Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Car Tax or Insurance

Options
  • 02-06-2015 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Just looking for a bit of advice. So I live with someone who has had no car tax since 2013 and no insurance since 2014. Shes a teacher and brags constantly that shes been stopped by guards and they've let her go since shes a teacher (Im not sure whether that is true or not to be fair). Im just worried that shell do damage to another car (namely mine) or even worse by in an accident and hurt someone. She drives to school every day which is even worse and parks in the school.

Just wondering if anyone knows of anything that can be done like a confidential line or anything. The only thing that will make her do anything is if shes stopped again and made get tax or insurance. I've never even thought of anything like this before but whenever I say it she just laughs it off and says ill get around to it and that's been for the last year.

Thanks a mil:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This is an incredible level of assholery and you should dob the silly bint in immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Reg to Garda or Garda confidential line. But having tax or insurance does not stop accidents.

Good drivers don't need insurance.

Thought it was a legal requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Good cars don't need tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Yeah, sarcasm is a legal requirement in After Hours.

Yeah but all that happens is you get a fine and points on your licence.

If you get caught you pay the fine. It's going to be less than two years worth of insurance.

All the points do is cause your insurance to go up so when you don't have any they don't really mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Ring the Garda immediately and dob them in

http://garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=3430
    Garda Confidential Line - 1800 666111

Yeah but all that happens is you get a fine and points on your licence.

If you get caught you pay the fine. It's going to be less than two years worth of insurance.

All the points do is cause your insurance to go up so when you don't have any they don't really mean anything.

You can only have 12 points in 3 years

5 per no insurance.

You can only have 12 points in 3 years

5 per no insurance.

Yeah but how often are you going to get caught? When was the last time you were in a checkpoint?

You'd want to be fairly unlucky to get caught out three times in 3 or 4 years.

• Advertisement

Yeah but how often are you going to get caught? When was the last time you were in a checkpoint?

Driving without insurance is a criminal offence and even it wasn't it would be a rare sort of dog-with-a-mallet-up-his-hole that would do it. If things go wrong and you end up doing big damage you could be wiped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

It's awkward and feels like betrayal to do it, but you should. For everyone else's sake, if she causes damage, etc, well, you know the story there. But if she's in an accident and it comes out then that she's untaxed and uninsured, it could end up ruining her life for a significant period as even if it's not technically her fault, she'll get lamped with this and it'll be too late by then to say "I meant to get around to it". She's a bloody idiot, but she's not going to get away with it forever. Report her, seriously.

If you really feel bad about doing it, report her and then casually comment to her that "oh yeah, someone at work was saying he got done for not insurance, there's supposedly a major clampdown going on on it." and well, you've really given her every damn chance at that point to get her arse in gear. There's excuses she might get away with making if she starts the process herself, but if someone else has to drag her to court over it, she'll get no leeway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Mind your own business op ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'd be very surprised if she was waved on from a Garda check with no insurance. Tax, maybe - there's discretion there. There's zero discretion with no insurance though, as a Guard could be liable if the car is waved through a checkpoint/stop & then crashes. I smell poo poo

You would probably be fine in the back ass of beyond where they have closed a load of Station. But i would not suggest doing it in large urban areas like Cork or Dublin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Myrddin wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if she was waved on from a Garda check with no insurance. Tax, maybe - there's discretion there. There's zero discretion with no insurance though, as a Guard could be liable if the car is waved through a checkpoint/stop & then crashes. I smell poo poo

Same here no insurance can incur a prison sentence, the car can also be seized immediately

Stheno wrote: »
    Same here no insurance can incur a prison sentence, the car can also be seized immediately

In the Uk can't they cube them ? Well after being seized.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

In the Uk can't they cube them ? Well after being seized.

Yep I oimagine they can do the same here if the car isn't claimed after a certain amount of time

jimgoose wrote: »
    If things go wrong and you end up doing big damage you could be wiped out.

If you're a good driver nothing will go wrong. Any damage to your car would be caused by another driver and their insurance will cover you.

You would probably be fine in the back ass of beyond where they have closed a load of Station. But i would not suggest doing it in large urban areas like Cork or Dublin.

I honesty can't remember the last time I was stopped in Dublin. I think it was when the car was new and I was just waved through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Take a picture of the discs OP. I smell bullshuit.

If you're a good driver nothing will go wrong. Any damage to your car would be caused by another driver and their insurance will cover you.

You are obviously a man of deep and unshakeable faith. I salute! :D

I honesty can't remember the last time I was stopped in Dublin. I think it was when the car was new and I was just waved through.

I see stop checks all the time, Esp for tax and Insurance. Oh and the revenue out. Lads in white vans pulled over all on the side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

If things go wrong and you end up doing big damage you could be wiped out.

If.

I thought just having a bunch of Religious tat on the dash stopped any accidents ?

I thought just having a bunch of Religious tat on the dash stopped any accidents ?

Ah, you're thinking of the Farmer's Insurance, a.k.a. a Padre Pio windscreen sticker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Bull****. I don't believe you, any more than anyone else, are a -perfect driver-. For a start, if you WERE, you'd have sodding tax and insurance. **** -happens-. A second's distraction. A dog running into the road. Having to drive in really bad conditions. A sneeze coming up to a traffic light. Badly behaved kids in the back seat.

You may as well say "if you take care of your car, nothing will ever go wrong, so why require a NCT?" You can be a wonderful mechanic, and maybe even pass your NCT every time with flying colours, but **** can still break.

Also, I love your assumption that insurance should be based on one's own estimation of how wonderful one is. Can't see that ever going wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Whether or not she conforms to the law is down to the category of society she inhabits:

- A Clio-driving, slowcoach, risk-averse drudge, by their very incompetence inextricably bound by the limits of law

- A Motors forum expert

I have the utmost faith in my driving ability. Never had as much as a scrape in 16 years of driving.
    I see stop checks all the time, Esp for tax and Insurance. Oh and the revenue out. Lads in white vans pulled over all on the side of the road.

I've seen them alright, just never been pulled over myself.

Don't drive a commercial vehicle so I can't imagine the revenue lads would be dipping my tank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Myrddin wrote: »

Or blow jobs.

Advertisement