Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death: why is it feared?

Options
  • 21-03-2015 7:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,549 ✭✭✭✭

Some of us could drop dead tomorrow, some of us have 50 years and some of us have 100 years but my question is do you fear death?

If you do why? And hence the poll because there can only be 2 reasons.

Why do you fear your demise? 332 votes

Pain
    0% 0 votes
    Not knowing what happens after death
    24% 82 votes
    I want my 100 year cheque from the president in advance
    75% 250 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Fear of the unknown. And even atheists are secretly scared. The idea that you cease to exist is a mind bender. Its the ultimate question. I'd love to have faith but I don't. What gets my gander up is so much harm has been done in the name of religion. If it turns out to be a falsehood.......millions upon millions of people will have died for something that never existed. Thats a brain melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I fear leaving those I love to fend for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭wilddarts

I fear leaving those I love to fend for themselves

Some name... Same here tho. Its the mess you might leave behind that scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Frightens the hell out of me that you could literally drop dead at any given moment. Theres a video around of I think some indian politician and he gets a heart attack mid sentence and just collapses and dies.

A neighbour of mine at 47 was found dead sitting in front of his computer. Had a heart attack. Never saw it coming I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't fear being dead, I'll be doing the same stuff I was before I was conceived. I would have concerns about how I go though e.g. I wouldn't want drown, burn, progressive illness like MND (in fact, my issue with an illness like that would be when to actually make the trip to Switzerland?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

I'm afraid no one will clear my browsing history :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Heckler wrote: »
    And even some atheists are secretly scared.

Fixed that for ya.

I don't fear death. Not particularly looking forward to it though. I'd be more worried about how I'm going to die. Most of my family die of old age so I'm OK with that. After death there's nothing to fear. If there's an afterlife then great. If there isn't, I won't know about it so what's to fear in that ☺

As it is none of the options on the poll fit me so I didn't choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I didn't exist before I was born, and I won't after I die.

Life is a break from non existence, make the most of it, you're far longer dead than you are alive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm an atheist, no secret fear of death here, in fact right now at this age, early 40's, I have a healthy and open distaste for being dead.
    Not because of anything metaphysical or spiritual, just because I haven't finished experiencing things yet, I haven't finished living my family yet, and once I'm dead I won't be and to do those things anymore.
    Being dead means you are gone, what you have done up to that point is all that will remain, it is all that will mark me out as a good man or a bad man, a man who made a positive impact on those he knew, a man who damaged those he came in contact with or a man of no consequence whatsoever.
    Being dead means no more learning, no more getting better, wiser, kinder.
    So, with those things in mind why would I not fear death?

When I am 80 or 90 perhaps I will have a different opinion and welcome some respite from life's travails, but I may be just as reluctant to cease to be at that point too.

Your poll, therefore, is a little too proscribed, there should be more options than the one offered.
    As it is there is nothing I can select I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Like someone said fear of the unknown and for me wondering what would happen to my children, leaving them behind.

I went through a stage I couldn't sleep because I was frightened I wouldn't wake up, it wasn't a nice feeling.

Think its more anxiety for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

I stole his cloak, wand and resurrection stone. He's pissed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure we're all gonna die someday. Might as well go with it *

*except for Bruce Forsyth, he will of course live forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

No-one will remember you in a couple of hundred years no matter what legacy you leave behind and certainly not a million years so who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

It's feared for its the single one thing we all have in common on this planet we all have been waiting for it since that first breath and we all no matter how much we try to avoid or fear death it's forever right around a corner...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I'd normally be quite Epicurean in my outlook, but his views on death are not ones I share. I fear death because I quite like living at the moment, and I'd rather that not end for a while yet. I spent too long trying not to die for me to be comfortable with its approach. Mind you, if I ever get to the stage where I can't take care of myself, and I'm a burden to others, and my quality of life is terrible... then I'd like to think at that stage the state will no longer have a problem with me deciding to check out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Right now as a reasonably young pup part of the fear of death is knowing it's coming but not knowing when - will I have done all I need to do, said all I need to say etc? I think that once you know death is literally around the corner and there's no escaping it that a certain serenity sets in about the whole thing, it's coming and you can't change that. I don't care where I go (or don't go!) after, I'll be dead!

My dad died suddenly though not entirely unexpectedly last month and there was a kind of calm about him in the couple of days before, as if he was aware that 'this was it', even though we were all telling him he'd be fine and at home in no time. If you know it's imminent and there's no going back I can't see what there is to fear really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Humans are primarily designed to survive, same for most animals - its completely against our nature to give up or accept death...

I'm going out kicking and screaming, same way I came in...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm going out kicking and screaming, same way I came in...

Same here, the thought of non existence is quite a mind f*ck. I understand the need for some to believe there is something after, makes it easier to deal with While alive.

I just try not to think about it though but when I do, I don't know about you but I plan to live forever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Zippie84

I'm not sure I do fear death.

I don't like that no matter how much it might feel otherwise, my death would impact greatly on others, but don't think that means I 'fear' death.

I think deep down I have a feeling that I didn't choose to exist, and that if someone came along and offered me the chance to die now, without me having to kill myself, and ideally without it impacting too much on others, there's a strong chance I'd take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I don't fear being dead, I fear dying young and not being there for my children growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'm not afraid of dying but I am afraid of dying before I'm ready to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

'For the living know that they shall die, but the dead know nothing, they have no further reward, and even their name is forgotten' Ecclesiastes 9:5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

How appropriate this thread is for me. The past few weeks I have been having panic attacks, not being able to sleep, crying to myself and being unable to enjoy things as a result of dear of dying.

This was an issue in my younger year but has not crossed my mind for over a decade. I am constantly reminded of death everywhere, watchin tv, video games, conversations...even phrases like a god help ya or I'm dying after drinkin makes my stomach drop.

The thoughts of loved ones along with myself ceasing to exist scares the fcuk out of me. I have been contemplating rediscovering religion. I had a discussion with a Muslim taxi driver before and I admired that he was full sure that when we die we meet god. I couldn't believe his conviction. I need something in my life to assure me everything will be ok when I'm gone as I am drivin myself insane and depressed at the age of 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Ya know, the whole ceasing to exist thing or if you're religious the idea of spending eternity in some random place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

For many I don't think this question bothers them until they have a family. I have a wife and 2 kids and it absolutly wrecks my head when I think one day I'll die and I may never see them again. I try not to think about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Death : great metal Band

Feared :Great Metal band

Miss the option in the poll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I don't fear death so much, its the getting there I have fear of. I don't believe in afterlife or gods, Not saying they aint there, just don't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 patwhacker

You can believe anything you like but when it comes right down to it...... you have only one of two options in my view.

Option 1. Get on with Living.
    or
    Option 2. Get on with Dying.

Simple as...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

After years of suffering with panic attacks,I think I've reached a stage were I don't care about dying,now if I had some debilitating disease would be my fear but I'd tell them to load me up with morphine and nod off to my own personal paradise island for my last days on earth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I don't fear death. Where's my poll option?

Advertisement