Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest alternative name for U.S. citizens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Candie wrote: »
    Any other nation on earth, and the bile on this thread would be unacceptable.

Ceptin' for Ireland from Irish peoples.

♫ Hey there Candie girl flying through the sky so fancy free! ♪

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Americans are overwhelmingly, in my experience, some of the kindest and most generous people I've ever met. There are over 3 million people in the USA and only a few of them are in Westboro Baptist or whatever other justificational tool you want to use to legitimise the negativity. The rest of them are just getting along with their lives like the rest of us, being decent people.

I think your edit made things worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Americans are overwhelmingly, in my experience, some of the kindest and most generous people I've ever met. There are over 3 million people in the USA and only a few of them are in Westboro Baptist or whatever other justificational tool you want to use to legitimise the negativity. The rest of them are just getting along with their lives like the rest of us, being decent people.

3 million huh? Well you're definitely smart enough to be one. Agent provocateur I feel. Get back to your McDonald's and funding the murder of Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Yonks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Septics
    Comes from rhyming slang. "Septic Tank" = Yank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

It's the United States of America - 'american' is an accurate description based on the name of the country. The terms South/central American and Canadian are used to distinguish between people from other parts of the continent. It's worked pretty well so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    It's the United States of America - 'american' is an accurate description based on the name of the country. The terms South/central American and Canadian are used to distinguish between people from other parts of the continent. It's worked pretty well so far

America is the term for both land masses collectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

America is the term for both land masses collectively.

I would say it's more common to use the term Americas or the americas or even the american continent when referring to the landmass. If someone describes themselves as american, it is generally accepted to mean that they are from the United States of America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I would say it's more common to use the term Americas or the americas or even the american continent when referring to the landmass. If someone describes themselves as american, it is generally accepted to mean that they are from the United States of America.

Nope the whole thing is America or also the Americas referring to the new world. Can't help it if people from the states incorrectly think it only refers to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Gringo's

Spent a lot of time in Mexico years ago. It seemed to get the message across and never applied to the Canadians or anyone else.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The US is the only country in that part of the world that has the word America in it's name. Does anyone really use America to refer to the land mass in its entirety? Or do you, as most people I know, refer to North, Central and South America?

American is fair, it's the only country with the word in their name.

Anytime I've heard people bring up this argument, it is always someone with a massive French frie on their shoulder about the States. Get over yourself, FFS.

Mexico is part of North America. Not many people know that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

USuls - as in "tell me of your home world, USul."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

There are over 3 million people in the USA

Eh... Yes, that's technically correct, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

World Police

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

There's America and there's South America. Over and out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

Dumbasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Some Chinese (great bunch of lads) used to refer to them as Imperialist running dogs. They take their slagging seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Capitaliststooges

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

circadian wrote: »
    I don't see the issue as people from other nations in the Americas were more creative/respectful to the indigenous names in their naming of nations.

Yeah, especially Colombia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

And the actions of successive war mongering & hypocritical White House regimes, probably doesn't help matters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

And the actions of successive war mongering & hypocritical White House regimes, probably doesn't help matters.

Not the only country in the world guilty of that but it is the country people here are obsessed with

Former colonial subjects! :pac:
    But it'll soon be North Mexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Not the only country in the world guilty of that but it is the country people here are obsessed with

There really is no comparison to the moral hypocrisy regularly demonstrated by the United States. Then again, most countries don't have tendencies towards global domination & meddling. When the biggest bully in the schoolyard throws it weight around all too often, people will react accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah, especially Colombia.

I didn't say all of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

NorthMexicans !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

If you called a Canadian an American you'd find yourself in a spot of bother tbh.

They're all from the continent of North America (Canada, United States and Mexico), but only people from the U.S. are termed American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Freedom-ites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Americ*nts

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

There really is no comparison to the moral hypocrisy regularly demonstrated by the United States. Then again, most countries don't have tendencies towards global domination & meddling. When the biggest bully in the schoolyard throws it weight around all too often, people will react accordingly.

There's hypocrisy everywhere. Also, Russia are bullies. China are bullies. They just don't get the same kind of viscera on here.

Plenty of countries have had tendencies towards global domination and meddling....pick up a History book or look at global Geography. You'll see colonies and former colonies all over the map. Fallen Empires all over the map.

Also don't forget all of the allies. Canada has been involved in almost every conflict that the US has. Ditto Australia.

• Advertisement

Sorry this has nothing at all to do with the thread, but the Canadian $1 is called "the Loonie".

I enjoy this fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement