Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!*!* Music LC15 - Before and After *!*!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

I would have liked more time to look over my melody. Overall thought the listening was good, the composition all right, don't really know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Grand paper, no surprises really.

I'm done now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Fine, listening was standard. Very happy with the composition. I did both 65 minutes and left after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Was q5 on harmonies in the composing paper in 4/4 or 3/4 time?

Also, was there a bar you had to finish in the bass at the start, as I know I finished it 3/4 but was told the time Sig. was 4/4 after??

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Was q5 on harmonies in the composing paper in 4/4 or 3/4 time?

Also, was there a bar you had to finish in the bass at the start, as I know I finished it 3/4 but was told the time Sig. was 4/4 after??

Thanks

4/4 with a crotchet upbeat so last bar has 3 beats..

Ya bar 2 needs 1 more beat (or crotchet rest!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sheepbaiii

Thought q 5 harmony was tricky enough! Was I the only one? :( Listening was grand though!

sheepbaiii wrote: »
    Thought q 5 harmony was tricky enough! Was I the only one? :( Listening was grand though!

No you weren't! Didn't realise there was an offbeat ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Peg14 wrote: »
    No you weren't! Didn't realise there was an offbeat ah well!

Offbeat? What's an offbeat? :O
    Don't you only have to account for that in the ending baseline bar, like only do 3beats instead of 4beats? Or does that effect the whole thing??

Benm123 wrote: »
    Don't you only have to account for that in the ending baseline bar, like only do 3beats instead of 4beats? Or does that effect the whole thing??

It only affects the last bar I think so not really the end of the world!! :pac: An offbeat...yeah that's what my music teacher has always called it. Only from coming on boards did I realise people actually refer to it as an upbeat. SO same thing really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Not sure tbh I think it was good really. Harmony was a ****ing bitch though.

• Advertisement

Benm123 wrote: »

An offbeat usually refers to notes where something happents but not on the strong beats. Like in a 4/4 the strong beats are 1 and 3 (count 1 2 3 4 a few times and you'll naturally hear yourself saying the 1 and 3 louder ... 2 and 4 are the offbeats).

The correct term is 'upbeat' as it implies the complete phrase doesn't start on the 1st beat of the bar. Offbeat could refer to any part of the music where something occurs once as an offbeat (even with the phrase starting on the 1st beat).

So.. 'upbeat' is the word we should use... or 'pickup' if you want to be a funky hipster from the states.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dingle123

Did anyone actually know what a flageolet was? It was never mentioned by my teacher before...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 me1289

Dingle123 wrote: »
    Did anyone actually know what a flageolet was? It was never mentioned by my teacher before...
    it meant play any harmonic

me1289 wrote: »
    it meant play any harmonic

I said it was pressing/plucking string lightly to sound an octave higher. Other people I know said it was pressing it lightly a 4th higher to make it sound 2octaves higher. Not sure really what they're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Benm123

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    An offbeat usually refers to notes where something happents but not on the strong beats. Like in a 4/4 the strong beats are 1 and 3 (count 1 2 3 4 a few times and you'll naturally hear yourself saying the 1 and 3 louder ... 2 and 4 are the offbeats).

The correct term is 'upbeat' as it implies the complete phrase doesn't start on the 1st beat of the bar. Offbeat could refer to any part of the music where something occurs once as an offbeat (even with the phrase starting on the 1st beat).

So.. 'upbeat' is the word we should use... or 'pickup' if you want to be a funky hipster from the states.

Oh ok yes I'm familiar with offbeats like that, I play drums so :P phew, just got confused when someone said offbeat, I'm very used to upbeat and i accounted for it in the last bar! Crisis averted!

Dingle123 wrote: »

Roundabout 11mins in...

Advertisement