Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Davina McCall sparks controversy over happy marriage advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Plenty of men on Boards have stated they would go elsewhere if their wives did not satisfy them! Davina just telling the truth as she sees it!!

Plenty of men on Boards have done what now? :pac:

Davinia is telling people what she thinks they want to hear, she thought it was simply going to be the usual fluff piece that nobody really bothers reading (a bit like that Loose Women show with Jamelia and Coleen Nolan that nobody really watches), and it turns out there's no shortage of people who need to complain about something, anything, because complaining makes some people feel good about themselves!

Next Up: Calls for Davinia's resignation and of course the usual OTT death threats, etc, etc. I'm finding it more and more difficult to believe people are actually offended any more, or is it just that they like to complain about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Nothing controversial about it.

Sex is essential part of pair bonding for long term relationships.

Dead bedroom = dead marriage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

When she was married to Mick Jagger, Jerry Hall famously said "It is simple to keep a man, you must be a maid in the living room, a cook in the kitchen and a whore in the bedroom. I'd hired the other two and took care of the bedroom bit" They split up not long after!!!

Indeed. Being a whore in the bedroom didn't seem to keep Jagger from straying numerous times.

If someone isn't capable of staying faithful in a marriage, no amount of matching underwear or exhausted sex will change that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

"Keep your partner sexually satisfied and make a decent effort with your physical appearance" doesn't seem like the worst or most controversial advice?

Maybe could have phrased it better, but seems pretty decent.

Pluperfect wrote: »
    No one said that you can stop your partner from cheating by satisfying them in bed.

“You must keep your husband satisfied in the bedroom department, even if you’re absolutely exhausted. Otherwise he will go somewhere else.”

That's what she seems to have said alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

She's not saying that your husband won't cheat if you do satisfy him but that he will if you don't.

She's giving a woman's advice. Presumably she thinks the man should reciprocate.

Basically she's saying sex is important.

(That says I never liked her, but this is harmless).

strobe wrote: »
    "Keep your partner sexually satisfied and make an effort with your appearance" doesn't seem like the worst or most controversial advice?

Not bad advice, but she would have been wise to temper it with some gems on what the husbands could be doing to keep things sweet too.

Although to be fair, the less she says the more I prefer her. She has her volume all the way up to eleven, that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Whisky Mac wrote: »
    If you depend on her for marriage advice then you are fcked. She is on her second marriage.

Clearly someone with one failed marriage knows nothing about some of the reasons marriages fail. Clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

"Keep your partner sexually satisfied and make a decent effort with your physical appearance" doesn't seem like the worst or most controversial advice?

I'd prefer "If your sex life is not in a good place, don't just sweep it under the carpet - confront it" rather than "Keep your partner sexually satisfied", as the latter isn't really easy if a person is having trouble like waning libido. The way she says to have sex even if exhausted - yeah, feeling obliged to have sex - sexy stuff!

Candie wrote: »
    Not bad advice, but she would have been wise to temper it with some gems on what the husbands could be doing to keep things sweet too.

Although to be fair, the less she says the more I prefer her. She has her volume all the way up to eleven, that one.

From the interview
    "Why go to the gym at all? “I want to stay as much as I can like the girl that Matthew married,” says Davina. How about Matthew? Is he allowed to let go? “If he became a cigar-smoking couch potato who ate fries all the time, I’d be disappointed,” she says. “I’d think, hang on, I married a gym bunny.”

Seems she said outright it applies both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

While I'm with her on the importance of sex and keeping it kinky in a relationship, she sounds like she definitely doesn't consider that she holds equal status with her husband in her marriage. It's just as important to get your rocks off if you're the woman. As for infidelity, nobody can foresee why that will happen... it's not fair to go blaming yourself for your partner's indiscretions. Being reasonable with each other and maintaining good communication is really important. You've gotta be buddies with the person you decide to team up with, not subordinate to them. She's from a different generation, I guess.

Seems she said outright it applies both ways.

Missed that somehow. :)

I'd prefer "If your sex life is not in a good place, don't just sweep it under the carpet - confront it" rather than "Keep your partner sexually satisfied", as the latter isn't really easy if a person is having trouble like waning libido. The way she says to have sex even if exhausted - yeah, feeling obliged to have sex - sexy stuff!

Read the interview. She was giving jokey tongue in cheek answers to everything.
    “I had to stop being so stroppy and French,” says Davina. “And Matthew’s were almost entirely about his toilet habits. He spends ages on the loo.” What does he get up to in there, I ask? “He says that’s where he thinks, but actually I suspect he’s playing Candy Crush.”

Extra, extra!! Divina McCall shocks nation by showing her hatred for the French and revealing husband is pathalogical liar!!

It was a fluff interview about some new show she's doing that veered into her personal life. Not the key note speech to a marriage councilors convention.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It depends on how much the man is into and interested in sex. If he's particularly unable to keep it in his pants, Davina may have a point. She must be exhausted and fed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

If someone doesn't do their best to satisfy their partner securly I would consider that cheating, and if someone feels like sex with their partner is a chore then it's cheating also if they don't break up with their partner.
    :pac: you're funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Yurt! wrote: »
    Nothing controversial about it.

Sex is essential part of pair bonding for long term relationships.

Dead bedroom = dead marriage

The next time my wife gets into bed and her underwear don't match, I'm filing for divorce.

It always bothered me when she did this. I never brought up with her as I thought I was possibly over-reacting but now, now I see that I am not alone in my views. How hard is it to buy matching underwear ffs? God, I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it. I'm going to talk to her about it tonight. It's being playing over and over in my mind for a long time now and I just can't take it anymore.

One night she got into bed with a blue bra and red knickers. Who even does that?! :mad: A fcuking, blue, fcuking bra! It's not right!!

I don't know why Davina is getting such a hard time over this. I'm sure there are other men out there, like me, having to sleep next to their spouses and them wearing a blue fcuking bra. Bad enough wearing a blue bra but red knickers, mother of divine christ. I'm calling Joe.

The next time my wife gets into bed and her underwear don't match, I'm filing for divorce.

It always bothered me when she did this. I never brought up with her as I thought I was possibly over-reacting but now, now I see that I am not alone in my views. How hard is it to buy matching underwear ffs? God, I can feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it. I'm going to talk to her about it tonight. It's being playing over and over in my mind for a long time now and I just can't take it anymore.

One night she got into bed with a blue bra and red knickers. Who even does that?! :mad: A fcuking, blue, fcuking bra! It's not right!!

I don't know why Davina is getting such a hard time over this. I'm sure there are other men out there, like me, having to sleep next to their spouses and them wearing a blue fcuking bra. Bad enough wearing a blue bra but red knickers, mother of divine christ. I'm calling Joe.
    I thought you were female???

Wait fat christy is not a girl now? When did that happen??

Chloris wrote: »
    While I'm with her on the importance of sex and keeping it kinky in a relationship, she sounds like she definitely doesn't consider that she holds equal status with her husband in her marriage. It's just as important to get your rocks off if you're the woman. As for infidelity, nobody can foresee why that will happen... it's not fair to go blaming yourself for your partner's indiscretions. Being reasonable with each other and maintaining good communication is really important. You've gotta be buddies with the person you decide to team up with, not subordinate to them. She's from a different generation, I guess.

That's the funny thing - Davinia isn't actually that old! She's from the same gobby generation that gave us Janet Street Porter and a whole host of other numpties, the Britpop generation I suppose if I was to be kind, that made Channel 4 presenters look hip, new and cool in comparison to the "suits" at the BBC.

I guess Davinia thought retro had come back in fashion :D

He spends ages on the loo.” What does he get up to in there, I ask? “He says that’s where he thinks, but actually I suspect he’s playing Candy Crush.”

I suspect he's actually trying to hear himself think. I bet the toilet is somewhat soundproofed and when the SHOUTING gets too much he hides himself away, hands over his ears. Sobbing.

HOUSEMATE. YOU ARE LIVE IN DAVINA'S HOUSE. DO NOT PLAY CANDY CRUSH IN THE LOO.

*sob*

• Advertisement

Eh no, she's actually just giving some standard advice that should be pretty timeless."Her generation" should be irrelevant.

Clearly people are looking for a reaction. I dislike her and can see she was giving advice to women about sex and didn't really have to say "that should be reciprocated".

I for one really doubt that she's the submissive one.

Eh no, she's actually just giving some standard advice that should be pretty timeless."Her generation" should be irrelevant.

Meh, time for a musical interlude -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

I think she's just being honest from her own perspective in her relationship (in a jokey way too)

It's hard for her to tell anyone what her husband is thinking!

People are too easily offended these days. I doubt she'd be married to someone who doesn't respect her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭Patrick Wheelock

Social media has gone into overdrive about her comments, on which she's backtracked slightly, but it's still rubbed many women up the wrong way. Does she have a point, or has she managed to insult both genders at once with her views?

I presume the screechy feminist bullies are in meltdown on Twitter.

I think she's just being honest from her own perspective in her relationship (in a jokey way too)

It's hard for her to tell anyone what her husband is thinking!

People are too easily offended these days. I doubt she'd be married to someone who doesn't respect her.
    She had a VERY dysfunctional upbringing and overcame drug addiction. It's entirely possible that she is. If her husband read that and was content for her to feel that way in the relationship then I really think he is not good for her. I know guys like that they are not good for people. It's hard to see when you are IN IT.

If someone doesn't do their best to satisfy their partner securly I would consider that cheating, and if someone feels like sex with their partner is a chore then it's cheating also if they don't break up with their partner.

But sometimes sex is a chore.

People will go through periods of stress, illness, depression, exhaustion, anxiety....any number of things. You can't always be attuned to your partner's sexual needs. Of course sex is an important part of a relationship, but it's not the be all and end all. There are times when it's the last thing on my mind and times when it's the last thing on my partner's mind. I'm not going to acquiesce to his advances if I'm not in the mood any more than I'd expect him to acquiesce to mine when he's had a shit day.

Feeling obligated to have sex whenever your partner feels like it for fear they may cheat is a horrible, unhealthy way to conduct a relationship. If it gets to the stage where it becomes an issue, then talk about it, but having unrealistic expectations or cheating is never the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm finding it more and more difficult to believe people are actually offended any more, or is it just that they like to complain about anything.

Lot of Westboro Baptist Church types about. Not actually offended, but love the adrenaline rush of trolling the sh!t out of people. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

I presume the screechy feminist bullies are in meltdown on Twitter.

there actually in meltdown on twitter.....over a statue of a man talking to a woman at the moment :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

She's the kind of person who shows up to a karaoke bar and loudly proclaims "Ye can put that away, I don't need a microphone" ;)

• Advertisement

Missed that somehow. :)

Seemed a huge number of people did. As well as the tone of the interview. The fact that the remarks about her husbands opinions on her underwear were a direct response to some nonsense remark the interviewer made about French girls always wearing matching underwear, and clearly said as a joke, and many other things.

What happened on twitter and this thread and happens all over the internet.

People (not you in particular Candie) when there's a 'twitter storm' or whatever over anything, people just sitting on the edge of their seat waiting to be outraged.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement