Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Pints at work, why not in Ireland?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Work when you're working, drink when you're drinking. If you can't separate them it's time to give one of them up.

I fully agree, to quote Wilde, 'Work is the curse of the drinking classes.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

A bottle of beer and a hang sangwich goes great at 1 o clock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

frag420 wrote: »
    You best not be smoking those leaves, it stunts facial hair growth!!

Frag, you're drunk, mate. I'm putting you to bed. And not in the sexy way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Frag, you're drunk, mate. I'm putting you to bed. And not in the sexy way.

What other way is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

valoren wrote: »
    Would you rather fly in a plane or ride in a Bus where you know the pilot/driver had (a) 3 cups of coffee or (b) 3 pints of Beer during their lunch break?

Back in the day, the 19 bus used to have its terminus at the County Bar Rialto.
    The drivers would be in there having the pint, doing their bets and watching the races. How times have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Arguing against it on grounds of productivity isn't a runner, anybody who's spent any time in Germany can attest to their fondness for beer at all hours. Breakfast beer anyone?

I think we can all agree the Teutons are famously productive and efficient. From what I can see they just treat beer as a refreshing beverage. Which of course we don't, as demonstrated by the 'when yer drinkin' yer drinkin arrrh' bs on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

mikemac1 wrote: »
    The women should be in the snug

The Diddy Parlour, as it was affectionately known by Dubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The Diddy Parlour, as it was affectionately known by Dubs...

ha- my dad used to call some pub The Diddy Lounge

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

T'was rife in the 90s, plenty of lads had pints in nearby pubs.
    Proper H&S kicked in then, Thank God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Arguing against it on grounds of productivity isn't a runner, anybody who's spent any time in Germany can attest to their fondness for beer at all hours. Breakfast beer anyone?

I think we can all agree the Teutons are famously productive and efficient. From what I can see they just treat beer as a refreshing beverage. Which of course we don't, as demonstrated by the 'when yer drinkin' yer drinkin arrrh' bs on here.
    When you have a name for rising early you can lie until dinnertime. :)

The cliche that the Germans drink beer all day is as outdated as the one that the Irish can't drink without getting drunk. Both are going the way of the dodo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

Being from London I was used to the lunch time drinking and every Friday straight from work especially in the summer, loved those days. My (Irish) husband found it a little odd at first, he was more used to going out when we were going home, which is what I found strange when I moved here as my in-laws seemed to think going to the pub at 6.30/7pm was a sign of a hardened drinker but funnily enough going out at 10pm till 4am wasn't ! Trouble was I quickly picked up the Irish ways while keeping the English ways aswell. First in, last out, took a decade to figure out which nationality I was. :( Also remember the days when pubs (in London) had to close between 3pm till 5pm.

Anyways..........who is for a few after work to compliment the lunchtime drinks??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,008 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

It's illegal to be intoxicated at work and we Irish never do anything illegal, especially in relation to drink.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Anyways..........who is for a few after work to compliment the lunchtime drinks??

"Well aren't you a nice drink"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I think that's the nonsensical attitude to be honest. Alcohol is a drug, the point in taking any drug is to feel it's effects - if you aren't going to feel the effect you may as well drink water or a cup of tea.

Unless of course you enjoy the taste of the beverage? The same way you'd have a coke...

"Well aren't you a nice drink"

I am a nice drunk.............hic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Unless of course you enjoy the taste of the beverage? The same way you'd have a coke...

I just love the smell of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I only get an hour for lunch. Where do people get the time to go out for a gourmet meal in which only a fine red will complement it?

Let's face it most people going for a drink at lunch are not buying an expensive wine or craft beer to compliment their meal. I can't think of another reason why you'd have a drink at lunch, other than to take the edge off. Doing that on a regular basis will lead to an unhealthy relationship with alcohol imo. Also alcohol is a depressant. Even one drink is going to make you more relaxed, tired and less focused etc. It's just not appropriate in a work environment. Coffee on the other hand is a mild stimulant and has the opposite effect. Not really fair to compare the two.

So............

So............

You monster!!! You should be fired and locked up!

• Advertisement

You monster!!! You should be fired and locked up!

For drinking at work or for using boards at work?

For drinking at work or for using boards at work?

They're both unforgivable crimes

I worked in a place where a few guys actually got the sack for having a glass of wine at lunch, which the employer would pay for.

This establishment is owned by one of the wealthiest men in Ireland (not Dinny), and apparently he objected to the wine being on the tab. Always struck me as a really cruel thing to do to a couple of hardworking guys. He fought them all the way to the Labour Court and won too.

They're both unforgivable crimes

Ah its only a crime if you're caught..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Was allowed about 10 years ago in a furniture factory where my father worked until one lad took advantage of it, coming in plastered to finish his shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I work for a large multinational with offices in England, Scotland, Ireland and on the continent. I work in the English offices sometimes. There is no lunchtime drinking. There is a strict (normal?) Drugs and alcohol policy. P45 time if you decided to have a lunchtime pint. The drinking lunch culture doesn't exist all over the UK.

I work for a large multinational with offices in England, Scotland, Ireland and on the continent. I work in the English offices sometimes. There is no lunchtime drinking. There is a strict (normal?) Drugs and alcohol policy. P45 time if you decided to have a lunchtime pint. The drinking lunch culture doesn't exist all over the UK.

Just have a pint on your tea break at eleven, all good!!

I love loopholes...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I only get an hour for lunch. Where do people get the time to go out for a gourmet meal in which only a fine red will complement it?

Let's face it most people going for a drink at lunch are not buying an expensive wine or craft beer to compliment their meal. I can't think of another reason why you'd have a drink at lunch, other than to take the edge off. Doing that on a regular basis will lead to an unhealthy relationship with alcohol imo. Also alcohol is a depressant. Even one drink is going to make you more relaxed, tired and less focused etc. It's just not appropriate in a work environment. Coffee on the other hand is a mild stimulant and has the opposite effect. Not really fair to compare the two.

You don't need to go for a gourmet meal to have a fine wine. There is a fantastic Italian bistro next to my office where they only have 1 item on the menu for €5.50, whatever the catch of that day is. It is great to sit outside and enjoy the meal with a nice glass of wine. And it doesn't take more than an hour either. Alcohol can be enjoyed without throwing it back.

Advertisement