Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about life and getting older?

Options
  • 03-06-2015 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

This is a question directed at everybody, regardless of age.

Although I think that your specific age is irrelevant, because it's all relative, feel free to state your age when answering the question, as it may give some context to your response.

The reason that I'm posing this question is because I am finding myself particularly struggling with getting older, for the past couple of years. I mean, I'm really struggling.

For the purposes of context regarding my own personal story, I'm 28. I feel the same as I did when I was 19. I feel like my mind is the same as it was when I was 19, besides all of the extra experiences and what I have learned from them. But it has hit me like a tonne of bricks. When I think about what age I am, it really stops me in my tracks for a few moments.

It's not about the fact that I'm 28 - I know that that's a relatively young age. And it's not jealousy of younger people, because I know that they, too, will be in the same position in a matter of a few short years, and that will come as fast for them as it has for me. But I'm just finding it difficult to process the ageing process.

Regardless of your age, 90 or 19, how have you been finding the ageing process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Finding that time flies and I'll be gone before you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I get older and all the college girls stay the same. It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,285 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm 40, never felt as good as I do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

All I know is that time makes you bolder, even children get older, and I'm getting older too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Same way I feel about death. Sucks balls, would rather it didn't happen, but can't effect it, so worrying about it is only going to detract from my current enjoyment of life. There's a little folder in my brain where I drag and drop these things, then encrypt it, and it stays there... until it gets hacked one day and it all comes spilling out in one huge big mess and ends up with my face splashed across 24 hour news stations with little quotes flying by underneath from my former neighbors along the lines of "he was always such a nice guy, kept himself to himself mostly... You just don't expect these kinds of things to happen in a town like this...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thought we just had this discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,728 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I am not 40 yet but will be in the next 12 months...I don't mind getting older, looking after your health is the important thing with eating the right foods and exercise.
    Happy with life, planning for the future, age is just a number, but the other day a 92 year old woman completed a marathon. There is a lot of life left, once we stay alive to live it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

genericguy wrote: »
    I get older and all the college girls stay the same. It's great.

Formaldehyde?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

looksee wrote: »
    I thought we just had this discussion?
    Yeah, three years ago. That's old age for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

DareGod wrote: »
    This is a question directed at everybody, regardless of age.

Although I think that your specific age is irrelevant, because it's all relative, feel free to state your age when answering the question, as it may give some context to your response.

The reason that I'm posing this question is because I am finding myself particularly struggling with getting older, for the past couple of years. I mean, I'm really struggling.

For the purposes of context regarding my own personal story, I'm 28. I feel the same as I did when I was 19. I feel like my mind is the same as it was when I was 19, besides all of the extra experiences and what I have learned from them. But it has hit me like a tonne of bricks. When I think about what age I am, it really stops me in my tracks for a few moments.

It's not about the fact that I'm 28 - I know that that's a relatively young age. And it's not jealousy of younger people, because I know that they, too, will be in the same position in a matter of a few short years, and that will come as fast for them as it has for me. But I'm just finding it difficult to process the ageing process.

Regardless of your age, 90 or 19, how have you been finding the ageing process?
    Look at it this way every day you are alive is a day less of your life and a day closer to death :) At 28 you shouldn't be worrying about aging in fact at any age you shouldn't worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,065 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yeah, three years ago. That's old age for ya.

It was this thread I was thinking of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057400740
    comes to much the same thing, doesn't it? Ok well maybe not :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

The key is not doing the things you're expected to be doing at your age.

If you follow the plan, exactly how "the man" tells you to - well you can't complain if one day you end up being a worn out cog in "the machine". ;)

Screw "the man", screw "the machine"... Screw that number it says on your birth cert too!!

Be unpredictable. Take on risks constantly!

Everything boring old people do or say - do the complete opposite of whatever that is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The key is not doing the things you're expected to be doing at your age.

If you follow the plan, exactly how "the man" tells you to - well you can't complain if one day you end up being a worn out cog in "the machine". ;)

Screw "the man", screw "the machine"... Screw that number it says on your birth cert too!!

Be unpredictable. Take on risks constantly!

Everything boring old people do or say - do the complete opposite of whatever that is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

i enjoy it and hopefully i will learn a lot more in the future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

As a 30 year old I can't say I'm too bothered about it, I think you're problem is that you identify as young person. It's just a number that represents how long you've been alive, you're age isn't who you are.

Yes! That's exactly it. I don't know how to function as an" older" person. I knew how to be 18 or 19. I have no idea how to feel as an older person. I know it says all about me and nothing about life itself.

Look, I know that none of this means anything. It's all irrelevant. Life is life, regardless of age. I don't for one second believe that an 70 year old person is "old." I don't believe a 100 year old person is "old." It's not about defining an age. It's about your mental ability to deal with the ageing process. And I know there are much more important things to be thinking about, like homelesness, chronic pain, terminal illness, and depression. But it's just a fluff thread about a fluff topic. But I am struggling with the topic at hand.

I spent so long in Uni that I feel I've only started to live my fully adult life now, at 28. A career, instead of student part-timers, buying a 'proper' car instead of either inheriting a banger or buying the cheapest one for sale second hand, trying to eat with a view to health instead of convenience, regular dental checkups instead of waiting for the toothache...all grown up stuff that I surprise myself with sometimes. Its' like I grew up when I wasn't looking. It's different, but it's better with every passing year and I've no reason to think that'll change for a long time yet.

The only part of you that you have some control over ageing is your brain, keep it up to date and running and you'll never be 'old'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I'm 41, just had my 5th baby 6 months ago and I don't feel any older than I did when I was 19. To me age is just a number, I never think that I am 41 and as a result people who meet me who find out my age are very surprised! I think young therefore I am young!

Death? I laugh at death! Wtf will i care? I'll be dead :D ( I had a near death experience that took the mystery out of it! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm 42 and don't really feel any older than when I was in my early 20's. Aging has pros and cons, on the pros side I feel more confident in myself and have a much lower bulls*it tolerance level. Physically, the creases take longer to fill out of my face when I get up in the morning and I've got a few more lines and some extra weight that I'm working on losing. At various times in life I think we all get a bit hung up on getting older but it passes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

A guy in work was saying a few weeks ago that the experts reckon the first person to live to be aged 150 has been born already.

I never pushed him for his source.

Interesting all the same if potentially true..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

28 is old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I have forgotten more than most boardsies have ever known. I am old.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Prob fitter and healthier now (36) than I ever was during my 20's.
    Don't worry about getting old but the time does fly by!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

kfallon wrote: »
    the time does fly by!
    That is the really sucky part. How the utter fuq is 2011 four years ago?!
    The CIA has shortened the second as a unit of time. I'm convinced of it. :mad:

That is the really sucky part. How the utter fuq is 2011 four years ago?!
    The CIA has shortened the second as a unit of time. I'm convinced of it. :mad:

I know, it's been 13 years since the Saipan incident :eek: Feels like about 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

kfallon wrote: »
    I know, it's been 13 years since the Saipan incident :eek: Feels like about 5
    My godson was born at that time (his mother went into labour during Ireland v Saudi Arabia). No way can that little baby boy be nearly 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm 71 and have never thought about age at all. Life is good and full.

My godson was born at that time (his mother went into labour during Ireland v Saudi Arabia). No way can that little baby boy be nearly 13.

On the plus side, my Euro '88 jersey still fits me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

cbyrd wrote: »
    I'm 41, just had my 5th baby 6 months ago and I don't feel any older than I did when I was 19. To me age is just a number, I never think that I am 41 and as a result people who meet me who find out my age are very surprised! I think young therefore I am young!

Death? I laugh at death! Wtf will i care? I'll be dead :D ( I had a near death experience that took the mystery out of it! )

I have to laugh at people that believe they look years younger than their age. You think young therefore you are young until you look in a mirror and reality hits you a slap :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I feel much older than my mid-twenties right now. There's been a few deaths of close people in my life recently, most of them not much older than me.

It has me terrified about my family growing older and makes me constantly worry about us all ageing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

When it bothers me I remind myself that I'll never be as young as I am right this second, rather than feel more depressed it makes me feel a bit younger and motivates me to enjoy the present. There's nothing that can be done about the passage of time anyway, all that matters is that you use the time you have well.

Advertisement