Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"They can't even grow potatoes!..."

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

trollface.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

MajorMax wrote: »
    He's right, I haven't a clue how to grow potatoes

Bollox, it's in your blood man. The Anlgo-American media have managed to convince you otherwise, but deep down you yearn for The Land and potatoes with which to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He's right about the tree/three thing, though. Does my head in.
    Do you know what our native language is? The clue is in the answer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

He's right about the tree/three thing, though. Does my head in.

its just one of the small quirks of Hiberno-english

not to worry it will die out soon enough and we will all sound like the cast of friends

wunderbar

blinding wrote: »
    Kinda of forgot about the "white n*ggers" one myself. I am getting "careless" as I get older.

Does Elvis Costello have something about that in a song?

Oliver's Army.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭geraardo

I thought our national symbol or emblem was the harp,please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Does Elvis Costello have something about that in a song?

Olivers Army.

But it's not in reference to Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

It must make all these people wince that Ireland is more toward looking than themselves,he is only demonstrating what an oaf he is with his remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Bloody convicts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Sciprio wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be funny if we can get the Irish in Australia to send lots of potatoes to his office? haha

It'd just prove his point really. Couldn't even send Irish potatoes from ireland because there are none. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

A dingo stole my potatoes! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

A dingo stole my potatoes! :(

Did you hear the one about the Irish dingo?

It ate the tent.:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

They have the Sydney opera house but no opera of their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Classic Alf Stewart :D

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    It'd just prove his point really. Couldn't even send Irish potatoes from ireland because there are none. :(
    They wouldn't get through customs either way as you see in them stupid Aussie nothing to declare programs. If they had a feed of beans before entering the country and sh1t a bean in the airport jacks they would nearly arrest them for bringing in foreign food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm delighted to see that Sir Les Patterson is still active in Australian politics after all these years.

Barry Humphries' is definitely a bit of a comic genius :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Get daaaaa Bouncer, ya flamin' baaaaastid!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

kneemos wrote:
    Planted a row of potaetoes last year...disaster.

See that was your first mistake... It's a drill of potatoes.. They'd never grow in a row..try again with a drill, but not a real electric drill, you don't have to screw them in or bolt them, just, ah feck it, it's too complicated.. Just go down to aldi, the man is right,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭CFlat

I tried to sow potatoes tree times but day didn't grow. I don't tink I planted dem right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I'm confused that we can be mocked given that we have dominant white privilege and belong to a dominant white privileged group who culturally dominate the world. Dominately.

Could it be that that's not true? It's more complex than that?

• Advertisement

Who gives a sh1t what that stupid Aussie b@stard thinks anyway. Bloody social media picking on every little word around the world if he said that 20 years back very few would hear it and even less would care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Who gives a sh1t what that stupid Aussie b@stard thinks anyway. Bloody social media picking on every little word around the world if he said that 20 years back very few would hear it and even less would care.

I donno - I think to be honest stuff like that needs a reaction.

This guy has done a piece of very poor PR for Australia and I think it's something they should be aware of.

We live in a globalised world of communication - if you slag someone or a group off, they'll hear about it!!

I think I'd be more offended if I were Australian than Irish. We're just the butt of a bad joke. He's not representing or advising us!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Meh, some has-been Dame Edna look alike wants to insult the Irish people and the best he can do is a thinly veiled reference to a distant famine and a dislike of our Shamrock. :D I'd not take anything he has to say too seriously, he clearly has no idea what the famine was about and he's only succeeded in making himself look like a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

the australian accent is is obviously superior :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭droidman123

We have a mutant weed as our national symbol. Says this australian whos national flag is tainted by a foreign flag in its top corner, whos head of his country is a foreign queen from a country 10500 miles away. Ha this is guy is in serious need of a brain transplant!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

An acquaintance once told me that a nickname that some aussies have for the Irish is :

Potato N*gg*rs (I mean no offence to anyone with this)

I wonder if others can corroborate if this is true or not ?

don't know about that

but when the irish first arrived in America they we're called white ****

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

fryup wrote: »
    don't know about that

but when the irish first arrived in America they we're called white ****

You'll still hear that in NYC to this day. Potato N also.

Advertisement