Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Pints at work, why not in Ireland?

Options
  • 05-06-2015 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Working in Manchester and London this week, and most days the people I am working or meeting with go out for a pint or two(or a glass of wine) at lunchtime before going back to work for the afternoon. To me this has always been the norm, but it also made me realise that in about 25 years of work visits to Ireland, I've never known anyone to go to the pub for a swift lunchtime drink and meal.

Why is this? Does nobody pop out just for one or two drinks(well, usually 4 or 5 on a friday)?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭xhoundx

Anytime I used to go for a liquid lunch it always lead to a half day work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'd be sacked if there was any indication I had any drink on me in work. That and I only get one 20min lunch break a day. Basically don't have time to leave the office car park and get back so I sit at my desk. Also there are no pubs in walking distance of where I work, probably about 3-4 miles away to the nearest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

is that the issue? Funnily I've had one or two of my Irish friends say pretty much the same thing. They same the same about driving to the pub and just having one drink too, that they just can't do it as they always want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Yeah it's weird alright, it's the one aspect of alcohol where we're surprisingly disciplined.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

is that the issue? Funnily I've had one or two of my Irish friends say pretty much the same thing. They same the same about driving to the pub and just having one drink too, that they just can't do it as they always want more.

Well one pint and you are over the limit to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

About 15 years ago I worked in Dell. People used to pop down to the silver tassie at lunch for a carvery and a pint. Last place I worked you would have gotten fired. Things have changed in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Personally I don't see the point, a couple of pints at lunch = falling asleep by 3 o'clock.... we have a fridge full of beer in our office though I only ever see anyone have one on a Friday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Because how would it look if you leaned over to your neighbour or boss and there was a smell of beer off your breath?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Work when you're working, drink when you're drinking. If you can't separate them it's time to give one of them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Have done it a few times over the years.. between the rushing to and from lunch and not drinking your pint/glass of wine at a relaxing pace because you're watching the clock.. it just left me feeling flushed going back to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I often used to have a half pint/bottle of beer with my lunch, just because it went well with the food. Always lead to funny looks when people found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Yeah I actually drink to get drunk, not really because I enjoy the taste or it improves the taste of my food, binge baby, so wouldn't see the point in one or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

and they have the cheek to refer to us as drunken Paddies - they even have several TV soaps dedicated to life in the pub and yet think we have more a drink problem than they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Nothing wrong with having a few bulmers in the tractor at the silage.

Work when you're working, drink when you're drinking. If you haven't time to separate them it's time to give one of them up.

a nonsensical attitude. why does "drinking" have to mean having a skinful? In the UK and mainland Europe millions of people are quite happy to have on or two drinks at lunch without the need to be "drinking". I'd say that if you don't have the strength to just have on or two and then stop because "if you're drinking, you're drinking", it's then that you need to give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Maybe in Ireland 1 or 2 pints is seen as a waste unless it is followed by several more. You're paying around a fiver for what is a beverage to wash down your dinner.

Yeah I actually drink to get drunk, not really because I enjoy the taste or it improves the taste of my food, binge baby, so wouldn't see the point in one or two!
    xhoundx wrote: »
    Anytime I used to go for a liquid lunch it always lead to a half day work
    and they have the cheek to refer to us as drunken Paddies - they even have several TV soaps dedicated to life in the pub and yet think we have more a drink problem than they do

Yeah, can't see why anyone would make that assumption...

Maybe in Ireland 1 or 2 pints is seen as a waste unless it is followed by several more. You're paying around a fiver for what is a beverage to wash down your dinner.

Why is it a waste to have a drink of something you enjoy? Is alcohol just something that people in Ireland use to get drunk? Does nobody just like sitting back with a glass of wine or beer and relaxing as they have lunch? Seems crazy to me, but perhaps it's just a cultural difference. It's definitely not something I've experienced outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I work in London and it's not at all common in my office.

Sure, if you're meeting with a client it's a done thing, but a random lunchtime pint, doesn't happen and would be frowned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

a nonsensical attitude. why does "drinking" have to mean having a skinful? In the UK and mainland Europe millions of people are quite happy to have on or two drinks at lunch without the need to be "drinking". I'd say that if you don't have the strength to just have on or two and then stop because "if you're drinking, you're drinking", it's then that you need to give up.

I think that's the nonsensical attitude to be honest. Alcohol is a drug, the point in taking any drug is to feel it's effects - if you aren't going to feel the effect you may as well drink water or a cup of tea.

• Advertisement

I think that's the nonsensical attitude to be honest. Alcohol is a drug, the point in taking any drug is to feel it's effects - if you aren't going to feel the effect you may as well drink water or a cup of tea.

Feeling the effects doesn't have to mean getting paralytic, though. I'd never realised the strange relationship between the Irish and alcohol. I suppose one big difference is the way the Irish talk about having "Taken a few drinks" or "having alcohol taken", never hear it referred to like that elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm not talking about a skinful, I'm not even talking about one. I'm talking about any trace of alcohol at all. Drink away when you're off duty, but I don't want to be conducting with anybody under the influence. And you can argue till the cows come home, even a mouthful of a pint impairs your judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,692 ✭✭✭hynesie08

You're paying around a fiver for what is a beverage to wash down your dinner.
    You'll pay that for a pint of coke in a lot of places, might as well get something to complement the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Feeling the effects doesn't have to mean getting paralytic, though.

Not paralytic no. But one pint - or half pint if the English soaps are to be believed, is just an exercise in pure futility.
    You may as well just burn a fiver and drink a can of coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,639 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Feeling the effects doesn't have to mean getting paralytic, though. I'd never realised the strange relationship between the Irish and alcohol. I suppose one big difference is the way the Irish talk about having "Taken a few drinks" or "having alcohol taken", never hear it referred to like that elsewhere.

Im glad you speak for everyone ...

Not paralytic no. But one pint - or half pint if the English soaps are to be believed, is just an exercise in pure futility.
    You may as well just burn a fiver and drink a can of coke!

It's £2.20 a pint here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

The pub I work in doesnt allow us to drink or even eat there when we are off duty. One barman a while ago pulled himself a sneaky pint when he was finished ork and hid behind a massive bamboo tree in the beer garden to drink it but was sacked on the spot as he was on camera, even though he as off duty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

No harm in having one with lunch, or maybe a radler on a hot day, very relaxing way to spend lunchtime. Just as cheap as a soft drink too if it's a lager

listermint wrote: »
    Im glad you speak for everyone ...

It's a way of speaking only used in Ireland, so yes, it's the Irish that say it. Doesn't mean all Irish people do.

• Advertisement

I'm not talking about a skinful, I'm not even talking about one. I'm talking about any trace of alcohol at all. Drink away when you're off duty, but I don't want to be conducting with anybody under the influence. And you can argue till the cows come home, even a mouthful of a pint impairs your judgment.

What an absolute load of codswallop.

Advertisement