Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunchtime Pints at work, why not in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

I think many people would refrain from drinking during lunch hour for health reasons too. Depending on the drink, there are a lot of calories in beer and wine. Add that to the pub lunch you get and you've probably consumed half, if not more, of your daily intake in one sitting.

Apart from feeling flushed and less productive once I'd return to work after lunch, I'd also rather not drink alcohol when I'm not in a relaxed mood. Maybe the Brits have a problem with drink so? They can't possibly wait an extra 3/4 hours until work finishes to have a relaxing pint?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Would you rather fly in a plane or ride in a Bus where you know the pilot/driver
    We are not allowed to enter a bar in uniform for a coffee, let alone one pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wouldn't interest me. I likes my pints like I likes my chump-chops - around tea-time, and with a few more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Worked in a dutch company in Ireland and we had free beer. The fridge in the canteen had all the most popular longnecks as well as minerals.

Now you wouldn't grab a beer everyday but if you're working late sure why not. I often had a longneck or two at 7pm tapping out emails at my desk.

I now work for an American company stiil in Ireland where this will never ever happen and we also get the legal minimum of annual leave. We do have stupid dress up completions, elections for heros and you can be assigned as training champion. They love their cheer leading

Booooo to the yanks :(

Amen to that!

They really are the most miserable shower to work for. There is something quite eerie about the forced, false bonhomie you get from the yanks and, boy, do they want to get their pound of flesh from their 'workers'

I've often thought that the reason there are so many American companies in Ireland is that they get off on our natural subservience to our betters.

The English have a much healthier attitude towards Americans - a sort of understated superiority, resulting in far less 'scabby' behaviour by the sceptics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

More women in the workplace put a stop to that I'm afraid. Most men could go out and have a few but the women can't hold the drink and act all eejity when they get back to work.

That's the barmans fault

The women should be in the snug and be served only one sherry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

smurfjed wrote: »
    We are not allowed to enter a bar in uniform for a coffee, let alone one pint!

Yes Garda!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Its not practical in alot of places too, theres strict no booze policys on most plants and industrial sites for obvious reasons. Plus lets face, going for the one in ireland is a mythical legend.

And to be honest, if you have a afternoon of stuff to get through so you can get home on time, being slightly tipsy is no help at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I now work for an American company stiil in Ireland where this will never ever happen and we also get the legal minimum of annual leave. We do have stupid dress up completions, elections for heros and you can be assigned as training champion. They love their cheer leading

Booooo to the yanks :(

In my first job in the US, I worked in IT for an insurance company. Every Thursday I would be the designated driver for lunch. I'd bring three of my co-workers to a Mexican place for Tacos and $1 Margaritas. They would get well buzzed!

So, it's not a Yanks thing. More like a well run company thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

You often post on here late at night and seemingly inebriated. Would you say that your relationship with alcohol is healthier than that of someone who has a glass of wine with their lunch at work and stays sober?

We're not really discussing people having glasses of wine to compliment their gourmet lunch though are we? Even the thread title is talking about going for pints.

We're talking about lads that work in offices going specifically to pubs for their lunch so they can get a couple of pints in before they go back to the grind.That doesn't sound like a healthy relationship with alcohol to me, regardless of it being only 2 pints or not. If you are having a couple of alcoholic drinks in the middle of the day on a regular basis that doesn't sound like a healthy relationship with alcohol to me at all.

I just don't see the enjoyment in having a couple of pints and then going straight back to work. Drinking alcohol for me isn't about getting hammered, it's about having a laugh with your mates and relaxing AFTER a hard day of work just the thought of having three pints and then sitting in front of a computer for 4 hours seems depressing and very unprofessional. At lunchtime, a plate of food, a cup of tea and a bit of chat with some colleagues will do me just grand.

You seem to be banging on about how people not drinking at lunch is some great example of Irish people's inability to deal with alcohol. All I see iare responsible adults getting on with their day's work without feeling the need to lash a pint of Bulmers down them at half twelve in the day just because its a whopping 20 degrees outside.

Rarely enough I would do it, most times Ive done it are needing pint or two for the cure to get through the afternoon after a heavy night. Once or twice too where it ended up turning into a half day as one a lunch turned into leaving at closing time.

It wouldn't bother me in the least doing it, come in to work after heavy nights out regularly where I would be much drunker than having one or two at lunch (which would have no effect on me whatsoever) but usually I wouldn't be in the mood for a pint if I have to go back to work after.

Might have a shot or two alright from the stock of spirits we keep in our drawers at work if we are working late and having dinner in the office, that would be more common than a pint at lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

If I find out there is some sherry in the trifle or the gravy has some wine in it, that's it, that's me, I'm on the beer.

crybaby wrote: »
    We're not really discussing people having glasses of wine to compliment their gourmet lunch though are we? Even the thread title is talking about going for pints.

We're talking about lads that work in offices going specifically to pubs for their lunch so they can get a couple of pints in before they go back to the grind.That doesn't sound like a healthy relationship with alcohol to me, regardless of it being only 2 pints or not. If you are having a couple of alcoholic drinks in the middle of the day on a regular basis that doesn't sound like a healthy relationship with alcohol to me at all.

I just don't see the enjoyment in having a couple of pints and then going straight back to work. Drinking alcohol for me isn't about getting hammered, it's about having a laugh with your mates and relaxing AFTER a hard day of work just the thought of having three pints and then sitting in front of a computer for 4 hours seems depressing and very unprofessional. At lunchtime, a plate of food, a cup of tea and a bit of chat with some colleagues will do me just grand.

You seem to be banging on about how people not drinking at lunch is some great example of Irish people's inability to deal with alcohol. All I see is a are responsible adults getting on with their day's work without feeling the need to lash a pint of Bulmers down them at half twelve in the day just because its a whopping 20 degrees outside.

Sounds like a fun place to work!! Would you put sugar in that tea or would that be too much fun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

frag420 wrote: »
    Sounds like a fun place to work!! Would you put sugar in that tea or would that be too much fun?

Eh...what do you get up to on your lunch break that's so crrrraaazyyy?

Pints...........obviously!!

I had three pints at lunchtime today and I feel greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................................

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

That's nice, have you moved out of your parents place yet or are you still giving them 50 quid a week for food and lodgings?

Do they not eat food and drink tea where you work or do you help your mammy out at home with the washing?

Pints...........obviously!!

I had three pints at lunchtime today and I feel greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........................................

Eh... case in point, I think. Mr. Craic here can't handle his booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,123 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

That's the barmans fault

The women should be in the snug and be served only one sherry
    Yea but you get my drift. They come back to work after a few and start bring up things that happened way back, something that we had all put behind us. After that then they spend the rest of the time in the loo before they nod off.

crybaby wrote: »
    That's nice, have you moved out of your parents place yet or are you still giving them 50 quid a week for food and lodgings?

Do they not eat food and drink tea where you work or do you help your mammy out at home with the washing?

Thanks for your concern. I moved out of home when I was 17. Yes they drink tea here and believe it or not they also eat food. However we are trusted as adults not to get pissed at lunchtime. Because we are trusted in this way we respect it. Something that when I was working in Dublin was not forthcoming, most places micromanaging their staff!

Now why would I help my mother with the washing? From reading your post one could come to the conclusion that you had one too may sugars in your tea at lunch as its makes no sense!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why is this? Does nobody pop out just for one or two drinks(well, usually 4 or 5 on a friday)?
    Because a few irish people who couldn't just have one ruined it for the rest of us. It was gotten rid of in the early 00's as people would goto the pub, and come back after a few pints, but unable to do their job properly.

As the saying goes "he who shouts the loudest is the only one heard"; only the drunks were seen, and companies frowned upon lunchtime drinks because of these drunks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Judging by the name, there's some reefer madness going down. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Betty Bloggs

I think it's because it might be against the rules in most jobs and you would get fired, so understandably if this is the case people would not want to risk their job for the sake of a couple of pints that could wait to later. I don't know if it's the case for all jobs, but would a lot not have as part of your contract that you are not allowed attend work under the influence of alcohol or certain other substances?

Is your own job a 1 hour break or longer, and if it 1 hour is everybody back from the pub/restaurant on time always?

A lot of people don't get a full hour for their breaks either. Some jobs split the break between a short mid morning break and then maybe a half hour break in the afternoon for lunch. In these jobs most people either bring their own lunch or eat food on the premises that is provided by the company.

Even if lucky enough to get a full hour lunch break, by the time you walk to a place to eat, wait for your food order and then eat your lunch it is usually time to to start walking back to work again. There wouldn't be time to go to the pub for 1 or 2 pints after food.

I get though that you are also suggesting having alcohol with the lunch food such as a glass of wine and maybe in some jobs this would be ok. It just doesn't seem to really be the norm over here though and I think a lot of the reason why is because of company policies forbidding it and also because it's just not as enjoyable when it it restricted to a short rushed timeframe.

If I'm having a drink I like to have the time to enjoy it. I don't drink wine but my friends who do enjoy a glass of wine with their food tend to like it as part of long leisurely relaxed meals either after work or at the weekend. I don't see the appeal in drinking 2 pints in the space of about of 45 minutes relaxing or enjoyable either. Stomach would feel so full along with the food and would lead to lethargy and being uncomfortably full when I got back to work.

Even a glass of wine does have a relaxing effect on the brain and yes whilst people might enjoy the way wine enhances the flavours and their food experience, due to the also present relaxing effect most people prefer to keep the glass of wine for a time when they are finished work and free to relax and not restricted to about 45 mins and then having to go back to do a pile of work after drinking it.

I don't think you have a problem for liking to have drinks in your lunch hour. If you enjoy it, and it is not against your work rules, then you are not harming anybody and do whatever you like.

I don't think it's fair to suggest though that people who do like to keep alcohol separate from their working day must have a problem with alcohol or that they most only drink to get drunk etc.

Several people enjoy the taste of alcohol and can have one or two drinks without getting drunk but they choose to separate it from their work day as it helps to keep them focused.

It's no harm really to differentiate between the two different stages of the day. For many, work time is highly focussed and will require your full concentration and following regulations, doing your best, being in quick mental shape etc. The lunch hour is included in that working day and you are not really off the clock until you are finished for the day.

If you are able to mentally switch yourself "off the clock" for your lunch break and manage to find a short break relaxing and then can mentally switch yourself back to "professional mode" for the afternoon work, then fair play there's nothing wrong with that if it works for you.

I think for some though it's just personal preference to separate the two stages of the day and that they enjoy their glass of wine more with a dinner in the evening time or weekend, not because they plan to get pissed after this glass of whatever but more because they just find it more relaxing and enjoyable when they are fully "off the clock" and not having to go back to face a mountain of work afterwards.

The separation of "work mode" and "free time" is very distinct here in Ireland and I think it is surely the same in the UK and worldwide to have this separation. We just include alcohol in the distinction too but I doubt we are unique in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

About 8 years ago I worked in the UK and going out for a lunch with a glass of beer / wine was a norm. It was really good company to work for (pity the money wasn't good).

Team spirit was good, job was done and everyone was in good mood.
    We only did it on Fridays iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Used to go for pints of a lunchtime Friday in my first job

I was falling asleep by 3 and nothing was done

John Delaney, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

No surprise you were falling asleep:D

Judging by the name, there's some reefer madness going down. :pac:

It's a bleeding' hormonal imbalance, roi?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I'm talking about frag420

I think he reefering to me............see what I did there!!

I'm talking about frag420

Yeah well..... ye better have been! *shakes fist in the air and leaves...*

• Advertisement

Yeah well..... ye better have been! *shakes fist in the air and leaves...*

You best not be smoking those leaves, it stunts facial hair growth!!

Advertisement