Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggest alternative name for U.S. citizens

Options
  • 03-06-2015 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

I feel referring to U.S. citizens as Americans is disrespectful of other Americans, as in Canadians, and all the people of Latin America.

Yanks ( or Yankers ) is an obvious one, but maybe a new term, that has to easily understood by most of the rest of the world.

Should be one word

So far I've only come up with - iBurgers (burger is German for citizen, or just iPhone and McDonalds run together )

If it has slightly ironic tones all the better (Yanks don't get irony! ), but humorous as well so that I don't get punched when I use in the company of U.S. citizens.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

United Statians

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

OverWeights... United States.
    That's terrible but seems half decent after iBurgers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Muricans

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭circadian

I don't see the issue as people from other nations in the Americas were more creative/respectful to the indigenous names in their naming of nations.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Staters ! Your welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

USers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Straffan

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Peacekeepers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Freedom Fighters

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sugardroids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

German speakers usually say US-Americans, I prefer yankee devil

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Exbrits

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

dohouch wrote: »
    If it has slightly ironic tones all the better (Yanks don't get irony! ), .

Yank is a term applied to the people from the northern part of the USA only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

irishgeo wrote: »
    Exbrits

Indeed,although this particular Cailín déas appears to prefer Wimp as a descriptor....Interesting line of reasoning though.....

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/us-overreacted-after-911-says-irish-academic-31274585.html
    The Tramore woman, who is a terrorism studies expert, claims Brits are more resilient than their American cousins because they are used to terrorist attacks during the times of The Troubles.

Prof. Richardson appears to be omitting the various major wars over the centuries which impacted upon the British populace....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

my first nation friend calls them Squatters....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Cuntius Ignoramus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Septics

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

UShítz

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Invaders.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

By the way they go on... Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sky King wrote: »
    Yank is a term applied to the people from the northern part of the USA only.
    not in Ireland it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

stoneill wrote: »
    United Statians

That won't work, what about the United States of Mexico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Meretricious

Any other nation on earth, and the bile on this thread would be unacceptable.

Americans are overwhelmingly, in my experience, some of the kindest and most generous people I've ever met. There are over 3 million people in the USA and only a few of them are in Westboro Baptist or whatever other justificational tool you want to use to legitimise the negativity. The rest of them are just getting along with their lives like the rest of us, being decent people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

burgerclaps

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Friends of those that can not grow potatoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Gobshítes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Candie wrote: »
    Any other nation on earth, and the bile on this thread would be unacceptable.

Americans are overwhelmingly, in my experience, some of the kindest and most generous people I've ever met. There are 200 million people in the USA and only a few of them are in Westboro Baptist or whatever other justificational tool you want to use to legitimise the negativity. The rest of them are just getting along with their lives like the rest of us, being decent people.

See, you've only met those 200 million. there's another 118 million of them and they're absolute bastards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

The US is the only country in that part of the world that has the word America in it's name. Does anyone really use America to refer to the land mass in its entirety? Or do you, as most people I know, refer to North, Central and South America?

American is fair, it's the only country with the word in their name.

Anytime I've heard people bring up this argument, it is always someone with a massive French frie on their shoulder about the States. Get over yourself, FFS.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement