Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society - The Royal Curragh, 27th June 10AM

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Lads another fine day out, it must be said the organisation that goes into these days is ridiculous. I think we all owe it to each other to drop a text/pm if you can't make it.

Thanks to Hole in One and Tony O Reilly for an enjoyable day on the golf course.

I must say it was looking to be like Hole In Ones day after a 22 point front 9 which could have been better. Think the putting let us both down(especially us both having a 4 putt on that par3 across the road....)

Tony had a strategy like Tiger at Hoylake in 2006, 4 iron from the tee all day long... Unfortunately didn't kick in until the back 9 but he has to be forgiven for having too much of a party in Portugal last week! The game is in there as shown by a beautiful birdie on the 3rd I think?

My own game was this and that, unlucky with some drives and some terrible putting but happy to break 30 considering the lack of golf. Mrs was delighted with the Colour Catchers, cheers Hole in One....

Must say lads, I am really looking forward to Captains!! Bring your drinking boots as you'll need them in the real capital!! ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

A great day myself. Despite my measly score of 33 points, I was pretty happy. I lost it on the greens. On top of missing 9 very makable putts, I had 5 three putts, so all I need to do is get the short stick working again. It's killing me lately as without blowing my own trumpet, I am hitting the new clubs as well as I have ever hit the ball. Even JP borrowed them the other day and wants a set of them!

I have made a startling discovery in the last week boys and girls. I found a half decent pinnacle last Saturday, used it for a few holes, got on ok. 3 more full rounds of good golf (except for the putting) since then with it. I can't loose the bugger, I even played Castleknock on Thursday where I always loose numerous balls! The only ball I gave lost was a brand new Nike yesterday which was a provisional! The golf has been good, so you don't need expensive new balls when you have a scruffy aul pinnacle!

Thanks to everyone for the support, it wouldn't be the same without you guys. Roll on Killeen!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Another great day out with the society and yet again, another days inconsistent golf.
    Went out yesterday quietly confident, spent a good bit of time on chipping practice lately and my driving is normally good. Had a game plan in my head.......that went out the window on the first hole!! My ball went so far left it nearly landed on the racecourse!! Hit a provo, in play, hit next shot and ball disappeared!! Wasn't much better on next hole, then settled a bit, the bad then myself and seve went on a run of pars for about 5/6 holes. Finished strong enough thankfully but still struggling a bit with distances with new irons. I think whats wrong isI look forward to playing too much and then when the day comes and it doesn't go to plan my head drops. Got really frustrated there for a while yesterday.
    Anyway 34 points doesn't reflect my terrible round, getting pars on low index holes while scratching high indexes helped.
    Thanks to everyone for making it a great day out and on to Killeen we go.

Fix, ya still up for a practice round?!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭a post punk

Lads I'm the worst person for posting here but the only time I'm on the laptop is ordering from sports direct etc etc..... I had a great days golf with pistolpete ( who was in the winners circle until the last 2 holes) and 3 putt .... Sound lads! I had my own best score on a boards outing in 4 years .... It's been a long road! Ha ha. I'm Going to miss the next outing due to holidays but looking forward to the outing in fota and welcoming Everyone to the rebel county! Thanks to all the committee and captain for a very enjoyable year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Another success for the organising team. Getting the course and the weather all good for the day.http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/wink.png

Must of been a headache to manage no shows, especially with mobile phones, everyone is contactable. ( for the future maybe post a mobile number, or the club phone no we are playing, if you are unexpectedly unable to make it, which can happen, especially with kids.)

As regards playing, I blanked one hole, but over all played well. Long putts were my Achilles heel, 3 putting.
    Playing partners, Princess Poppy - a real princess. We thought she had it in the bag after the first 7/8 holes. Smooth easy swing hitting the ball outside us http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon6.png. One to watch for the future.
    Kieran from Monaghan, unfortunately only started to fire on the back 9. Lovely guy. Good company makes good craic and a great day. Winning or losing is not going to effect my mortgage, but the good company is the reason I do the high mileage. Thanks to Seve for the new timetables, there real success.
    My congrats to tiger a real gent and a popular winner. Enjoyed the chat afterwards. Hearing fellas saying " I get to play about 3 times a week - you need that to improve" http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.png.http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/icons/icon10.png I'm lucky to play once a week, weather dependent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Enjoyable day yesterday with Fdp & champ.
    Some great golf played by Pat, and Richie should change his name to Bubba !
    Not a great day for me, a shank on the first hole got me off to a bad start. However a birdie on six was a little highlight followed by a good par on 17. Putting wasn't great yesterday few too many pushes.

My apologies for not going in for a drink and but had to be somewhere for 4pm, just about made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tigerwood1

Stewart's enquiry Stewart's enquiry hold all bets:eek:. After the bulmers effect had worn off today i was doing my usual review in my head of yesterdays round and have came to the conclusion that i only had 41pts which would make me level with pete and not 42pts as seve added up to in the clubhouse. So obviously the card had a extra par in there somewhere and i take full reponsibility for this as i had two chances to check the card and for some reason did,nt, :o. Therefore i will put myself at the mercy of captains decision and will accept whatever conclusion is drawn.

2 pars 3pts
    1 birdie 4pts
    3 double shot bogies 9pts
    1 scratch
    11 bogies 22pts
    Total 41pts
    front nine 21pts
    back nine 20pts
    last six 16pts
    will pm seve with full card.

Ps you will have to prize that rory ball out my cold stiff hand:)

Tiger, I like your honesty. It's a great game for that isn't it, not like them cheating football falling ove cause someone blew in their general direction.

However it was someone else who checked the cards, I won't say who!:confused:

I went through them all last night and yes indeed, you only had 41 points but you did still come out winner on a countback. I'll post the results later on when I get back on computer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Fair play to you tiger. Great honesty!! glad you get to keep rory's ball i know you've wanted to hold one of his balls for a long time :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Seve OB wrote: »
    Tiger, I like your honesty. It's a great game for that isn't it, not like them cheating football falling ove cause someone blew in their general direction.

However it was someone else who checked the cards, I won't say who!:confused:

I went through them all last night and yes indeed, you only had 41 points but you did still come out winner on a countback. I'll post the results later on when I get back on computer

Thank Feck. :eek::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Great day out and great company going around with pistolpete and a post punk. Pistolpete is very unlucky not to get the win, some great golf he played out there and only for an unfortunate mishap on a tap in he would have won. Played well myself but 2 scratches on the card done it for me. Both holes ended in over the fences with the sheep. Well done tiger on the win and for the honesty when you realised your score was wrong. Sorry Fixde. 3 times in a row now I've beaten you on count back. :) thanks to seve and the committee for another well run event. See you all now in killeen.

Think I might have to edit some posts, imagine someone put tiger and Rory into Google and they came across a thread where Tiger said he eventually got his hands on Rorys balls?!!!! Hahaha we'd get some response!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

Had the pleasure of starting the round with Buddy Holly and finishing with Tiger & ballyk. Well done Tiger, popular win. Very steady golf with very few mistakes.
    I played to my handicap but came last out of the four of us. Managed to bag the longest drive, best one I hit for a while (sorry Golfgraffix, pipped you by about 10 yards).

Enjoyed the course, short but fun, definitely a course you need a bit of local knowledge on. Don't think we'll be hitting regulation wedges in to greens at Killeen

Thanks to the captain and committee for another great outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ballyk

That's two outings in a row now where I've been in the same group as the winner - only two more required to equal seveob's record! I might have to place a bet on one of my playing partners next time! :D

Congrats to tiger on a deserved win. He hit a class approach shot in to the 14th or 15th to leave a tap in birdie which was crucial. My own play was a game of two halves, 15 points on the front 9 but came home with 23! I birdied the index 2 which was the highlight for me. It was my first time playing the course and really enjoyed it. Tiger and I joined up with buddy holly and double cross who took home the longest drive (he somehow managed to defy gravity by stopping the ball on a big downslope which cost him another 20 yards!) :eek:

Thanks to seveob and all the committee for their superb organisation as usual and roll on Killeen Castle!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭tigerwood1

Phew:cool:. Winner alright Winner alright SP 20/1, 25/1,12/1, 6/4 fav:). Great thks seve roll on kileen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Well done on the win tiger. :)

Thanks bobster and spacecoyote for having me on their walk!

Still way too annoyed with how I played and the rest :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Went out in the first group with the two Kierans and it was an enjoyable round as it always is at boards outings. After a very dodgy start - double, par,double,double, I was standing on the 5th tee with only 4 points on the card. But settled down nicely after that and ended up with 35 points. Lots to be pleased about, especially the 2 on the nearest pin par 3 which netted me a few quid! As I had to leave early, sorry folks don't normally do that...., I don't know what the 2 got, if I won nearest pin (probably not).

1 birdie
    6 pars
    7 bogies
    4 doubles

Hit some lovely shots along the way, the highlight was probably a 7-iron over trees on 17 to about 4 feet. Unfortunately missed the putt!

I'll miss the next one as I'll be sunning myself in Portugal, till next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Macker1

Any chance of the results and updated Table?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just as a matter of interest, what was the lowest shots total?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Macker1 wrote: »
    Any chance of the results and updated Table?

Sorry, been mad busy. promise i'll get it done up today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Just as a matter of interest, what was the lowest shots total?

Did fixde put you up to this?? Haha

shaunac93 wrote: »

:D
    no I'm not that bad. Joking most the time.

Doesn't count without Rikand there.

shaunac93 wrote: »

Haha, nope he didn't, :)

Just wondering if anyone broke 80?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I had a gross 71................when you take out my 3 scratches!!!:P:D

Was it par 72 ?

I was 5 over . Had a great chance of a very good round. But started putting poor on last few holes.

Not sure if lowest.

Was it par 72 ?

I was 5 over . Had a great chance of a very good round. But started putting poor on last few holes.

Not sure if lowest.

Yupp Par 72, great score Fixde.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Was it par 72 ?

Not sure if lowest.

Yeh good score that should have been better !
    Shot 84 myself playing muck

Was it par 72 ?

Not sure if lowest.

Yep doubt anyone got lower than 77.

Unofficial stroke play winner.

Congratulations :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Bit late.. but really enjoyed my day out with macker and shauna who both had a good game. Had her putting not been off Shanua would have been on for a nice score for sure.

I had a couple of individual one off nice shots but my snap hook showed it's face destroying any chances of scoring. Lucky I brought plenty of galf balls.

Ultimately I finished with a disappointing 27points and as many scratches as a blind zookeeper working the puma cage. My positive takeaway is that my putting felt improved on where it normally is (dreadful!) and if I can lose the snap hook and bring some half decent putting to the next outing then I may have another big score in me to equal my good showing at Naas earlier in the year.

• Advertisement

Results in - :P:P:P:P:D

Joking - your up to your eyes, but sure imagination has got the better of me.

[IMG][/img]e9x6qp.jpg

Advertisement