Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Days

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

It was indeed short and sweet.

My first problem is that you picked one of the three dates everyone knows for WW2 (The others being the invasion of Poland and Pearl Harbour). The importance of D-day is greatly overestimated in Britain and the US and grossly represented in Film, TV and sh1te on the History channel. This was compounded by your flippant response to my question about whether or not you would be commemorating the launch of Operation Bagration.

My second problem is your rather vexed responses to those who disagreed with you and your inability to use the multi-quote function.

My OP wasn't about Operation Bagration. You want to talk about that start your own thread. Your "first" problem is I picked a one of three dates that everyone knows about. I know how how to multi quote.

**** off

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pa994

No matter what happens you are never going to get the complete truth unless it is experienced by you personally and even then some fool will try to deny it ever happened. War is an atrocity, but without it, science would not be where it is today so dare I say it, a necessary atrocity. OP after hours probably wasn't the best place to put this thread unless you originally intended on dealing with resistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Second wave always gets me. The first guys get torn to shreds, then the guys behind them who's lives they saved by absorbing those bullets have a moment to go 'okay, now I go'

fair play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

We should declare war on germany! Just for the craic like. See if they actually took us seriously! :D

War looked like so much fun... adventure, excitement, legal killing etc.

What is our generation's war? We live in such boring times... :(

Be careful what you wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Heckler wrote: »
    The day thousands upon thousands of young men threw themselves against Hitlers Atlantic Wall to free Europe from Nazism.

I've never served but have been to Normandy a couple of times for the celebrations and as the last survivors of D-Day near their end years I hope their sacrifice and that of their fallen comrades is never forgotten.

Speaking of forgetting, most in the West seem to have forgotten about the tens of millions of Russians who died fighting Nazism. So if we are in the business of honouring blood sacrifice, then we should acknowledge their sacrifice. Because without the unimaginable suffering endured by the Russians. Operation Overlord would have been driven back into the sea and Europe would be a very different place today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

You can be anti war and still feel compassion for the young men (many of them not much older than boys) who lost their lives to, what they believed, protect their country and its people, and the people of other countries too.
    They didn't start the war in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

The victorious nations always have the luxury of writing history!

What the allied forces did by dropping atomic bombs on two Japanese cities was every bit as gruesome as what hitler did in those concentration camps!

The japs were seen as a sub human species by many "right thinking" nations.

And the seeds of racism and nazism were actually planted in Britain and the USA.

Germany merely adopted those views and acted on them in a very proactive way.

In truth, Britain was probably the most racist nation on earth around the time the nazis came to power.

But history remembers them as the slayers of the great evil nazi empire.

Advertisement