Ted. It is outstanding.

Father Ted is funny, no doubt. But at the time it was even funnier because it was risque. Ireland was just emerging from the gloom of church control and Father Ted was a symbol of that revolution. Ireland is probably around the world the country that moved most quickly from effectively being a church state to a secular one. To not acknowledge the importance of Father Ted in this change is to be blinkered about the past. Its lost of some of that effect because times have changed so massively but its still funny even now.

You only have to see OHanlon as Thermoman in the BBC series My Hero to see a bad comedy show, just everything about it is wrong, and cringe inducing, not because of the situations the characters get in but the fact you are watching tripe like that at all.
    Fr Ted on the other hand was consistently original and funny.
    No two episodes were the same, even the ones that were two parters.
    The great use of Irelands actors, both comic and dramatic was wonderful and the whole thing was just a perfect storm of talent and craft.
    Of course there will be those who didn't like it, and they are as entitled to their opinion as anyone else but must acknowledge that the weight of opinion is against them.
    By the same token I know folk who loved it the first time around but don't understand the need to watch it again and again.
    I would be a variation, I watched it all the first time and, if I happen to flick to it on the TV I'll settle down and watch it, and still laugh as much.
    From Mrs Doyle learning the offside rule to Dougal remembering his jumper colour, from Fr Furlong to Bishop Brennan, the show was so much more than the occasional catch phrase or someone tripping over someone else's pet brick, though that was funny...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    You only have to see OHanlon as Thermoman in the BBC series My Hero to see a bad comedy show, just everything about it is wrong, and cringe inducing, not because of the situations the characters get in but the fact you are watching tripe like that at all.

Good God! I had forgotten that abyssmal series ever existed. I think we all should! :pac:

God, that show was shockingly bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Father Ted initially aired in England where it was a massive hit. It was originally rejected in Ireland and took a lot longer to catch on. The British obviously got a good kick out of Irish priests being so ridiculous.

• Advertisement

I loved the way the British thought feck off was f¥ck off said in an amusing Irish accent. As I remember, they were shocked that anyone would say it on tv because at that time broadcast language was much tamer, nowadays you'd hear worse on Coronation Street. Used to be difficult to try to explain to them the difference between feck and f¥ck.

Advertisement