Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"They can't even grow potatoes!..."

Options
  • 02-06-2015 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Nice to see racism in Australia alive and well:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/australian-commentator-slams-irish-as-a-people-who-cant-grow-potatoes-during-samesex-marriage-debate-31271623.html

The guy was quizzed about allowing same-sex marriages in Oz and as a reaction this guy comes out with some beautiful ways to describe the Irish.
    The guy should be ashamed that if us "potato people" can decide to be more tolerant/equal to all members of the public then maybe a country the size of Australia in the arse end of nowhere can follow suit.
    I for one am proud of what we have achieved and that it was the public that decided our own fate and not 10 ministers in a locked room like in the other countries which approved SSM.
    Idiot.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Australian's, they be Irish too if their grandparents weren't convicts...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

In a slagging match between an Oz and a Paddy, its be a great line. Bit ridiculous as a point against SSM via the Irish. Dam good line though....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

coming from a man who can't spell his name properly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

"they can’t verbalise the difference between tree and the number three".

Ya because the Australians are masters of the English language apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

Ya call that a knife... THIS is a knife!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I dont think he knows what verbalise means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

I'd say most Australians haven't been to Ireland. They get their Irish perspective from second generation 'POMs'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well that's my mind made up on an Aussi vacation!

Seriously does he even realise how that's seen abroad and not just by Irish people either! It's just nasty xenophobia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Bigots will be bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

“I love the Irish… but these are people who can’t grow potatoes,” he said while discussing the issue on Sky News.

Someone once said disregard everything someone said before the word "but".

Fcuk him anyway.

it's not just the Irish who get it. A few years ago group of French tourists were told to "speak English or die" on a bus in Australia and literally bullied off and threatened.

The result was incredibly bad PR for Australia in France as the whole thing was caught on a smartphone camera

This was what went out on all the French news channels and got a nearly full day of debate!

http://youtu.be/9oxVlP4pYc0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

Patient: "Was I prought to the hospital to die?"
    Oz Doc: "No mate, you were brought in yesterdie"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

This is the same guy who said that Julia Hillard should be kicked to death a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Planted a row of potaetoes last year...disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone else see the irony in a thread full of negative comments generalising about the xenophobia / bigotry of Australians?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Well that's my mind made up on an Aussi vacation!

Seriously does he even realise how that's seen abroad and not just by Irish people either! It's just nasty xenophobia!

Mine too.

I'm amazed though that he's a "former advisor to the LIBERAL party.
    , Grahame Morris, a former advisor to the ruling Liberal party
    What sort of Liberal party is that? The Facist Liberals?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SpaceTime wrote: »
    nasty xenophobia!

Xenophobia is the closest australia comes to having a culture, they must cherish and protect it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If you're going to base your reasoning for not going on a trip of a lifetime to Australia on this man's view of our country you're a bigger idiot than they are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Ya call that a knife... THIS is a knife!

that's not a knife, it's a spoon

Mine too.

I'm amazed though that he's a "former advisor to the LIBERAL party. What sort of Liberal party is that? The Facist Liberals?

The liberal about xenophobia party obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I gotta admit, I just found that funny. If his argument against SSM is that the way was paved for their potential referendum by people who etc etc, then his argument is pretty thin!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

He's right about the tree/three thing, though. Does my head in.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Bullfrogs? That's a silly name. I'd have called them chazzwazzers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Ah, it's Australia, racism is a national passtime for that lot :p

Here, laugh at some Australians:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

The sad thing is many Australians share his opinion.

And where are you basing this from? Have experienced this minimally in the four years I've been here, having travelled a large amount of the country meeting a variety of Australians.

The only real consistent thing I've found here is the 'my great great grandparent was from Ireland' story.

Ireland take a bit of pride in the fact that we're pissing off all the right people. The Westboro Baptist Chruch, Right wing Aussis, the Vatican, probably Putin etc etc

I'm off to stick some tricolours and pride flags in a shamrock garnished spud and I'll be mispronouncing Three with a bit of gusto!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

that's not a knife, it's a spoon

Ah, I see you've played knifey spoony before...

Advertisement