Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"They can't even grow potatoes!..."

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

What a bs rant, the guy's obviously got deeper issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

An acquaintance once told me that a nickname that some aussies have for the Irish is :

Potato N*gg*rs (I mean no offence to anyone with this)

I wonder if others can corroborate if this is true or not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

When you have spent time there and then having to deal with their diaspora that has settled in the motherland it becomes clear.

I am sure they are not all like that, but sadly the majority I have dealt with via my line of work are.

Well that's a bit different. I thought we were discussing the generalisation that the majority of Australians agree with this mans comments about Ireland and the Irish. Not about the indigoneous population.

Links234 wrote: »
    Ah, it's Australia, racism is a national passtime for that lot :p

Here, laugh at some Australians:

Fook it that was funny !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

blinding wrote: »
    An acquaintance once told me that a nickname that some aussies have for the Irish is :

Wow have never heard that one before but I'm sure someone has said it. Even the roughest rednecks I've worked with have never said anything remotely close to that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

“..these are people who can’t grow potatoes,
    they’ve got a mutant lawn weed as their national symbol
    they can’t verbalise the difference between tree and the number three..."
    He has a point though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

“I love the Irish… but these are people who can’t grow potatoes,” he said while discussing the issue on Sky News.

Jesus IT WAS JUST THAT ONE TIME!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Hey Grahame Morris,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Wasn't there an Aussie government advisor on the news recently saying that climate change was a UN hoax designed to establish a new world order... Yeah, let's just let them off. Not the full shilling like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

These bloody things are everywhere. They're in the lift, in the lorry, in the bond wizard, and all over the malonga gilderchuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sky King wrote: »
    Anyone else see the irony in a thread full of negative comments generalising about the xenophobia / bigotry of Australians?

Relax and stick another shrimp on the barbie.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

This guy's just an idiot.

I doubt he speaks for all Australians....just the low-iq ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,072 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

they’ve got a mutant lawn weed as their national symbol

Never knew the Harp was a lawn weed. Of course the Aussies are famous for their botanical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

Egginacup wrote: »
    This guy's just an idiot.

Mr. Simpson, shush! Disparaging the boot is a bootable offense!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

blinding wrote: »

Dunno if it's an Aussie insult or not, but yeah, I've heard of potato n*ggers and white n*ggers relating to Irish people.

Samaris wrote: »
    Dunno if it's an Aussie insult or not, but yeah, I've heard of potato n*ggers and white n*ggers relating to Irish people.
    Kinda of forgot about the "white n*ggers" one myself. I am getting "careless" as I get older.

Does Elvis Costello have something about that in a song?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It was quite amusing how the French incident went down on some French media outlets though.
    If there's one country that can analyse something to death and academically critique, it's France!

There were debates about whether French culture was becoming similar to this horrific Australian incident and what France could do to avoid becoming an uncultured place like Australia and the odd in depth analysis of how Australian xenophobia may have come about ... Perhaps a sense of inadequacy due to their colonial past as a penal colony and so on...

If you were Aussi and understood French .. Ouch!

France is *far* from perfect itself but they will openly admit that. It was very much used as an illustration of how minorities in France itself might feel under pressure from racism.

What annoys me about the attitude coming across from Australian media is that there's a sort of glorification of ignorance going on.

If someone said something like that on Sky News UK they'd be shredded alive by the British press this morning. That's unlikely in Australia.

If there are any Aussis or Irish in oz reading this maybe they might link where this has been critiqued by other Australian media? I'd like to see both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

He's right, I haven't a clue how to grow potatoes

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Samaris wrote: »

Damn naggers. I hate them too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If ever you meet an arrogant Australian

From the era when Australia took itself less seriously and was fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Egginacup wrote: »

He's a member of a right-wing party, so... yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Just goes to show no matter how crap The Simpsons is these days when it was on form it was on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

If that's the level of debate the Australian's are comfortable with from their government regarding a serious matter then good luck to them.

"Don't allow gay marriage, the Irish did and after all few hundred years ago they had a potato famine there"

Sterling work. One of the great minds of the century at work right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

He said our national plant is a weed. Their plant is called the wattle. I wonder if he knows that's something that's made from dung.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

OZ........ Cultural capital of the world.
    No wonder Clive James opted for the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

Wouldn’t it be funny if we can get the Irish in Australia to send lots of potatoes to his office? haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The opinion of a nation that ethnically cleansed its native inhabitants and imposed an apartheid system on them. Does not and will never concern me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Sciprio wrote: »
    Wouldn’t it be funny if we can get the Irish in Australia to send lots of potatoes to his office? haha
    No t'would not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Sciprio

snubbleste wrote: »
    No t'would not

Ah it would.:D

Advertisement