Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you feel about life and getting older?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

It reminds me that one day I'll be looking back and I don't want to have wasted my life or wishing I had done this that or the other
    So get out there and make it a good one and be happy as much as you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Reminds me I have about 15 good years ahead then unless I win the lotto in the meantime the future is uncertain..I expect ill health given my excess's to date..hopefully the hse will sort itself out ..even gerry dying on the telly cant convince to quit smoking but enjoying life at the moment day to day . It true what they say time does fly and ten years will get behind you no bother..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It Sucks. Next?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I'm 40, never felt as good as I do now.

No, it's just that it's so long ago now that you don't remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Enjoy every moment...lifes great..ive less left than ive completed but feeling great, eating well, exercising like mad, have great friends, great kids, fab partner, great sexlife....fcuk it dont fret...live life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Health is really important.

To any smokers here, choose swimming or a sport and don't indulge the nicotene monkey on your back. You can do it.

Recently got over a 6 week lung infection and realise without health you are in trouble.

Look after yourself, respect your body.

I love meeting good people there are many out there. Looking forward to some travel in the future.

I've asked v old people advice for me, what i should do with my life ..... They say .... Drink as much good whiskey as poss and have as much sex as poss.

Tell me something I don't know !

Live long and prosper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

DareGod wrote: »
    This is a question directed at everybody, regardless of age.

Although I think that your specific age is irrelevant, because it's all relative, feel free to state your age when answering the question, as it may give some context to your response.

The reason that I'm posing this question is because I am finding myself particularly struggling with getting older, for the past couple of years. I mean, I'm really struggling.

For the purposes of context regarding my own personal story, I'm 28. I feel the same as I did when I was 19. I feel like my mind is the same as it was when I was 19, besides all of the extra experiences and what I have learned from them. But it has hit me like a tonne of bricks. When I think about what age I am, it really stops me in my tracks for a few moments.

It's not about the fact that I'm 28 - I know that that's a relatively young age. And it's not jealousy of younger people, because I know that they, too, will be in the same position in a matter of a few short years, and that will come as fast for them as it has for me. But I'm just finding it difficult to process the ageing process.

Regardless of your age, 90 or 19, how have you been finding the ageing process?

It could be a melancholic condition. Depressed, perhaps.
    Midlife crisis at 28? possible.

As for me, I have led an active life and never thought about age. When I was in my 20's___reaching 50 seemed light-years-away.[how's that for complacently?]
    Truthfully, I woke up one morning and glancing into the looking-glass, I realized that I was no longer youthful . It was a particular and deeply personal moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Snap OP. Im a mess with my age at the moment. Given up on a career i worked hard at all through my 20s as it turns out its not gonna go very far. Not sure what the phase is. No savings. No money to save. And im 30 in a few weeks. Still feel 20. Maybe ill just work later into life. Or maybe ill win the lotto.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

"Age is just an number"

No, it's not. It's a three letter word. And I don't like three letter words.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

my grandson just sat his leaving cert, big wow. Where did my life go. 4 kids, 7 grandkids, divorced at 53, remarried at 53, shi* health, in a wheelchair, but f*** it, life is good.

thank god/allah for dignitas that will be my last holiday

• Advertisement

I guess it has not struck me as something to think about yet. Too much going on. And with the constant training and health regimes I am under I have felt more like I have been getting younger and fitter over the last decade than older.

But at 36 with 2 kids - 2 more planned starting around when I am 38 - and my 40s on the horizon - I guess it will not be so long before such thoughts will start to pop into mind. A slow down and inevitable decline can not be SO far away in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

43 here, my health wouldn't be great and it restricts me from doing things I'd like to.
    But getting older doesn't bother me for my own sake, I have two kids 12 &6, getting older just brings me closer to a time when I'm no longer about to enjoy being with my kids, the thought of that makes me unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

How do I feel about getting older?

Well, seems to be that I spent the first half of my life worrying about the future, and I'm spending the second half regretting the past. Then bang, I'll be dead.

Still waiting for that magic day where my life is going to kick off and everything will be great.

You have a leaving cert son? Get a degree. You have a degree? Get a job. You have a job? Get a better job. You have a house? Get a better house. Your wife just turned 40? You have to trade her in for two 20 year olds.

Seems to be constantly shifting goal posts, and you never start living. Constantly working towards this mystery day where you can eventually start living.

Lesson is guys, just live for now. You are alive. Enjoy your friends, family, and change your perspective. It's not the way the world is that determines your happiness, it's how you see it. Family is by far the most valuable asset you have.

Fran1985 wrote: »
    Snap OP. Im a mess with my age at the moment. Given up on a career i worked hard at all through my 20s as it turns out its not gonna go very far. Not sure what the phase is. No savings. No money to save. And im 30 in a few weeks. Still feel 20. Maybe ill just work later into life. Or maybe ill win the lotto.

You still have time to take a different turning. Ah! 30, you say. I wish I were 30!
    'Time and Tide Waits for no Man. [that same flower that blooms to-day, to-morrow will be wilting] Don't bemoan your plight, there is a big world out there. >>>>It's all up to you! :)[/I
    ]

myshirt wrote: »
    How do I feel about getting older?

Well, seems to be that I spent the first half of my life worrying about the future, and I'm spending the second half regretting the past. Then bang, I'll be dead.

Still waiting for that magic day where my life is going to kick off and everything will be great.

You have a leaving cert son? Get a degree. You have a degree? Get a job. You have a job? Get a better job. You have a house? Get a better house. Your wife just turned 40? You have to trade her in for two 20 year olds.

Seems to be constantly shifting goal posts, and you never start living. Constantly working towards this mystery day where you can eventually start living.

Lesson is guys, just live for now. You are alive. Enjoy your friends, family, and change your perspective. It's not the way the world is that determines your happiness, it's how you see it. Family is by far the most valuable asset you have.

My most valuable asset was my earning ability. Perhaps you are seeking something that is not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

A mixture of liking the mental and emotional equanimity of middle age and disliking the creeping physical and aesthetic degradation of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm 33 (i think)

My attitude to getting older?

They'll have a cure for that before It kills me

That said, in the last 4 months I sprained my ankle playing soccer and now it seems to be in a permanently new shape and my wrist still hurts from the same incident, and last night I twisted my other ankle to make a matching pair....

Come on nanobots for feck sake, what are ye waiting for

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Kalman wrote: »
    My most valuable asset was my earning ability. Perhaps you are seeking something that is not there.

Myself, I never found happiness in my earning ability, and I switched careers taking a significant enough drop in wages. I worked in law, and for example, I never ever would have wanted to become a partner. Different strokes, different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Kalman wrote: »
    It could be a melancholic condition. Depressed, perhaps.
    Midlife crisis at 28? possible.

The whole why am I getting old is something I've suffered from a little also ha (almost 30 now), I've had a few other issues myself also, and would tend to agree there probably are underlying issues of some sort causing it. In my case recently I've found mindfulness a very useful natural aid, I try to think about the here and now a lot more, rather than worry about the past and future which I've zero control of right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭obriendj

I will be 35 this year and have noticed the age process.

Can you remember when you looked back a photo of yourself and thought "i looked a state back then" well I have tipped over the edge and now think I have peaked and photos from 2-3 years ago are now better than i look now. Its probably minor things that only you would notice yourself but hair loss, a worn face etc.

I am however fitter than i have been for years. Drinking less. and exercising more.

I regret the time I wasted while i was in my twenties. If I can give any advice to younger people reading this, is to try and find something productive to do during your 20s - dont waste every sunday hungover watching TV. Still do it but do it less.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

I love life and genuinely feel like I've been given a gift, so every year I'm alive, I'm delighted.

I'm 35 and feel 35. Some people have it in their heads that having the craic and not taking life too seriously is the preserve of young people and that aging means turning into a big, hefty dry ****e but doesn't at all. I will have fun and laugh 'till the day I die.

Physically, things are starting to creak and crack more and fall apart a bit but even if I looked better naked in my early 20s and had fewer wrinkles, the way I see myself in the mirror now is very different - I have a lot more confidence body-wise now and I wouldn't swap this confidence for the body of any supermodel, to be very honest. I'm less critical of myself now generally and have definitely developed more of a "fcuk it" attitude towards myself and others and that's bloody brilliant.

I have to say that40 does scare me a wee bit when I think about it but then 35 scared me a bit in my mid-twenties - I probably never believed back then that I'd feel like I do now. It's all about perspective and attitude.

Getting very old does scare me but I'm doing my best to look after myself - I eat well and do a reasonable amount of exercise and go to the doctor when I suspect something is up. I'm back studying and I like to read, so that keeps my brain ticking over. Obviously I don't have complete control over any of these things but I'm definitely hopeful and am doing my best on that front.

I want to live well into old age and have an idea of how I'd like to be and this keeps me optimistic. I don't want to waste the precious time we have worrying about it all and hate to see others at it. You have to do your best to change your attitude to it all as you're only here for a short time and you'll see as you get older, it flies at a terrifying speed. Really make the most of it. I don't think there was a better time to be alive in Ireland/Europe, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I have to laugh at people that believe they look years younger than their age. You think young therefore you are young until you look in a mirror and reality hits you a slap :)

I have to laugh at people who can't accept that some people are blessed by genetics with more resilient skin, don't work outside, maybe aren't sun worshippers etc and thus their skin has aged slower than the average. In my case it must be an active imagination and selective hearing that has every person who finds out my age reacting with shock and to the last man/woman saying these exact words,"Jaysus, I thought you were about 26!!" I'm 41.

That said I feel an age jump coming on. Some people seem to age in fits and starts. I've a feeling it won't be long before my guessed age closes the gap with my real age for a few years but expect to be told I look 40 till I'm 55 when the next jump might hit. Certainly my old man at 67 looks early 50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

If you cant change something, change how you feel about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

52. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im 35 next birthday and dreading my impending middle age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Triceratops Ballet

I'm normally ok with my age (turning 32 this year) but I find that at this time of year with all the talk of leaving cert I tend to think back to my own LC and think how my life could have been different if I had applied myself more/ known what I wanted when I was that age.
    In reality I know that's stupid because if I were 18 again tomorrow I'd have lost all the wisdom and perspective I've gained in the intervening years. But never the less every year when the leaving cert rolls around it serves as more of a reminder, of how far behind me it all is, than my birthday does.

Timmaay wrote: »
    The whole why am I getting old is something I've suffered from a little also ha (almost 30 now), I've had a few other issues myself also, and would tend to agree there probably are underlying issues of some sort causing it. In my case recently I've found mindfulness a very useful natural aid, I try to think about the here and now a lot more, rather than worry about the past and future which I've zero control of right now.

Mindfulness as in meditation? Recently, I read that [mindfulness] is widely used.

What depresses myself most is, when the chill of winter is on the horizon and the blue warm skies of summer are gone.[most depressing
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Anytime someone asked me what age I was, I said 34.

Until my wife heard me say that and reminded me I was 33.

In your face, Father Time. I just got an extra year!

Advertisement