Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls 3

Options

Comments

Watched the first 15 minutes of this....

Hate to say it looks like Bloodbourne DLC

And I love Bloodbourne but I'm a bit burnt out from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It looks stunning and a huge step up from Dark Souls 2.
    It apes Bloodborne a lot but that's down to the engine more than anything. The new firelink shrine looks so similar to Oedon Chapel because of the candles.

I'm also getting a Demons Souls vibe with the 5 chairs in similar position to the archstones in the Nexus.

Just gotta stop watching these videos now. Still so long until release date :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I really hope it's an improvement over Dark Souls 2, as i really just didn't enjoy that as much as the first game. Not sure what it is, it just doesn't click with me like i'd hoped it would.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Vaati already has a Let's Play vid up for this. Bastard!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Vaati already has a Let's Play vid up for this. Bastard!

watched 30 seconds of it

already know too much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Evade

It's going to be a long six weeks resisting the urge to look at let's plays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

“Dark Souls 2 was of course built and supervised by other people at From Software, and so it matched their preference,” he explains. “So, in terms of the world design, and other elements, my preference is to return to something structurally a little more like the first game, and Bloodborne, with the world a little more connected.”

That's all I needed to hear. This is going to be special.

I haven't read the article so read at your own risk.

Miyazaki interview - vg247

I haven't been this excited for something since the last time I was this excited for something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'm not going to buy this at launch as I've too much of a backlog already, but I think this'll be my game for deep diving into over the winter. I'm avoiding coverage as much as possible, but the bits I've been exposed to,have basically confirmed my hopes that its more directly comparable to DS1. Love DS1, but cant get into 2 at all.

I'm not going to buy this at launch as I've too much of a backlog already, but I think this'll be my game for deep diving into over the winter. I'm avoiding coverage as much as possible, but the bits I've been exposed to,have basically confirmed my hopes that its more directly comparable to DS1. Love DS1, but cant get into 2 at all.

What are the big differences between 1 and 2?

• Advertisement

What are the big differences between 1 and 2?

I dont know how to put it into works exactly, theres just something about 2 that didnt click with me, I don't know if it was the jump to a higher resolution (I played DS1 on x360, DS2 on XB1) or the higher frame rate, but i never felt that urge to play more, to explore or anything, for want of a better description it just feels 'off'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I dont know how to put it into works exactly, theres just something about 2 that didnt click with me, I don't know if it was the jump to a higher resolution (I played DS1 on x360, DS2 on XB1) or the higher frame rate, but i never felt that urge to play more, to explore or anything, for want of a better description it just feels 'off'

It was a bit too bloated but I still enjoyed the heck out of it. The dlc was fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The world and characters just weren't as interesting. DSI had great locations and interesting little character stories like Solaire, Artorias and Sif, Siegmeyer, Lautrec and Rhea. Gameplay wise, it was excellent though.

DSII's environments just weren't as memorable and the only character I found to be DSI's level was Lucatiel of Mirrah.

Still a good game but not as brilliant as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,997 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

DS1 level design was seamless , once you figured it out. DS2 seemed more disjointed

2smiggy wrote: »
    DS1 level design was seamless , once you figured it out. DS2 seemed more disjointed

For me it was the feeling of awe when you kicked down a ladder or opened a door and all of a sudden you had a completly logical shortcut, it was a great feeling to realise that you'd fought so hard to make your way through a difficult section, and now you could bypass it if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭thegame983

The main problem with DS2 is that DS1 is one of the greatest games ever made.

It was nearly impossible to follow that up. On top of that they changed the way the world was built (which for a lot of people was the best aspect of DS1)

Realistically DS3 will suffer the same problem. How the hell can they top DS1?

Also I would think that your first 'souls' game would be your favourite. they are so different from anything else that if you get into it they become truely breahtaking. It's hard to replicate that feeling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

thegame983 wrote: »
    The main problem with DS2 is that DS1 is one of the greatest games ever made.

It was nearly impossible to follow that up. On top of that they changed the way the world was built (which for a lot of people was the best aspect of DS1)

Realistically DS3 will suffer the same problem. How the hell can they top DS1?

Also I would think that your first 'souls' game would be your favourite. they are so different from anything else that if you get into it they become truely breahtaking. It's hard to replicate that feeling again.

I think that's it, most people hadn't played demon's souls before dark souls so it was all new to them.

I enjoyed dark souls 2 just as much as dark souls 1.

I preferred DS2. I knew how to play the game by the time it came around. DS1 was traumatic. I never played anything like it. I got stuck in the opening area of the Undead burg for what felt like an eternity. What I needed to do was go back and level up at every opportunity. I got caught in a loop of dying and trying to retrieve my souls, but never spending them or losing them entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I've played all the games as they launched and Bloodborne is my favourite.

It can depend on the day though as sometimes I think about how good Dark Souls is.

Also I think it is definitely possible to improve. DS2 was an obvious step back. The fact that DS3 has a linked area already makes it a huge improvement.

Now what matters is the Boss design and going by what we've seen and the bosses in Bloodborne I'm pretty confident. Especially in the old Hunters where the bosses change their pattern or themselves depending on how much health they have. We're going to see a lot of that here.

Ahhh I chalk my lack of enthusiasm for DS2 to DS1 being an unrepeatable unique 1st time experience then i remember all the times I had to switch armor and weapons in in DS1 and sticking with the same stuff in 2 for most of the game, never finding a sword that suited me in 2, i've not been back since i finished it but on release it crippled pure melee players and rewarded hex/faith to a degree that was pure bs. I'm sure a lot changed in terms of balance since?

DS 2 never had those sens to anor londo to painted world moments , even if you had played demons you couldn;t help but be awed by them. The only think I don't miss form DS1 are tail cuts, but they replaced those with keeping summoned npcs alive in ds2 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Dark Souls 3 preview event for media, they set it up in a church with smoke and an organ player. What an epic place to play the game.

Apparently we're supposed to be celebrating that the game can run at 60 fps

https://mobile.twitter.com/DarkSoulsGame/status/707998895981203457

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Oh, there's history here. That's why it's good news.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

They're just addressing unsubstantiated rumours that it would be locked to 30fps. Fairly good idea since it would probably mean the difference between hitting "Add to Wishlist" instead of "Add to cart" for some folk.

And it's not celebrating, it's praising the sun, bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I'm so excited about DS3 but I'm also dreading it because I'll end up trading it in. I've played all the Souls games, along with Bloodborne, and I'm just not good enough for them. I just don't seem to have the dexterity (or determination) required. But I find the worlds utterly intoxicating. So, From Software, take my money, again, you shower of cruel bastards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,862 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not exactly bad though either. At least it will be 60 FPS. I ended up abandoning Bloodbourne for a while for Scholar of the first Sin on PC because the sub 30 FPS framerate drops and frame pacing issues just meant it felt horrible to control in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So it's capped at 60? Is game logic tied to FPS again?

pc being 60 and consoles being 30 would suggest not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

strelok wrote: »

It's great news but I will be really shocked if I can play this unlocked on my 144hz monitor. 144 fps will break the game I'm almost sure of it.
    My guess is the physics are tied to the frame rate but there is a simple global modifier somewhere in the engine, this would make it easy for them to make a small change so the pc version is native at 60 fps.

PC gamers, never happy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

strelok wrote: »

People forgetting DaS2 already?
    tuxy wrote: »
    It's great news but I will be really shocked if I can play this unlocked on my 144hz monitor. 144 fps will break the game I'm almost sure of it.
    My guess is the physics are tied to the frame rate but there is a simple global modifier somewhere in the engine, this would make it easy for them to make a small change so the pc version is native at 60 fps

Yeah, uncapped FPS going to cause issues. Calling it now.
    tuxy wrote: »
    PC gamers, never happy. :)

Not since there's no actual PC games anymore. Almost everything's just a 7/8th gen port. Oh well back to Blade of Darkness I go.

Advertisement