Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Car Tax or Insurance

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you're a good driver nothing will go wrong. Any damage to your car would be caused by another driver and their insurance will cover you.

Do you drive? If you do, do you have insurance?

Also, how come rally drivers crash sometimes? I was under the impression that they would be considered to be good drivers? If a good driver can crash...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

MarkR wrote: »

Also, how come rally drivers crash sometimes? I was under the impression that they would be considered to be good drivers? If a good driver can crash...

Would the car seats in the back not increase the weight and the kids shouting not distract them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

I have the utmost faith in my driving ability. Never had as much as a scrape in 16 years of driving.

I've seen them alright, just never been pulled over myself.

"I have never been shot. therefore, I am bulletproof."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

MarkR wrote: »

They drive way over the speed limit, though. I mean, they're just taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

As long as the car's has an NCT it's all hunky dory..

That and I smell BS..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

They drive way over the speed limit, though. I mean, they're just taking the piss.

Would make the school run an bit more entertaining though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

do you really need the hassle of having to run away from the scene of an accident especially if you have a few pints on you?

having insurance gives you piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If she's a teacher does she have her taxi taxed and insured for the summer months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Would make the school run an bit more entertaining though ?

So long as you don't carpool in a helicopter like Colin McRae, I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah but all that happens is you get a fine and points on your licence.

If you get caught you pay the fine. It's going to be less than two years worth of insurance.

All the points do is cause your insurance to go up so when you don't have any they don't really mean anything.

Add the cost of a replacement car if the guards (rightly) seize and crush it.

I'd give her a deadline, op. Tell her you'll be reporting her if she hasn't sorted it out by the end of the month. Also, tell her you'll report her immediately if she uses it at all before it's legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lainey_ie

Celticfire wrote: »
    As long as the car's has an NCT it's all hunky dory..

That and I smell BS..

I wish it was BS then I wouldn't have to even be thinking to doing anything about it. I pay my insurance and tax its the joys of having a car.....

appreciate all the comments:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have the utmost faith in my driving ability. Never had as much as a scrape in 16 years of driving...

As useless as this kind of "I am the greatest" mickey-waving is, the one bit of a tip I had in over 25 years and about half-a-million miles of road cost €200 and was sorted out without involving insurance, so I have similar faith in myself. I still wouldn't be without insurance, though. Do you have insurance yourself, at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

It just boggles the mind to try and think how someone who seemingly had the brains to qualify as a teacher could even consider this. But then maybe her brains are all used up now.

She better pack a raincoat and umbrella in the boot just in case she meets that checkpoint on a dark wet night. They might be needed as she watches the tail lights of the tow truck disappearing into the distance with her car on board.

Both the Gardaí and the courts take a very dim view of driving without insurance. Tax more than two months out and you're unlikely to see much discretion. Your car will probably be towed and impounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I have the utmost faith in my driving ability. Never had as much as a scrape in 16 years of driving.

Famous last words.... :D:D

Having faith in your own driving ability does not mean one is a good driver, maybe just very lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

What's this "dob them in" guttural slang in aid of? :confused: Sounds very uneducated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

For anyone that is saying it is none of your business, I would disagree. If it was Tax and NCT I would not give a crap but the fact that it is insurance pisses me off. Think of it this way. What if they ended up hitting someone you knew, maybe a family member, or even you. You would be up **** creek and you would have to claim on your own insurance affecting you for years to come.

I would report the driving with no insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

It just boggles the mind to try and think how someone who seemingly had the brains to qualify as a teacher could even consider this. But then maybe her brains are all used up now.
    I know plenty of people who have mastered the ability to absorb what books feed to them but have worse judgement than Pontias Pilate.

Mint Aero wrote: »
    What's this "dob them in" guttural slang in aid of? :confused: Sounds very uneducated.

'S grass 'em up to the fackin' filf innit old son. Done up like a kipper an' no mistake, round your manor guv'nor. Owwighen??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Since it was perfectly comprehensible to the rest of us, I think we can conclude it didn't detract from the coherence of his statement. But if you don't speak English as a first language, it means "tell on them".

jimgoose wrote: »
    'S grass 'em up to the fackin' filf innit old son. Done up like a kipper an' no mistake, round your manor guv'nor. Owwighen??

That...I think translates as "Give them up up to the [expletive] police (?), isn't it, old son. Er..in trouble (taking enough heat to be comparable to a cooked fish), and there's no possibility of this being incorrect, and [the police] will be coming to your house, sir. Am I right/Is this right on?"

I'll take correction to that last bit though. :D

Samaris wrote: »
    ...That...I think translates as "Give them up up to the [expletive] police (?), isn't it, old son. Er..in trouble (taking enough heat to be comparable to a cooked fish), and there's no possibility of this being incorrect, and [the police] will be coming to your house, sir. Am I right/Is this right on?"

Mint, me ol' china - pukka, lawrfin'! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Since it was perfectly comprehensible to the rest of us, I think we can conclude it didn't detract from the coherence of his statement. But if you don't speak English as a first language, it means "tell on them".

That...I think translates as "Give them up up to the [expletive] police (?), isn't it, old son. Er..in trouble (taking enough heat to be comparable to a cooked fish), and there's no possibility of this being incorrect, and [the police] will be coming to your house, sir. Am I right/Is this right on?"

Mint, me ol' china - pukka, lawrfin'! :D

"Dob" is an Aussie word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

"Dob" is an Aussie word
    Need to be careful what you say... DOB will have you before a judge. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Freeman on the Land folks probably don't have any tax or insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

YFlyer wrote: »
    Freeman on the Land folks probably don't have any tax or insurance.

Probably would need to have a yachtmaster certificate though as they seemingly claim only admiralty or marine law are applicable to them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

endacl wrote: »
    Add the cost of a replacement car if the guards (rightly) seize and crush it.

I'd give her a deadline, op. Tell her you'll be reporting her if she hasn't sorted it out by the end of the month. Also, tell her you'll report her immediately if she uses it at all before it's legal.
    Screw that,

douse the car in petrol and set it alight

if she threatens to call the cops , blackmail her with the threat of reporting the lack of tax and insurance*

*note this may be easier if you didn't destroy the evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Comprehensible to some degree. It would be equally as comprehensible as "wob them in" "zob them in" "nob them in" "bob them in" "cob them in" in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

The Garda are working on the frontline.
    The teachers are working on the frontline.
    Only a wimp has insurance on the frontline.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Arrogance like that deserves punishment, if its true shes gone without both theres a lot of punishment coming her way and deservedly so

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Them Thar Hills

Thats not fair, i'm on the dole, i pay every year for tax and insurance, nct with out fail, and i never get stoped by the garda,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,734 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Who ya gonna call.

Maurice McCabe, Mick Wallace and Clare Daly.

Advertisement