Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish language is failing.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Hang on, you blast your way in here just to shout from the rooftops that you have no culture other than the Irish language?
    Am I supposed to be jealous or something?

Am I not allowed post here just because you might not agree with me? That's a pity. Also quote where I have no other culture than the Irish language and that you should be jealous.

Hostility isn't needed towards my post, I am not directing any towards you. Can we have a proper discussion?

You might explain why we should learn Irish when it isn't the indigenous language of Ireland, it having replace some unknown Mesolithic tongue? You do know the Celts are, to borrow the word, Sassenachs themselves?

I will no bother!

But I won't do you the inconvience of explaing my posts before you explain your bold statements.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Go ahead and actually read my posts.
    The highest daily speaker there is just over in very localised parishes. Less than 0.0001% in the whole of the UK. In Ireland some parishes have upwards of 70% spekaing Irish in some communities
    Interesting how you whine about not considering the usage of Cornish in the entirety of the UK... and then insist on giving us stats for Irish usage in individual parishes!
    It's about 1% main language nationally at most, and this percentage is falling.

Interesting how you whine about not considering the usage of Cornish in the entirety of the UK... and then insist on giving us stats for Irish usage in individual parishes!
    It's about 1% main language nationally at most, and this percentage is falling.

What?
    I was simply replying to you, I'm not insisting on anything!

Am I not allowed post here just because you might not agree with me? That's a pity. Also quote where I have no other culture than the Irish language and that you should be jealous.

Hostility isn't needed towards my post, I am not directing any towards you. Can we have a proper discussion?
    Easy. Well you claimed this country would have no culture if we lost Irish.
    Read the first 3 pages of the fourm and I'm disgusted. -"Let it die". Why? Do we want to become an uncultured country to the extent that jts just a place where people lives out their lives until death?
    Some "clarification" will no doubt ensue...

• Advertisement

What?
    I was simply replying to you, I'm not insisting on anything!
    You insisted we use national percentages for Cornish. But then quoted local percentages for Irish.
    Why did you do this could you tell us?

I will no bother!

But I won't do you the inconvience of explaing my posts before you explain your bold statements.
    You could just, you know, answer the question? You do know there were people here before the Celts and therefore Irish isn't this islands original language or culture at all?

You insisted we use national percentages for Cornish. But then quoted local percentages for Irish.
    Why did you do this could you tell us?

In my OP I used the parish percentages for Cornish. You knowingly came along and posted that Irish is the same, but you knew it wasn't.

I'm finished, this is not worth arguing with you, you have accused me of how many things and changed the meaning of what I have said how many times?

Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

So what if they re-enact Shakespeare? Did you just invent the impression that I think that's a good way to learn English? At least it's in some way connected to something useful in life (modern English) I guess.
    So there's no connection between an aspect of Irish heritage from 150 years ago with an aspect of Irish heritage from the middle ages? You sure about that? I wonder what language they spoke in Ireland in the middle ages?
    "your rambling" indeed.

Where on earth did I make a connected between learning English and Shakesp-- never mind I'm wasting my time. :rolleyes: You kept using the word 're-enact' over and over like it was a bad thing. I showed a positive example.

Your having a fictional arguement with people here (well really yourself) as your reinterpreting everyone's post to make ludicrous responses. Your style of discussion is really insufferable.

We can learn modern Irish and maybe even strengthen it in areas where it's loosing ground, without promoting medieval laws. We could develop an interest in ancient literature without adopting their values and customs. Yet you act like it's some sort of hypocrisy to do so??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If your attitude is that we are forced to learn Irish, I take it your parents were forced too. Hence the negativity towards it continues... Remember what I said earlier about taking responsibility to break the cycle?

Remember,at one stage we were forced to NOT to speak it and this is one of the reasons I believe it will never truly die, as true Irishmen will not let this happen. The survival of our heritage and culture is surely enough of an objective?

Hence the argument put forward by myself and others that "the force feeding" is killing the Irish language. Ergo, remove the mandatory teaching of Irish for a time, and see how the language finds its natural level in society/education! Students who have a genuine graw for Irish will be attracted to it, and study it in a more positive manner with positive feedback to their peers.

IMO this is the only initiative that has not been tried to stabilise Irish since its introduction in the school curriculum in the 1930s, while simultaneously taking the negative connotation away from it (No compulsory Irish in school) may equal this ancient language to be seen in a more positive light.

• Advertisement

Your having a fictional arguement with people here (well really yourself) as your reinterpreting everyone's post to make ludicrous responses. Your style of discussion is really insufferable.
    That's what people say when they're losing an argument badly though isn't it. Maybe if you had a leg to stand on you wouldn't feel so frustrated?
    We can learn modern Irish and maybe even strengthen it in areas where it's loosing ground, without promoting medieval laws. We could develop an interest in ancient literature without adopting their values and customs. Yet you act like it's some sort of hypocrisy to do so??
    But you've just avoided the question again. Why can't we just learn about Irish instead of learning it, as we do with other parts of Irish heritage/culture?

Maybe if you had a leg to stand on you wouldn't feel so frustrated?

So our opinions don't have any legs to stand on? Patronizing arguments on your behalf aren't legs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dughorm

Why can't we just learn about Irish instead of learning it, as we do with other parts of Irish heritage/culture?

How would this work?

Teacher: Class, now we're not going to learn Amhrán na bhFiann - if I forced you to learn it you would only grow to resent it - so let's just learn "about" it instead!

Why would the pro-Irish side want to bring up Sorbian in Germany if it isn't relevant then I wonder... ;)

Was it not you or one of your kin who brought this up originally? I simply replied to the point.

And education systems are unique to each country's particular influencing factors so it's a bit of a nonsense to try to "import" another country's approach as the "correct" approach.

Nobody needs Irish to live here. That's totally imaginary.

Who said anyone exclusive needs Irish to live here?

Dughorm wrote: »
    How would this work?

Teacher: Class, now we're not going to learn Amhrán na bhFiann - if I forced you to learn it you would only grow to resent it - so let's just learn "about" it instead!
    Are you now saying that anyone who can sing Amhran na bhFiann is a fluent Irish speaker or that it takes 14 years of mandatory Irish to learn it?
    Most of the Irish soccer team can sing it. I guess they're all fluent Irish speakers then huh?

Who said anyone exclusive needs Irish to live here?
    Nobody did. Including me.
    Well done on pretending I said something again though.
    The three R's in our national languages are compulsory - it represents the government's commitment to being able living here through the medium of both our national languages - Irish or English.
    Here's you saying you need BOTH languages to "being able living here" (sic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Yet none of these argue against the point of the Irish culture. Those languages are a result of immigration. Irish is a whole different story.

I hate to break it to you but humans aren't native to Ireland. I think I read somewhere that the Irish language originated in Britain but then a lot of stuff they say about something that long ago is pure speculation.

psinno wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you but humans aren't native to Ireland. I think I read somewhere that the Irish language originated in Britain but then a lot of stuff they say about something that long ago is pure speculation.
    And there was me thinking Irish was an Indo-European language... did Finn McCool sit down one day and make it up over some smoked salmon sandwiches or what?

Are you now saying that anyone who can sing Amhran na bhFiann is a fluent Irish speaker or that it takes 14 years of mandatory Irish to learn it?

No... are you?
    Most of the Irish soccer team can sing it. I guess they're all fluent Irish speakers then huh?

Are they? I would be delighted if they were. How cool would that be.

• Advertisement

Nobody did. Including me.

Good - I'm glad we've that cleared up.
    Here's you saying you need BOTH languages to "being able living here" (sic).

Where did I say "need"?

I was talking about the government's commitment in that sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

You might explain why we should learn Irish when it isn't the indigenous language of Ireland, it having replace some unknown Mesolithic tongue? You do know the Celts are, to borrow the word, Sassenachs themselves?

A Sassanach literally means a Saxon. The Celts weren't Saxons. Some of our earliest natives certainly came from Britain but also what is now North Western France, Northern Spain etc...

There's no evidence however of a mass Celtic invasion of Ireland, only evidence of their culture spreading. It's actually a mystery as to how the Celtic culture came to dominate here.

It doesn't matter if they weren't the first people, we know nothing of these people's language to teach in the first place.
    Why can't we just learn about Irish instead of learning it, as we do with other parts of Irish heritage/culture?

I attempted to answer that with the Shakespeare analogy -- would you be content with only learning the cliff notes to Shakespeare?? And never read the play at all?

First hand experience is generally better than second hand accounts about something. An interest in Irish could be primed by learning about the language, yes but why not teach the language itself directly? You can't directly experience Irish history without a time machine but you can experience a language first hand.

I think bilingualism should be the goal of the Irish language movement. Kids who are bilingual experience a massive boost in learning another language in study after study. It doesn't necessarily matter what that language is in theory but in practicality we have a lot more Irish teachers here already rather than importing other teachers.

English speaking countries fail pretty badly at bilingualism being at the top of the language food chain -- it's difficult to motivate students to learn another language. A sense of culture could cultivate an interest in learning Irish but that's far less likely to happen with Spanish or Chinese.

I should mention I'm in favour of making it optional for Leaving Cert.

No... are you?
    Well since you are equating learning Amrhan na bhFiann (a part of Irish culture) with learning how to speak Irish (a part of Irish culture) then yes, you very much are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

So what if they re-enact Shakespeare? Did you just invent the impression that I think that's a good way to learn English? At least it's in some way connected to something useful in life (modern English) I guess.
    So there's no connection between an aspect of Irish heritage from 150 years ago with an aspect of Irish heritage from the middle ages? You sure about that? I wonder what language they spoke in Ireland in the middle ages?
    "your rambling" indeed.

The Latin speaking Romans were into all kinds of savagery, brutal games etc.. Today the Italians, speaking a colloquial, bastardised Latn, now called Italian, bear responsibility for everything Roman. Yes?

It doesn't matter if they weren't the first people, we know nothing of these people's language to teach in the first place.
    So your attitude appears to be that we must learn the language of our heritage... but since we don't know what this was we'll learn another later language instead? French, English and Polish came later too. Why not learn them?
    What about what we do know of Irish Mesolithic culture? This is our heritage, should we all live in crannogs and sit on the beach all day eating shellfish?

feargale wrote: »
    The Latin speaking Romans were into all kinds of savagery, brutal ganes etc.. Today the Italians, speaking a colloquial, bastardised Latn, now called Italian, bear responsibility for everything Roman. Yes?
    What are you on about? It's the pro-Irish guys trying to make out we have some inextricable link with millennia old national history, not me. If you find your Roman to Italian thing ridiculous then it's your own side's idea.

I think bilingualism should be the goal of the Irish language movement. Kids who are bilingual experience a massive boost in learning another language in study after study.
    Then why don't they just learn language X first instead of Irish to "help" them learn language X?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Shep_Dog

Do we want to become an uncultured country to the extent that jts just a place where people lives out their lives until death?

We don't need to speak Irish to have a culture.

We already have a culture.

Culture is defined by the people, not by a self-appointed group of cultural commisars.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gael Mire

BoatMad wrote: »
    It would return primary schooling to the pre 1922 stage.

What a vision for the future. Yeah, what the Irish Language really needs is to be dealt with as it was under the British Empire.

(That was sarcasm in case you missed it ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gael Mire

You might explain why we should learn Irish when it isn't the indigenous language of Ireland

You will need to get yourself back to playschool and get yourself an education. Irish not indigenous to Ireland? Come on, did you type that with a straight face? :D

Of all the nonsense you have come out with on this thread, that is right up there with the best.

Advertisement