Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Zero-Cool wrote: »

I wonder if Demons's's Souls will get a remaster, it completely kicked my ass and I wouldn't mind giving it another go all this time.

Try it again. I started it last month and finished it in 4 days.
    It kicked my ass so much when I first tried it!
    I'm now really close to the platinum but the character tendency is wrecking my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Níl on the ps3 front I'm afraid. Watching ENB DS1 playtgrough on my ps4 will just have to do.

Ugh I'm on the fence about this one. They are great games on one hand. I love they don't hold your hand whatsoever. I love the metroidvania format. But god dammit are these the most frustrating games in existence. I never finished either of DS1/2. I was getting excited about it until I saw the gameplay clip and now I'm thinking its just gonna be more sadism and clunky controls. It's addicting gameplay, yet I'm not sure I am truly enjoying it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,150 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Will never agree that the controls in these games are clunky. They're just so utterly precise and considered. The sense of weight and physicality is essential to the feel and flow of the games. If there's ever a bit in a Souls game that requires extra precision - a jump, for example - it's been carefully designed to be a challenge.

I fully understand how people can't warm to the games themselves (although I'd never call them sadistic, beyond maybe some of the crueller DLC bosses) but even trying to look at the controls from a more objective angle (which is admittedly tricky given the dozens of hours I've poured into all the games), I can't really see how I could describe them as clunky. They're anything but IMO.

I think I will get this actually. I forgot how much I enjoyed DS2 at first. My experience with DS1 was diabolical compared to DS2 which I spent a few days straight playing (studying for exams lol). If you don't know how to play these games, they are very very hard. I recall wearing the "best" armour at all times in DS1. This meant that my character could barely roll. I thought the game was such bs. Getting one-shotted by the second boss over and over. Wow cool game guys /s. The feeling of discovery is fantastic though.

You need to study online before really understanding this game. I always found the stats screen to be ugly as hell so avoided it :D Definitely my own dumb fault

I wish the multiplayer aspect of the game could be separated. I never thought I would say that as I'm a massive fan of online gaming. I feel like I'm cheating any time I summon someone to beat a boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Will never agree that the controls in these games are clunky. They're just so utterly precise and considered. The sense of weight and physicality is essential to the feel and flow of the games. If there's ever a bit in a Souls game that requires extra precision - a jump, for example - it's been carefully designed to be a challenge.

I fully understand how people can't warm to the games themselves (although I'd never call them sadistic, beyond maybe some of the crueller DLC bosses) but even trying to look at the controls from a more objective angle (which is admittedly tricky given the dozens of hours I've poured into all the games), I can't really see how I could describe them as clunky. They're anything but IMO.

I have some sympathy when it comes to platforming and hit boxes to name a few tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ugh I'm on the fence about this one.
    I think I will get this actually.

The ultimate salesman! :pac:

There are hundreds of games that I have more a mastery of control over than Dark Souls. I'd have to play the game again but in my mind its as if you press a button and the action happens soon after. You run as if you are wading through some invisible sludge. I turn, my character turns half a second later. My character is slowly recovering from whatever action, meanwhile I get blasted off into a canyon by an enemy. This is the feeling I get from the game. I can understand how it could be considered "so utterly precise and considered" by design. I find it slow and clunky in comparison to other games. I think I have PTSD from when I first played DS1 :pac:

I've argued this to death over the years. I doubt I'm going to win this argument now, especially in a Dark Soul 3 thread.

tok9 wrote: »
    The ultimate salesman! :pac:

Lol I know. Ridiculous turn around. A penny dropped in my head. I forgot about how hooked I was at the release of DS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

There are hundreds of games that I have more a mastery of control over than Dark Souls. I'd have to play the game again but in my mind its as if you press a button and the action happens soon after. You run as if you are wading through some invisible sludge. I turn, my character turns half a second later. My character is slowly recovering from whatever action, meanwhile I get blasted off into a canyon by an enemy. This is the feeling I get from the game. I can understand how it could be considered "so utterly precise and considered" by design. I find it slow and clunky in comparison to other games. I think I have PTSD from when I first played DS1 :pac:

I've argued this to death over the years. I doubt I'm going to win this argument now, especially in a Dark Soul 3 thread.

I know what you mean, you're comparing it to something like devil may cry, bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden?

at the outset, I coudn't get a handle on the game at all, but sticking with it made me appreciate it for its depth, the battles are as much about skill and planning as they are about reflexes.

• Advertisement

Ah I can see where you are coming from. I would not agree with saying they are clunky or JohnnyUltimate about the controls being utterly precise there is a lot of room for improvement but he's not far off imo. The thing that catches a lot of people with this vs other similar games is stamina and weight of gear coupled with how timing and move sets change weapon to weapon , whether or not you are using 2 hands or 1 and a shield etc. and even those change over the course of the game as you build your character etc. It does take some getting used to and many deaths , many many deaths :o

From the Playstation Bargains thread

Ps4 version
    jamescd wrote: »
    Dark Souls III Preorder - £32.35 (using code DEADCOOL at checkout)

Code is only valid til Monday. Delivery to Ireland is £2 so in total it comes to £34.35 or just under €45 delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

looking at my twitter it seems that many of the people that stream dark souls on twitch are be flown to San Francisco to play dark souls 3, and have permission to show the footage afterwards. so should be getting a good look at it soon enough !! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i will not look, i will not look, i will not look, i will not look

I will, obviously

but i will not look, i will not look, i will not look

New trailer. Looks so good. Crazy remix of that song as well.

New trailer. Looks so good. Crazy remix of that song as well.

Was coming to post too, really nice trailer. Been trying to limit my exposure to the game so there were a few new things for me in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

That trailer has me amped! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

what a sweet trailer! love the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Took the plunge and ordered the collectors edition off amazon today, fook eh, i gerra savo statue fer me man lair! :cool:

The prestige edition looked great, sold out fast though i read, was it really $800ish?

Anyway, ill prob end up putting the statue through me telly knowing these games, i hope the game adapts atleast some of the engaging combat of bloodborne and not so much of the poke and roll of DS2 :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

• Advertisement

This is out tomorrow i think on ios and droid

Eeeeeeewwwwww Gamestop

Anyone gonna get it? Makes me want to play Ghosts & Goblins again.

Eeeeeeewwwwww Gamestop

Anyone gonna get it? Makes me want to play Ghosts & Goblins again.

If it's free I will :D

Went into my head straight away as a free title. Would be very surprised if it was completely free of gamestop had anything to do with it.

I see people in twitter talking about playing it but i haven't see any signs of it yet on google play.

Well it's on Google Store now and it's free but it says my phone isn't compatible. I have an S4, Android 5.0.1 but it says the app only needs 2.2 and up. It's getting crap reviews but I'd still like to try. Anyone else have problems downloading it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.android.slashysouls

Well it's on Google Store now and it's free but it says my phone isn't compatible. I have an S4, Android 5.0.1 but it says the app only needs 2.2 and up. It's getting crap reviews but I'd still like to try. Anyone else have problems downloading it?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.android.slashysouls

I get a "this app is incompatible with all of your devices" message too

Once I read in the reviews "If this game would of been a normal sidescroller it would of been great. But thats not the case the game screen moves your character automatically at an extremely fast pace" I was glad I wasn't able to install it :D

Thanks for the warning, I can wait at this stage to see anymore than I already have.

Yeah I stopped reading, they start describing the first location, boss, items you find, dialogue, characters. Even have a video showing the main hub of the games. All these things should be witnessed first hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Yeah I stopped reading, they start describing the first location, boss, items you find, dialogue, characters. Even have a video showing the main hub of the games. All these things should be witnessed first hand.

That's what you get for reading Polygon! :pac:

Advertisement