Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015/16 EPCR draw, Wednesday 17 June 1:15pm Irish time

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

HOT BALLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Riskymove wrote: »
    Until recently the pro12 gave home advantage to top seeds right to the final and both Munster and Leinster have benefitted

There is no luck of the draw involved there though. Everyone plays the same teams over the course of the season so the best team finishes top.
    In this tournament, your finishing position in the pools is massively dependent on being plucked out of a hat at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Home advantage is huge in these knockout competitions. Historically the draw has had too much influence and it's based on nothing but a coin flip.

This change means that where possible noone will have both games at home. And where unavoidable it becomes at leat meritocratic rather than based on the luck of a draw.

of course home advantage is a big issue and for the QF remains a seeded approach (i.e. meritocratic as you say)

However, then this meritocratic approach is to be turned on its head to a degree in some attempt to share home advantage around

You are telling two teams that got there on merit, they will be excluded from a home semi. It is possible that a team could come 3rd or 4th every year and never have even a chance at a home semi

I think that that is fair less fair than an open draw

There is no luck of the draw involved there though. Everyone plays the same teams over the course of the season so the best team finishes top.
    In this tournament, your finishing position in the pools is massively dependent on being plucked out of a hat at the right time.

on that basis we should just have an open draw QF and SF

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What exactly is wrong with that? :confused:

Surely the most unbiased and fairest way to allocate a fixture venue is random?

That would be the most unbiased and fairest way to ensure the venue is random. But that's not the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

on that basis we should just have an open draw QF and SF

Yeah, you could do that, but then the 3 teams that finish as runners-up would have the same shot at a home QF as the teams that finished above them in their respective pools, and that's not really fair either - two teams get the same draw, and the guy who finishes second gets the home QF? No.

Honestly, this is a very good system and a fair amount of thought has gone into it I'd say, I think it's a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Irish teams have also benefitted from home QF/SF routes to success in the European Cup.....I remember little criticism of that

Well... Leinster got what three home finals and managed to lose two of them. Remember one of the home finals we won was actually against Ulster who were meant to be home.

Yeah, you could do that, but then the 3 teams that finish as runners-up would have the same shot at a home QF as the teams that finished above them in their respective pools, and that's not really fair either - two teams get the same draw, and the guy who finishes second gets the home QF? No.

so basically it seems that it's fine to get a home QF on merit but then, where possible, you should be penalized for your merit and get an away SF

??? this is the basic contradictory point I don't get

The 3 runners-up have more chance of a home semi than the group winners

errlloyd wrote: »
    Well... Leinster got what three home finals and managed to lose two of them. Remember one of the home finals we won was actually against Ulster who were meant to be home.

my point is that no one complained about them having home QF and SFs as being unfair and that a system should be brought in to stop it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Turkish airlines announced as a 3 year sponsor.

First time the company has come into rugby. Very good sponsor to have along with Heineken. Two more sponsors are hoped to join them. Things looking up for the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

yeah I think the way the new tournament was created got alot of peoples backs up so they ignored any possible good ideas that were in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

my point is that no one complained about them having home QF and SFs as being unfair and that a system should be brought in to stop it

They did. This has been something they've been considering for a while, it just doesn't get picked up because there's been so much going on. Pretty sure Paul McNaughton spoke about it however in an interview a while back.

Advertisement