Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!*!* Music LC15 - Before and After *!*!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Username44

I hoping The Beatles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Username44 wrote: »
    I hoping The Beatles!

I did hear something about them also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

There's no point in predicting Music since every work will appear no matter what! But I have heard that either Berlioz or The Beatles will appear the the long question.

Anyone have tips on how to improve melody writing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GoodbyeMrA

Anyone have any resources for backing chords? Missed a lot of school this year and hardly got a chance with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 AllyBushell

One of the best Music resources out there imo

http://leavingcertmusic.weebly.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Messo

What essays should I learn for irish music ?? Thank you

The Beatles- Shes leaving home
    Berlioz March au Supplice
    Dean- Dies Irae
    Mozart- Movement 3

Essays:
    Collectors of Irish Music
    Sean Nos
    Irish Song Tradition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

^^ That'd be beautiful ! I'm so ducked for the listening section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

The Beatles- Shes leaving home
    Berlioz March au Supplice
    Dean- Dies Irae
    Mozart- Movement 3

Essays:
    Collectors of Irish Music
    Sean Nos
    Irish Song Tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lana96

Any ideas for what the melody will be like? My music teacher says a minor is due and she suspects with 6/8 with an upbeat

• Advertisement

A minor melody, 6/8 and with an upbeat is the hardest you could get but yes it's likely. The melodic minor is such a ***$

On the upside, at least the Backing Chords will most likely be major.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Lana96 wrote: »
    Any ideas for what the melody will be like? My music teacher says a minor is due and she suspects with 6/8 with an upbeat

I think that a melody like this is extremely unlikely. They have never given a minor melody that had an upbeat. Never. They also rarely give minors that are in awkward time signatures.

Usually it's either upbeat+awkward time signature OR minor.
    This is just my findings anyway, I'd be absolutely shocked if I saw a minor melody with 6/8 and an upbeat, that would be the cruel of cruels and would surely cause outrage amongst students and Teachers alike.

My prediction is simply a minor melody, probably in 4/4, maybe 3/4 or another time sig but definitely not with an upbeat.

I'd also guess a minor harmony too but not as sure on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

in 2012 I think it was a 6/8 minor but you're right, no offbeat.
    I like the 6/8 time for some reason...I think you can be less imaginative with rhythm and all...which works!
    Harmony minor is grand too only I like using the III - VI but you know can't in a minor. Hopefully it will be a 6/8 melody and a simple time like 4/4 for the Harmony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Max96

Could anyone please give me some hints/tips/notes/sample answers for the Composing Question 1, (Continuation of a giving opening) and harmony question 5 (Composing bass notes and chord indications to a given tune) for major and minor. Would be a massive help as I am struggling big time. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepbaiii

Just wondering if anybody knows what is the recommended amount of Irish music essays to learn for HL music.

I have the top 4:
    Collectors
    Influence on North America
    The Chieftans
    Mícheál Ó Súilleabháin

And then I'm not sure after that. I could learn
    Sean Nós
    Céilí bands
    Irish dance music
    Seán O Riada
    Irish song tradition
    Irish harping tradition

Really want to pick as little as possible out of the second list as I have a lot of work on Mozart to do. Got a new teacher for 6th year and she basically did nothing.
    Any help would be appreciated as I need an A!

I would say dance music

Is a minor harmony treated different then a major one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Max96 wrote: »
    Could anyone please give me some hints/tips/notes/sample answers for the Composing Question 1, (Continuation of a giving opening) and harmony question 5 (Composing bass notes and chord indications to a given tune) for major and minor. Would be a massive help as I am struggling big time. Cheers.

Q5.. Get the chords first
    . generally 4 phrases .. at the end of each one is a cadence. if you can do these 2 chords per cadence then that's 8 chords done (last 2 or 3 chords is the easiest).
    look at the melody notes on strong beats.. if the majority are from your triads in the chord grid then chalk it down.
    Try to stick to 1 4 5 chords as much as possible.
    When all chords done move to bass notes..

Bass notes: quickly go through and put the root note in the bass under each chord as a semibreve (change the rhythm later). Youll get a better idea of shape then (melody goes up --> bass goes down.. vice versa)
    Use 1st inv to get you out of trouble (if nothing else fits)... approach and leave this bass note by step.

When all bass notes sketched in look at given bassline rhythm, try to keep to the given style. Leave room for long notes at cadence points.

Oh yeah, make sure you are in the right key..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Helppls

Is anyone doing the listening elective? My teacher is **** and I can't find anything about the CD online?
    Does anyone know how many pieces have to be on it, how long they have to be and if you can use a memory stick instead??

What do you do the Elective instead of? It looks really easy, learn off an essay about 5 pieces of music? That seems much easier than composing and listening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Helppls

It's actually instead of doing 50% performing, you do 25% of an elective! Still have to do the listening and composing paper unfortunately ! It is really easy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 griffin246

whats everyone learning for the Irish music essays?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepbaiii

Have they ever put a set work on as q1 twice in a row? We barely did Mozart like

• Registered Users Posts: 16 me1289

Is a minor harmony treated different then a major one ?
    yes dear god yes
    griffin246 wrote: »
    whats everyone learning for the Irish music essays?

Influence of Irish music on North America
    Fusion
    Sean Nos singing
    Collectors
    Composers
    Harping Tradition
    Development of music since the 1950's.

I've learned:
    Dance Music
    Ornamentation
    Regional styles
    Sean-nós
    North America influence
    Changes in Irish music since 1920's
    The Song Tradition

Probably should have learned Sean'O Riada or maybe the preservation of Irish music

Guys I have applied maths tomorrow and so have had zero cramming time for music.

I have one essay learned off, the song tradition.
    How likely is this to come up? Lol I know I'm stupid but applied maths > music at this stage.

Last minute panic - what if the note we have to use in our modulation is already # ? Do you put two sharps in front of the note or just one to signify it's a double sharp?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Hydrocerium

Last minute panic - what if the note we have to use in our modulation is already # ? Do you put two sharps in front of the note or just one to signify it's a double sharp?

Raise it one semitone still which if the note's sharp would bring it to the next note I think eg: if you are modulating from D it goes to D#, if you are modulating from D# it would go to E or if you are modulating from D flat it would go to D natural

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

wont happen
    You only need to know keys up to 4sharps and flats...
    So even if was in E (4sharps) and you modulate to dominant (Bmajor) then its just the A that becomes sharpened.

• Advertisement

So, what did everyone think?

Advertisement