Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day of Days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

dont mind them Heckler

unless you see family in old black and white photos in uniform and their medals on the table war means nothing

My father fought in war and my views are very much coloured by the PTSD that destroyed his life and killed him in the end.medals on the table. Ha. He threw his in the bin. Empty tokens.

No war is worth one human life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Your condensation is quite remarkable. Can you not have an argument without resorting to sounding like a complete dick ?

Heckler wrote: »
    Your condensation is quite remarkable. Can you not have an argument without resorting to sounding like a complete dick ?

I like turnips.

No war is worth one human life ? Now you have to be taking the piss.

I'm sorry to hear of your fathers experience but I'm sure, understandbly, that it has colored your view.

No war is worth one human life ? Now you have to be taking the piss.

You really should just try reading the link. I know it might take a few minutes and all but its quite eloquant and i really cant type it all out for you. Its quite late now so will sign off. Good luck with the parade.

• Advertisement

You really should just try reading the link. I know it might take a few minutes and all but its quite eloquant and i really cant type it all out for you. Its quite late now so will sign off. Good luck with the parade.

I'll read it. There ya go again with the parade being an ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Would have thought it It was Stalin's Soviet Union that won largely the war against Nazism, at great cost.

I read that. Dear God. Do you believe in all that ?

Absolute pacifism
    An absolute pacifist is generally described by the British Broadcasting Corporation as one who believes that human life is so valuable, that a human should never be killed and war should never be conducted, even in self-defense. The principle is described as difficult to abide by consistently, due to violence not being available as a tool to aid a person who is being harmed or killed. It is further claimed that such a pacifist could logically argue that violence leads to more undesirable results than non-violence.[8]

If you believe this nonsense i despair for you. It says that if someone wants to kill you its wrong to defend yourself. If you actually believe this you are bat **** crazy.

porsche959 wrote: »
    Would have thought it It was Stalin's Soviet Union that won largely the war against Nazism, at great cost.

At huge cost. And Stalin killed more than Hitler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

At huge cost. And Stalin killed more than Hitler.

Stalin was a sick puppy but he didn't kill more than Hitler. Going by number of civilians murdered the Nazis clearly killed far more people. Plus there is the wee fact that Hitler started a genocidal war that killed 40 million people and devastated our continent.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/mar/10/hitler-vs-stalin-who-killed-more/

By the by I trust you'll be starting a thread on June 22nd to commemorate the launch of Operation Bagration?

• Advertisement

Stalin was a sick puppy but he didn't kill more than Hitler. Going by number of civilians murdered the Nazis clearly killed far more people. Plus there is the wee fact that Hitler started a genocidal war that killed 40 million people and devastated our continent.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/mar/10/hitler-vs-stalin-who-killed-more/

By the by I trust you'll be starting a thread on June 22nd to commemorate the launch of Operation Bagration?

No I won't. Jesus H Christ I started a thread to commemorate the soldiers who fought on D-Day for a noble cause.

You can all just **** off.

No I won't. Jesus H Christ I started a thread to
    commemorate the soldiers who fought on D-Day for a noble cause.

......and the Red Army lads didn't die in far greater numbers for a noble cause?
    You can all just **** off.

Your lack of fighting spirit disappoints me.

Of course they did ! but I'm talking specifically about D day and the beach landings. Being the day thats in it ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The numbers are just mind boggling.Over sixty million dead is hard to fathom when these days loss of life gets so much publicity.
    It's all still within living memory . We're not that far removed.

kneemos wrote: »
    The numbers are just mind boggling.Over sixty million dead is hard to fathom when these days loss of life gets so much publicity.
    It's all still within living memory . We're not that far removed.

Its unbelievable. If it was a movie plot it would be rejected. A tiny meglomaniac tries for world domination. And look what he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Of course they did ! but I'm talking specifically about D day and the beach landings. Being the day thats in it ffs.

Each side remembers their own I suppose in fairness.
    Still D-Day tends to be touted as the day the war was won,clearly not.

Having seen so many documentaries about the Nazi death camps, the experiments of Mengle, many unknown stories of disabled and mentally handicapped children and psychiatric paitients killed in their thousands as a testing ground for Kyklon B, the cold calculated discussions of the Final Solution and having visited the D day beaches I can only praise the minds who put together a plan and the brave men who made it happen.

Each side remembers their own I suppose in fairness.
    Still D-Day tends to be touted as the day the war was won,clearly not.

They say the Victor writes the history. D Day was by no means the end of the war. It was the beginning of the end though after a shaky start.

Right about now 71 years ago 150,000 men (boys averaging 19-25) were on a transport ship off the coast of France, waiting to disembark onto a landing craft and assault the Normandy beaches.

And Kim Kardashian gets 100,000 dollars for 2 facebook updates and a twitter messsage.

It's all still within living memory

Agreed 100%
    We're not that far removed.

Have to take issue with this bit. I would contend that we are now so utterly distant from WW2 that we have no comprehension of what it must have been like.

I have no time for those who seek to portray themselves as solemn and reverential for events they had no had no hand, act or part in.

Official state commemorations? I've no problem with that.

Commemorations by combatants or their immediate family? Of course, by all means.

Grossly simplistic, cliché riddled attempted thanks whoring threads in after hours? Not for me, thank you very much

All I wanted to do is recognise D-Day. I'm bowing out out of this thread.

• Advertisement

Agreed 100%

Have to take issue with this bit. I would contend that we are now so utterly distant from WW2 that we have no comprehension of what it must have been like.

I have no time for those who seek to portray themselves as solemn and reverential for events they had no had no hand, act or part in.

Commemorations by combatants or their immediate family? Of course, by all means.

Grossly simplistic, cliché riddled attempted thanks whoring threads in after hours? Not for me, thank you very much

Any examples of cliche and thanks whoring ?

So you have no problem with state commemorations that might soon involve 1916 but anyone who was actually in WW2 and fought isn't worth a damn and there should be no recognition of the same.

Any examples of cliche and thanks whoring ?

Pretty much all of you posts so far.
    So you have no problem with statecommemorations that might soon involve 1916 but anyone who was actually in WW2 and fought isn't worth a damn and there should be no recognition of the same.

No that's not what I posted.

Official state commemorations and commemorations by those who were involved and their families are fine by me. Anyone else is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Agreed 100%

I had no hand, act or part in the liberation of Europe in WW2 and am in awe (you might call it reverential) of the people who did it.

I had no hand, act or part in the liberation of Europe in WW2 and am in awe (you might call it reverential) of the people who did it.

.....and my response to this is 'so what?'

Pretty much all of you posts so far.

No that's not what I posted.

Official state commemorations and commemorations by those who were involved and their families are fine by me. Anyone else is just jumping on the bandwagon.

Ok. I thought my OP was short and sweet. What is your problem with it ? You think it's me glamming on the date and hoping for thanks ? Look at my post history and you'll see I'm not a thanks whore.

.....and my response to this is 'so what?'

And my response is just **** off you annoying idiot

Is 1916 before 1942 ? so confuzzed.

Ok. I thought my OP was short and sweet. What is your problem with it ? You think it's me glamming on the date and hoping for thanks ? Look at my post history and you'll see I'm not a thanks whore.

It was indeed short and sweet.

My first problem is that you picked one of the three dates everyone knows for WW2 (The others being the invasion of Poland and Pearl Harbour). The importance of D-day is greatly overestimated in Britain and the US and grossly represented in Film, TV and sh1te on the History channel. Of course D-day was significant but it was far not the pivotal battle of WW2, matter of fact it probably isn't even in the top ten most important battles of the war. Added to that was your flippant response to my question about whether or not you would be commemorating the launch of Operation Bagration.

My second problem is your rather vexed responses to those who disagreed with you and your inability to use the multi-quote function.

• Advertisement

And my response is just **** off you annoying idiot

Does this mean your not coming to my birthday party?
    Is 1916 before 1942 ? so confuzzed.

That doesn't surprise me.

Advertisement