Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Swan's Ballet of Blood(Lair)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Joya wrote: »
    unfortunately there is only one single line that goes to my place so i will be on their mercy..
    buses ShOULD go every 7 mins but so many times they are 20 mins in between and then go one after another, and if you miss those 2 just in front of your nose well, that's frustrating :D
    That does sound frustrating. I hate getting the bus, never on time, uncomfortable etc. At least you won't have to worry about parking.
    Shiminay wrote: »
    No one's taking any offence, I'm just constantly baffled by the critical acclaim Halo gets for its story. Sure, they've fleshed out the expanded universe as any good multi-million selling franchise should, but I guess I'm more disappointed that this is what passes for good writing in an art form that desperately needs quality to legitimise itself. When the story in a game is up for a Hugo, then you'll know you've got good writing.

All that said, Halo is one of the most fun shooters I've ever played. Local LAN play with 4 or 5 XBoxes and shared screens meant we had more than 20 in a game once in a friend's house and it was as much fun as any Quake LAN I was ever at, so in that regards, it trounces anything I've ever played on a PlayStation anything.
    It's a form of entertainment plenty of people like, doesn't need to be Shakespeare. Fast And The Furious series gets awards too, that must drive you nuts. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Omg not long left now D:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Yes you are, of course you are. Now lets just sit you down, here is a magazine about the outrageous price of tea these days, there you go. Shhhhhhh.

you're not the boss of me!!

*makes a break for it*

giphy.gif

:P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's a form of entertainment plenty of people like, doesn't need to be Shakespeare. Fast And The Furious series gets awards too, that must drive you nuts. :pac:

F&F doesn't get awards for its writing though. There's either good writing or there isn't. "It's good for a game" is only a cop out and an acknowledgement that this is a lesser form of art and therefore is not worthy of real attention and I fundamentally disagree with that - computer games are the new orchestral arrangements and symphonies of our time. Dozens of teams of dozens of people all working in harmony to create a masterful piece of art - is there no greater expression of what humanity can accomplish in the name of entertainment? Is it wrong to want more from that beyond "generic action sci-fi plot #14?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭heyday30

Anyone wanna clean my gaff for me. ?
    Or give me devine inspiration to do it myself ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

heyday30 wrote: »
    Anyone wanna clean my gaff for me. ?
    Or give me devine inspiration to do it myself ? :)

I will so............what are you paying?

SW wrote: »
    you're not the boss of me!!

*makes a break for it*
    :P
    I hope Bowser has better luck than I did. :eek:
    F&F doesn't get awards for its writing though. There's either good writing or there isn't. "It's good for a game" is only a cop out and an acknowledgement that this is a lesser form of art and therefore is not worthy of real attention and I fundamentally disagree with that - computer games are the new orchestral arrangements and symphonies of our time. Dozens of teams of dozens of people all working in harmony to create a masterful piece of art - is there no greater expression of what humanity can accomplish in the name of entertainment? Is it wrong to want more from that beyond "generic action sci-fi plot #14?"
    Very true games can be that. Sometimes you're not looking to delve the depths of what is a good plot though, to make art. Sometimes you just want to be entertained. If it keeps me from switching it off or walking out then it's done it's job. I'm not saying "Ah sure let it away, it's only a game" I'm saying that is not what it's trying to do. The new orchestral symphonies of our time? Lets not forget the generic pop and other music that people like for different reasons. Some like sad songs, some like angry songs, some want something they can party to. Not everything has to be an emotional soul enriching experience. Sometimes we just get bored and want to have fun.

I will so............what are you paying?

Coffee, chocolate biscuit cake and the pleasure of my company ;)

Coffee, chocolate biscuit cake and the pleasure of my company ;)

I will so

*takes out broom and starts sweeping*

I hope Bowser has better luck than I did. :eek:

Very true games can be that. Sometimes you're not looking to delve the depths of what is a good plot though, to make art. Sometimes you just want to be entertained. If it keeps me from switching it off or walking out then it's done it's job. I'm not saying "Ah sure let it away, it's only a game" I'm saying that is not what it's trying to do. The new orchestral symphonies of our time? Lets not forget the generic pop and other music that people like for different reasons. Some like sad songs, some like angry songs, some want something they can party to. Not everything has to be an emotional soul enriching experience. Sometimes we just get bored and want to have fun.
    I agree with everything you have said, but you still haven't addressed my main argument which is Halo has a terrible story and yet people keep harping on about what an incredible story it has and it is only that which I object to because it is farcical to call it that. I would argue that the story is in fact the weakest part of the game as a whole (because it is a magnificent game in almost every other area - it looks good, plays exceptionally well, has great multi-player, has great sound etc, etc). All of those things are award worthy (and they have won awards) and as a sum of all it's parts, once again, Halo unquestionably deserves the awards it's won, but its story is not good and I really wish people would stop trying to sell the lie that it is.

• Advertisement

I will so

*takes out broom and starts sweeping*

You have him well trained heyday, wrapped around your finger he is! :p

Too kind seph. Make sure you get into the corners there :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

Hmmm fine so :pac:

ha, quitter i knew it! :P
    btw haven't you heard what kurt cobain said, better to burn out than fade away :eek:

:p

I agree with everything you have said, but you still haven't addressed my main argument which is Halo has a terrible story and yet people keep harping on about what an incredible story it has and it is only that which I object to because it is farcical to call it that. I would argue that the story is in fact the weakest part of the game as a whole (because it is a magnificent game in almost every other area - it looks good, plays exceptionally well, has great multi-player, has great sound etc, etc). All of those things are award worthy (and they have won awards) and as a sum of all it's parts, once again, Halo unquestionably deserves the awards it's won, but its story is not good and I really wish people would stop trying to sell the lie that it is.
    I didn't think I had to dispute that point. I disagree with you in that it's a terrible story. For it to be doing so well, plenty of others must feel the same way. Your opinion is just that. An opinion. You can object, you can even object strongly but it's not going to change anything.

You said you're baffled by the critical acclaim it gets. It gets that by having a huge following of people that do not feel the way you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭butterbun

What happened there were so many posts I can't keep up with such madness. Also Fallout 4 ooh baby!

Joya wrote: »
    ha, quitter i knew it! :P

:p

I'm no quitter, that was just a ruse for you too tell me :pac:

You have him well trained heyday, wrapped around your finger he is! :p

*hands shim a broom*

You can help as well :p
    Too kind seph. Make sure you get into the corners there :P

What have I gotten myself into :-|?

Ya slave driver ya :pac:

Howdy butterbun. Ahh, Swan and I battled it out to see who would get the new lair. Then everyone came to see the new lair. How are you?

butterbun wrote: »
    Also Fallout 4 ooh baby!

*High fives*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭Joya

I'm no quitter, that was just a ruse for you too tell me :pac:
    aw i see, me apologies sleep.gif

Right red hot chilli peppers blaring. no more procrastinating. ....

Talk to yous later :)

• Advertisement

Have a nice day heyday.

You said you're baffled by the critical acclaim it gets. It gets that by having a huge following of people that do not feel the way you do.

So by that logic, 50 Shades of Grey should win a Nobel Prize in literature because it's got a huge following of people who think it's great - despite the fact that it has about as much to do with the realities of a BDSM lifestyle as Halo does and has all the literary quality of a Mary Sue Tumblr Fan Fic writer (which is of course who and what E.L. James is) :)

There'll always be a need and want for the "blockbuster film" or the "boyband number 1" or the "fast paced pewpewpew" game - I never, ever, EVER want to see them go away (cause I love them!). I just want people to stop trying to make them out to be something they're not. More importantly, I want people who think this is good storytelling to experience genuine good storytelling because it's glorious, absolutely glorious.

So Aaron, my apologies if I offended, I promise you that wasn't the intent. This is a drum I've been banging for years. Sci-fi in particular has not only the ability but the responsibility to inspire us and give us either a glimpse of what might be when we work towards something or, as is usually the case with Dystopian sci-fi, what might be when we don't!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I never got the big deal about Halo. Thought the games were a bit meh tbh, they just never hooked me.

I really liked ODST. Great atmosphere and that film noir detective vibe oh my.

So by that logic, 50 Shades of Grey should win a Nobel Prize in literature because it's got a huge following of people who think it's great - despite the fact that it has about as much to do with the realities of a BDSM lifestyle as Halo does and has all the literary quality of a Mary Sue Tumblr Fan Fic writer (which is of course who and what E.L. James is) :)

There'll always be a need and want for the "blockbuster film" or the "boyband number 1" or the "fast paced pewpewpew" game - I never, ever, EVER want to see them go away (cause I love them!). I just want people to stop trying to make them out to be something they're not. More importantly, I want people who think this is good storytelling to experience genuine good storytelling because it's glorious, absolutely glorious.

So Aaron, my apologies if I offended, I promise you that wasn't the intent. This is a drum I've been banging for years. Sci-fi in particular has not only the ability but the responsibility to inspire us and give us either a glimpse of what might be when we work towards something or, as is usually the case with Dystopian sci-fi, what might be when we don't!
    No I don't think 50 shades should win any awards. It's just flat statements like "It's crap" don't hold any water when talking about things consumed by thousands or millions of people. When someone asks me what I think of Twilight, X-Factor or Jersey Shore I say "I think they're crap." Saying something does not make it so. I don't like those things, a lot of people do.

That's neither here nor there though from the original statement though. You asked "why it's critically acclaimed". I answered because a lot of people enjoyed it. You said "why do they enjoy it it's terrible." I answered with because it's entertaining. You went on about how it's art and should be held to a higher standard. I disagreed and said it was made for fun. You said "You can't dismiss it because it's a game". I said I wasn't, rather that it wasn't made to be a deep experience but a fun one, ripping things from pop culture like the Aliens and Predator references. The reason it's popular is because a lot of people feel the same about it. That's what popularity is.

Do you hold all games to the same reach for the stars mentality? Or do you see it as some people decided to tell a story and make a fun game.

You say it has a terrible story but stories, like jokes, are subjective. You might like something for a certain reason, that same reason might be why others don't like it. You're trying to put your opinion forth as fact. "I believe this and so it is true."

As for having a responsibility to inspire us? People were pretty good at becoming inspired before games and movies and will continue to be inspired with or without them. Rather than expecting them to have this lofty purpose maybe just be happy they inspired someone rather than expecting it.

No worries, just a difference of opinion is all. Playstation is knocking it out of the park though. :D

Angron wrote: »
    I never got the big deal about Halo. Thought the games were a bit meh tbh, they just never hooked me.
    Yeah Halo 4 was like that for me.
    I really liked ODST. Great atmosphere and that film noir detective vibe oh my.
    Only problem here was I kept forgetting I wasn't a Spartan. "I'll just hop over this balcony." Quickly followed by the sounds of knees popping and a big loss to health. Oh right I'm a normal un-augmented human in this one.

Only problem here was I kept forgetting I wasn't a Spartan. "I'll just hop over this balcony." Quickly followed by the sounds of knees popping and a big loss to health. Oh right I'm a normal un-augmented human in this one.

That made me enjoy it more. It can't relate to an enhanced god-man who is essentially Space Jesus.

What are ye all at for the day?
    That made me enjoy it more. It can't relate to an enhanced god-man who is essentially Space Jesus.
    Now that is a great way of saying it. :pac:

I liked it too, just took a a dozen or so deaths and mistakes to help me remember.

LOL, yes! I didn't have my own copy, but did get to play it for an afternoon and that exact thing happened to me all the fricking time!

• Advertisement

LOL, yes! I didn't have my own copy, but did get to play it for an afternoon and that exact thing happened to me all the fricking time!
    Yeah, it's hard habit to shake. Looks like Halo, feels like Halo, must be Halo.

How are things in your part of the world Shim any craic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement