Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015/16 EPCR draw, Wednesday 17 June 1:15pm Irish time

Options
  • 31-05-2015 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Top 14
    RC Toulon, ASM Clermont Auvergne, Toulouse, Stade Français Paris, Racing Metro 92, Oyonnax, Bordeaux Bègles

Aviva Premiership
    Northampton Saints, Bath Rugby, Leicester Tigers, Saracens, Exeter Chiefs, Wasps

Guinness PRO12
    Glasgow Warriors, Munster Rugby, Ospreys, Ulster Rugby, Leinster Rugby, Scarlets, Benetton Treviso

Champions Cup Pool Draw key principles
    - The 20 clubs which have qualified on merit from the Aviva Premiership, Top 14 and Guinness PRO12 leagues, and/or the Champions Cup play-offs, will compete in the 2015/16 European Rugby Champions Cup in five pools of four.
    - The clubs are divided into four tiers based on their qualification position in their leagues. Tier 1 will contain the three league champions and two of the losing finalists from the leagues. This will be done by a draw in advance of the main pool draw.
    - Each pool will have at least one club from each of the three leagues.
    - Each of the five pools will have one club from each of the four tiers.
    - There will be no more than two clubs from the same league in a pool.
    - No pool will contain two PRO12 clubs from the same country.
    - Clubs from the same league will be kept apart until the allocation of the Tier 4 clubs.

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbychampionscup/news/30955.php#.VWt9m89Viko

In terms of qualified teams, there has been four changes. Sale Sharks, Harlequins, Montpellier and Castres are out and Wasps, Stade Francais, Oyonnax and Bordeaux Begles are in.
    Twitter wrote:
    #ChampionsCup Tiers:
    T1 3 x Champs + 2 finalists
    T2 3 x Rank 3 + (1 finalist + 1 Rank 4 same league)
    T3 2 x Rank 4 + 3 x Rank 5
    T4 Rest

We know that Tier 1 will be Glasgow, Saracens, Top14 Champions and two of Munster, Bath and Top14 runners up. After today we also know Tier 4 will be Wasps, Bordeaux Begles, Oyonnax, Scarlets and Treviso. Wasps are definitely the team to avoid there IMO.

Given the final bullet point, if Munster get into Tier 1 then it gives them a great chance of drawing Benetton Treviso from Tier 4. At least, that's how it looks to me! The French still have to playoff their semi-final and final to determine their Tier positions. Toulouse play Clermont and Toulon play Stade Francais, both matches taking place in Bordeaux.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I can't see how Munster have a better chance of getting Treviso than anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I can't see how Munster have a better chance of getting Treviso than anyone else?

Well Munster would have to get an English and French team from Tiers 2 and 3. Maybe that doesn't help...

Edit: Yup, it doesn't. There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on who you can draw from Tier 4. Oh well. Thanks TF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Well Munster would have to get an English and French team from Tiers 2 and 3. Maybe that doesn't help...

Edit: Yup, it doesn't. There doesn't appear to be any restrictions on who you can draw from Tier 4. Oh well. Thanks TF.

I feel bad now for crushing your hope.

I feel bad now for crushing your hope.

Hah! At least there's no Biarritz to take an Italian team every season!

Assuming Munster get into Tier 1, a possible 'good' pool would be Stade Francais, Exeter and Treviso. I'd love to see us get Racing with the possibility of going to see Dan Carter live! He won't be the player he was but still a legendary player.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

While I would love a trip to Bordeaux, presumably their group would have to contain a second French team as well.

• Advertisement

Would probably do an away leg to Bordeaux for any of the Provinces tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

None of the Irish teams can draw Glasgow or Ospreys then. Probably not a good thing on balance, the alternatives are likely to be better (seems almost disrespecful to Glasgow to say this but you know)
    Also Ospreys can't get Scarlets from Pot4, which therefore means each Irish team has an above average chance of getting Scarlets.

Toulon are now a second seed, as they are losing semifinalists but finished top of the league. It just shows how the change to seedind via league performance changes everything. Under the ERC rankings Toulon would have had a top seed in the bank for a few years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Toulon are now a second seed, as they are losing semifinalists but finished top of the league. It just shows how the change to seedind via league performance changes everything. Under the ERC rankings Toulon would have had a top seed in the bank for a few years.

I now hope that Munster are the losing second place team and end up as second seed :-)

#ChampionsCup Tiers:
    T1 3 x Champs + 2 finalists
    T2 3 x Rank 3 + (1 finalist + 1 Rank 4 same league)
    T3 2 x Rank 4 + 3 x Rank 5
    T4 Rest

So hopefully I have this right. I'm separating losing semi-finalists and losing quarter-finalists (Top 14) on the basis of their league position.

Tier 1:
    Clermont or SF + Glasgow Warriors + Saracens + two of Clermont or SF/Munster/Bath

Tier 2:
    One of Clermont or SF/Munster/Bath + Toulon + Ospreys + Northampton + one of Toulouse/Leicester/Ulster (same league as losing finalist in Tier 2)

Tier 3:
    Two of Toulouse/Leicester/Ulster + Racing Metro + Leinster + Exeter Chiefs

Tier 4:
    Oyonnax + Scarlets + Treviso + Wasps + Bordeaux Begles

So assuming Clermont win the Top14, these are possible tiers:

Tier 1: Clermont + Glasgow Warriors + Saracens + Munster + Bath

Tier 2: Stade Francais + Toulon + Ospreys + Northampton + Toulouse

Tier 3: Leicester + Ulster + Racing Metro + Leinster + Exeter Chiefs

Tier 4: Oyonnax + Scarlets + Treviso + Wasps + Bordeaux Begles

Given these rules...
    - There will be no more than two clubs from the same league in a pool.
    - No pool will contain two PRO12 clubs from the same country.
    - Clubs from the same league will be kept apart until the allocation of the Tier 4 clubs.

A Munster, Toulouse, Exeter Chiefs and Treviso pool is possible?

...or a Munster, Toulon, Leicester, Wasps pool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Tier 2 is a beast. Ospreys will probably get a kinder group than Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

So Bath, Toulouse, Leinster & Treviso would work for me.....

molloyjh wrote: »
    So Bath, Toulouse, Leinster & Treviso would work for me.....

Bath, Toulon, Leinster and Bordeaux would work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bath, Stade, Lesinter and the swashbuckling Treviso probably gives the neutral the most attractive group ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

In fairness the new seeding makes the pools far more interesting. Clermont, Toulon, Leinster and Wasps would be fun... Equally Munster, Toulon, Leicester and Bordeaux.

I think Treviso and Oyonnax (after losing their head coach and star 10 who kicked them to victory so much will be fighting for survival) will be the two east teams.

In fairness the new seeding makes the pools far more interesting. Clermont, Toulon, Leinster and Wasps would be fun... Equally Munster, Toulon, Leicester and Bordeaux.

I think Treviso and Oyonnax (after losing their head coach and star 10 who kicked them to victory so much will be fighting for survival) will be the two east teams.

Can't have that Clermont, Toulon, Leinster, Wasps pool. If a French team is picked from 1st seed and a Pro12 from 3rd seed then an Emglish club needs to be the 2nd seed. So we could see Saracens, Toulon, Leinster, Wasps for example. Or Clermont, Northampton, Leinster, Wasps.

Bath, Toulon, Leinster and Bordeaux would work for me.

Swap out Toulon for Toulouse and that would actually be a great list of away trips!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Munster, Toulouse, Leicester and Bordeaux would sort a nice few "business" trips for me tyvm!

Can't have that Clermont, Toulon, Leinster, Wasps pool. If a French team is picked from 1st seed and a Pro12 from 3rd seed then an Emglish club needs to be the 2nd seed. So we could see Saracens, Toulon, Leinster, Wasps for example. Or Clermont, Northampton, Leinster, Wasps.

Basically the only Pro12 sides the Irish provinces can draw, regardless of tiers they end up in, are Scarlets and Treviso from Tier 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Swap out Toulon for Toulouse and that would actually be a great list of away trips!

Delicious! I'd need to start saving now!

• Advertisement

vienne86 wrote: »
    Delicious! I'd need to start saving now!

I'd need a lotto win tbh! I've been to Bordeaux but still haven't made it to Bath or Toulouse despite the various opportunities over the years. That said all I saw of Bordeaux was the Connemara pub and the stadium....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I now hope that Munster are the losing second place team and end up as second seed :-)

If SF win this weekend then being a tier 2 team would mean avoiding Toulon and Clermont as well as possibly Toulon/Leicester

It would certainly be worth being in tier 2 in those circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Leinster face the problem Munster faced last year by being in Tier 3

They are likely to end up in the group of death!!;)

Sarries and Toulon anyone?

Tier 1:
    Stade Francais + Glasgow Warriors + Saracens + two of Clermont/Munster/Bath

Tier 2:
    One of Clermont/Munster/Bath + Toulon + Ospreys + Northampton + one of Toulouse/Leicester/Ulster (same league as losing finalist in Tier 2)

Tier 3:
    Two of Toulouse/Leicester/Ulster + Racing Metro + Leinster + Exeter Chiefs

Tier 4:
    Oyonnax + Scarlets + Treviso + Wasps + Bordeaux Begles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Could leinster get Toulon Saracens and wasps?

Could leinster get Toulon Saracens and wasps?

Yes

Wasps have to be drawn with another English club. Bordeaux Begles and Oyonnax have to draw another French.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Yes

Wasps have to be drawn with another English club. Bordeaux Begles and Oyonnax have to draw another French.

That group would be worth a sky subscription

And be completely mental

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

So we could see Saracens, Toulon, Leinster, Wasps for example. Or Clermont, Northampton, Leinster, Wasps.

No. Thank you, but no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

That group would be worth a sky subscription

Could be shown on BT sports instead.

• Advertisement

Could be shown on BT sports instead.

Ah well the pub it is lol

Advertisement