Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

They're still binding stuff to the FPS with this, aren't they? Hence 30fps cap. I honestly have no intention of buying more souls games. DeS and DaS1 were the only ones I cared about.

PS4 and XBox will be 30 FPS (as it's the same engine as Bloodborne).
    The FPS durabilty glitch was fixed in Scholar of the First Sin so you'd expect 60 FPS for the PC version.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I honestly have no intention of buying more souls games. DeS and DaS1 were the only ones I cared about.

So two out of three games, the third being the one that was made largely independently of the series' main creative? Surely that would be a good reason to look forward to this one then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

SotFS was one of the biggest rip offs I've seen in modern gaming so that's not comforting to know patches now rely on re-buying the game. Also the first instance of paying for a direct X update as far as I can tell.

Whether they tie durability or something else the fact is that they're binding stuff to the FPS which is just pathetic in 2015. Even if they bind stuff to 60fps that's just not acceptable outside of fighting games. The console versions should be 60fps, too. Bloodborne's cap and performance drops were face-palm worthy for a console-exclusive game. The idea is that they're working with one set of hardware so it should look and perform better than if it was multiplatform.

Why they're doing this... if it's because they're japanese or because they don't care either way they've lost my confidence in their ability to make a good souls game.
    So two out of three games, the third being the one that was made largely independently of the series' main creative? Surely that would be a good reason to look forward to this one then :pac:

2/4. I consider Bloodborne a part of the souls series. And not really a good reason since I've seen time and time again good games turn to **** after getting more attention. They basically have a lot of work ahead of them to prove that they're in any way the same entity they once were especially when they're being overshadowed by so many other games that are catching my interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

I why they're doing this... if it's because they're japanese or because they don't care either way they've lost my confidence in their ability to make a good souls game.

feeble cursed one...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The 30 fps lock on Bloodborne was a shame. Luckily in pretty much every other respect it was a goddamn masterpiece.

• Advertisement

They're the ones who've gone hollow :pac:

But they might have a Stone of Ephemeral Eyes up their sleeve.

No chance they'd be able to get 60FPS without seriously hampering the resolution or detail with the current gen of consoles.
    30FPS didnt bother me for Bloodborne. It was the odd missed frames that annoyed me more.

^ Then that's their own failings because we know that current gen consoles are more than capable of rendering 1080p 60fps. They're choosing to favour graphics over performance and gameplay.

It's more an issue of them not bothering to make it run well which will affect all platforms and worse if they cap it and bind things to that cap because of one platform or one issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

^ Then that's their own failings because we know that current gen consoles are more than capable of rendering 1080p 60fps. They're choosing to favour graphics over performance and gameplay.

It's more an issue of them not bothering to make it run well which will affect all platforms and worse if they cap it and bind things to that cap because of one platform or one issue.

Look at most game reviews for console games, all will have graphics noted, but very few the FPS. For most people, a pretty game will mean more than a high FPS.

Most PS4 games run 1080p30 or 900p60 afaik? XOne can't even manage that in a lot of cases, I don't think this can be pinned on From.

I think it can be pinned on them because it's ultimately up to them in what ways they make it run well. They can reduce the graphics in many ways, one being resolution. In my opinion resolution makes a much bigger difference in the long run than a few filters so that's the last thing they should scale down within reason to get it to run like a modern game.

Take TW3 on XBO. It was was 1600x900 resolution but ran better than the PS4. PS4 users boasted 1080p but it runs like garbage. Unforunately the XBO version runs bad too now thanks to an update as does the PC version.

And yes reviews often talk about graphics but do players? If I had a penny everytime I heard actual gamers say that graphics don't matter gameplay is everything. Reviews are as disconnected as Fromsoft about what players value. And since performance directly impacts gameplay... I think we know what the players really value whether they recognise it or not. Besides graphic design is usually more noticed than graphic fidelity. Bloodborne's design is great but its technical graphics was bad... bad enough for me to actually say it's an issue. That area with the snow was ugh. And I know framerate is about gameplay but it was low enough to get that blurry effect and it ruined the look of the game when anything was in motion and also made me sick.

MGSV is a game with pretty normal graphics however there's no places that look really bad in comparison to everywhere else. There's no super low textures or bad wrapping. Everything is standard but it's done properly with good design and runs well. That's the most important thing.

So in the end DaS3 could run at 60fps on all platforms if they wanted it to. But they don't as far as I've read. So that's a disconnnect between them and me as a player. But hey I'm just one person so what do they care right? Maybe there'll be a Dark Souls 3: HD addition that's DX12/Vulkan and unlocks the framerate by the end of 2016 with more DLC to divide the playerbase.

• Advertisement

Application for the network stress test starts tomorrow:

http://cbt.darksouls3.com/

EDIT:

PS4 only.

Network Stress Test sessions
    Test #1
    Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
    Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. GMT

Test #2
    Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
    Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. GMT

Test #3
    Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
    Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. GMT

Application for the network stress test starts tomorrow:

http://cbt.darksouls3.com/

Should mention it's PS4 only so as to save some of us the wasted clicks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

Should mention it's PS4 only so as to save some of us the wasted clicks :(
    It also says you need an American or Asian PS+ account so that rules out a lot of the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Look at most game reviews for console games, all will have graphics noted, but very few the FPS. For most people, a pretty game will mean more than a high FPS.

Most PS4 games run 1080p30 or 900p60 afaik? XOne can't even manage that in a lot of cases, I don't think this can be pinned on From.

Many developers struggle to achieve the 1080/60 target. The hardware isnt as strong as it could be. The fps struggle is real. There are trade offs to be made between fps and graphical fidelity for sure.

But you cant use that as a litmus test for From's talent in dealing with limited hardware. How Dark souls ever got the go ahead with Blighttown being as bad as it was is ridiculous. That was exceedingly poor game programming. Single digit fps....It's like they didnt play their own game! :p Lets not forget the Blighttown fps issue was fixed on PC in an hour by a fan......as was the durability problem in DS2.

Let that sink in. It's pretty damning to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I got a Beta code for this , applied before I saw you needed an American/Asian PS+ account. Tried to use it on my euro account and worked fine and I can download the beta.

I see they have 3 testing groups, America, Asia and Euro (EMEA) and I'm hoping that you the T&C's actually mean you only need PS+ if you have America/Asia account but Euro accounts still work, just PS+ not needed.

Guess, I'll find out this weekend!

* You do need to be a PlayStation®Plus member. (Only Americas and Asia)

Americas/Asia: Yes, you do need to join PlayStation®Plus to play the Network Stress Test.
    EMEA/Oceania: No, you do not need to join PlayStation®Plus to play the Network Stress Test.
    EMEA/Oceania

Test #1

Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
    Friday, October 16th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. GMT
    Test #2

Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
    Saturday, October 17th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. GMT
    Test #3

Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. CEST
    Sunday, October 18th, 2015 at 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. GMT

Lucky b**sard :o
    Looks like I'm not the chosen undead.

You should still check the website as they said emails might go missing

https://cbt.darksouls3.com/pc/networktest/Confirmation/?form_lang=eng

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

some streaming on twitch at the moment, just had a quick look, might see later after work if i will have a proper look.

user cshk123 is streaming asian version for example on twitch

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is this out pretty soon what with the stress testing and that?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is this out pretty soon what with the stress testing and that?

March or April

• Advertisement

My God this is class! Got my ass kicked miles from a bonfire so invaded some poor shmuck and back stabbed while he was taking on a load of demons. I had died in the same place so i knew he was miles from a checkpoint too. Made it all the more delicious!

It's dark souls through and through, just a bit quicker movement wise but not as fast as bloodborne. Double shmitar's are awesome!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    My God this is class! Got my ass kicked miles from a bonfire so invaded some poor shmuck and back stabbed while he was taking on a load of demons. I had died in the same place so i knew he was miles from a checkpoint too. Made it all the more delicious!

It's dark souls through and through, just a bit quicker movement wise but not as fast as bloodborne. Double shmitar's are awesome!

i've watched about 30 seconds of so many videos, i want to go in as blind as possible but the temptation is just too much

april like, jesus. it's months away

Had a great laugh last night, summoned some fella, kicked some ass, got invaded and we both ganked him. Got to an area I hadn't been before and got murdered.

I had tried the Academy Assassin (spear and magic staff thing) Soul arrow is so overpowered (like previous games), I was waltzing around killing fellas at will and felt very disconnected from the game. Much much preferred the knight sword and shield, harder but made the game way more tense. OH even noticed I was sitting differently between the 2 builds. I was hanging off the couch for the knight build, edge of the seat in effect.

I couldn't use inventory but you could cycle through items you picked up so was testing things out. Used an ember that seemed like my character went on fire underneath the armour, was a cool effect but saw it allowed me to summon people so it's like the Humanity thing but I could only use 1 at a time so it doesn't build on levels. You lose it when you die.

April is such a long time away....

366030.PNG

Does is feel like a Dark Souls game of has it the lightness of Bloodborne?
    Really looking forward to playing this in April.

I'm currently doing a Dark Souls playthrough (following Epic Name Bro's current From the Dark run) and will try and complete a Demon's Souls run hopefully before April.

Definitely has the Dark Souls feel. I kept trying to dash to the left or right in Bloodborne but get instantly reminded about the weight in play. The rolls are slightly quicker but definitely slower/heavier than Bloodborne. The enemies have very effective combo's this year as well and I wasn't able to just hold my shield up, wait and then attack. Some guys were breaking my shield (staggering me) with just 2 hits so you have to think more about what you're going to block and what you're going to dodge. That plus the extra combat moves you have really elevates the fighting imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Release Date Confirmed as April 12th

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Collectors Edition :

dark_souls_3_collectors_edition-600x337.jpg

Prestige Edition :

dark_souls_3_prestige_edition_leak-600x337.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

use code GRATEFUL10 on the game collection to get this on PS4/XB1 for £35 delivered to parcel forwarders inc.

Xenji wrote: »
    Collectors Edition :

The 1980's called and they want their iron on patches back :P

• Advertisement

Not sure how spoiled I want to be about this game. I think either way I'll enjoy it.
    New shots have been posed on NeoGaf. Will just link to the thread rather than re-post the images here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1176527

The 4th image looks like
    Firelink Shrine

Advertisement