Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ah, Kildare, home of the Lunster.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »
    This country went into meltdown when BOD didn't get it that year after the 6N, HEC and the Lions tour.

Ah. Got it. I vaguely remember that furore. Even though the B&I Lions lost the 2 matches he was in and club games don't count. Richie won it I think? And he was injured the first half of the year (right?).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Ah. Got it. I vaguely remember that furore. Even though the B&I Lions lost the 2 matches he was in and club games don't count. Richie won it I think? And he was injured the first half of the year (right?).

Bingo. Yeah, it's based only on international games but I don't think people widely knew that at the time and it fed into the outrage. Despite the Lions losses, BOD was bloody good in those games. He led the fightback in the first test and made the first two tries.

Despite McCaw missing the first half of the season, that was only the Super Rugby season. He played in the entire 3N campaign and was bloody good. But in the understated, best player of all time doing his thing, sort of way, rather than eye catching, awe inspiring showings.

FdP is the bloke who should have been outraged, to my mind. He was simply a cut above in all his international tests.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

.ak wrote: »
    What's up with hougard?

He's absolute ****house?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »
    Bingo. Yeah, it's based only on international games but I don't think people widely knew that at the time and it fed into the outrage. Despite the Lions losses, BOD was bloody good in those games. He led the fightback in the first test and made the first two tries.

Despite McCaw missing the first half of the season, that was only the Super Rugby season. He played in the entire 3N campaign and was bloody good. But in the understated, best player of all time doing his thing, sort of way, rather than eye catching, awe inspiring showings.

FdP is the bloke who should have been outraged, to my mind. He was simply a cut above in all his international tests.

Mate. I'm a kiwi and I remember being stunned/surprised/shocked that FdP didn't get it. He owned every game he was in. Ridiculously good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,015 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

2007- England done terrible in the six nations and lost there world cup group game vs south africa and still made the final.

2011- France who had a bad six nations and lost 2 world cup group games (new zealand and tonga) and made the final only losing by 1 point. they were probly shocked they made the final.

so really anything can happen in the world cup this year. it could be a scotland vs New Zealand final

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

What possible upsets do you think there could be in the World Cup? e.g. does anyone think that the USA could put one over Scotland or Fiji beat Wales?

Coburger wrote: »
    What possible upsets do you think there could be in the World Cup? e.g. does anyone think that the USA could put one over Scotland or Fiji beat Wales?

Hmm potential upsets is a good one.

Samoa or USA could topple Scotland.
    Italy could topple France or Ireland
    Fiji beating any of Wales Australia England
    Scotland beating South Africa
    Argentina beating the All Blacks

USA v Samoa looks like it could be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Hmm potential upsets is a good one.

Samoa or USA could topple Scotland.
    Italy could topple France or Ireland
    Fiji beating any of Wales Scotland England
    Scotland beating South Africa
    Argentina beating the All Blacks

USA v Samoa looks like it could be a good game.

Eh....Fiji can only meet Scotland in the quarter finals. That would also mean 2 of England, Wales and Australia don't get through to quarters...
    Italy haven't got a 10.
    Argentina beating All blacks...have you been to bed yet?!

In fairness I suspect this South Africa team might be one of the weakest in their history with a semi-sane coach. So maybe Scotland for the upset.
    USA I know nothing about apart from them dominating the bragging rights over their neighbours, Canada...which ain't saying much.

I think a realistic chance of an upset (is that an oximoron?) lies with Fiji. Not that I think that they will beat any of England, Wales or Australia, but might have a say in who gets bonus points or not.

They may also be responsible for injuring an important player or 2 on their way. (Not maliciously)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you were to go by the initial draw and the world rankings at the time, scotland beating samoa would have been an upset.
    Scotland were ranked 12th and samoa 7th. Currently Scotland are 10th and samoa are 12th though.
    Scotland to beat SA is probably the most likely of the 'BIG' upsets.

Italy shouldn't bother Ireland or France too much as i think they've one of the weakest squads they've ever brought to a wc. So id imagine they'll finish firmly in third position.

Nz and Argentina should come through their group without too much fear.
    Fiji holding any one of the bigger three to four points well be their biggest achievement.

• Advertisement

kuang1 wrote: »
    Eh....Fiji can only meet Scotland in the quarter finals. That would also mean 2 of England, Wales and Australia don't get through to quarters...
    Italy haven't got a 10.
    Argentina beating All blacks...have you been to bed yet?!

In fairness I suspect this South Africa team might be one of the weakest in their history with a semi-sane coach. So maybe Scotland for the upset.
    USA I know nothing about apart from them dominating the bragging rights over their neighbours, Canada...which ain't saying much.

I think a realistic chance of an upset (is that an oximoron?) lies with Fiji. Not that I think that they will beat any of England, Wales or Australia, but might have a say in who gets bonus points or not.

They may also be responsible for injuring an important player or 2 on their way. (Not maliciously)

Sorry fixed, meant Aus.

As for the rest, not suggesting their likelyhood, just matches where there is at least some potential of an upset. Argentina are a different team in the WC and won't role over for NZ. I massively presume NZ will win but it's not impossible either.

Bit of fun for a Saturday morning in anycase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭kuang1

Sorry fixed, meant Aus.

As for the rest, not suggesting their likelyhood, just matches where there is at least some potential of an upset. Argentina are a different team in the WC and won't role over for NZ. I massively presume NZ will win but it's not impossible either.

Bit of fun for a Saturday morning in anycase.

Or perhaps England not qualifying from their group...would that be an upset?!
    Not a huge one afaic!!!

Or perhaps England not qualifying from their group...would that be an upset?!
    Not a huge one afaic!!!

If England failed to get out of their pool it would get more coverage than the eventual winners. It would be the talking point of the tournament until Ireland beat NZ in the final.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

England not coming out of their pool wouldn't be a huge surprise to me. One of the best teams in the world isn't going to come out of that pool, it's just a question of who. If it's England everyone will act like it's a massive surprise simply because they're the hosts.

Based on the squads and recent performances it's extremely hard to call. We haven't seen Wales properly since the 6 Nations, England weren't great in either of their matches with France, particularly the 2nd one. Australia didn't look all that impressive during the RC despite winning it. Last minute winner against South Africa, fine against Argentina, they did manage to beat NZ thanks mostly to their forwards and then were soundly thumped the following week. They've got massive problems with their 9/10 combination and with their goal kicking too. England don't appear to have any established partnerships in their backs either. Presuming all the Welsh lads get through the last warm ups I'd almost pick Wales to definitely come out, between England and Australia for the other place?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Fiji have been pretty poor in recent years, not least due to the situation in their country of course. I'd be very surprised if they do anything of note.

Fiji have been pretty poor in recent years, not least due to the situation in their country of course. I'd be very surprised if they do anything of note.

Preventing bonus points might be the best we can expect from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Witheringeye

One potential upset would be Italy beating France. Which could cost Ireland if we failed to defeat the French

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Barbarians team to play Samoa today:

15 Paul Williams (Stade Francais & Samoa)
    14 Taqele Naiyaravoro (Glasgow Warriors)
    13 Ben Tapuai (Western Force & Australia)
    12 Wynand Olivier (Montpellier & South Africa)
    11 Dwayne Sweeney (Munakata Sanix Blues)
    10 Christian Leali’ifano (Brumbies & Australia)
    9 Luke Burgess (Zebre & Australia)
    1 Benn Robinson (Waratahs & Australia)
    2 Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds & Australia)
    3 Carl Hayman (New Zealand)
    4 Bakkies Botha (South Africa, Captain)
    5 Luke Jones (Melbourne Rebels)
    6 Adam Thomson (Queensland Reds & New Zealand)
    7 Liam Gill (Queensland Reds & Australia)
    8 Pierre Spies (Blue Bulls & South Africa)
    Replacements (from):
    16 Tolu Latu (Waratahs)
    17 Joshua Hohneck (Highlanders)
    18 TBA
    19 Ali Williams (New Zealand)
    20 Jacques Potgieter (Munakata Sanix Blues & South Africa)
    21 Nic Groom (Stormers)
    22 Mike Harris (Melbourne Rebels & Australia)
    23 Tom English (Melbourne Rebels)

That's a decent team all things considered. Live on ITV4.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

What time is that game at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

What time is that game at?

3.15 so not ideal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

One potential upset would be Italy beating France. Which could cost Ireland if we failed to defeat the French

Still possible to win the group if ireland beat italy lost to france and france lost to italy.

I was thinking, could you imagine if the Argies upset the all blacks in their group:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

3.15 so not ideal

On tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Something involving Scotland is the most likely upset to me. Either Samoa, who as noted are definitely capable of being a much better team than the Scots, or the Scots beating South Africa, who seem quite erratic and uncomfortable away from home. Would definitely throw a cat among the pigeons that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd say there's a possibility of Samoa beating SA.

It'll be a grudge match after what happened in RWC11 with Brussow taking a dive to get one of their lads sent off.

Scotland pretty soundly disposed of Italy this afternoon. 48-7 was the final score. Samoa lost 27-24 to the BaaBaas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

They just won the Pacific Nations Cup for the third time in a row and they've managed to get a lot of their best players released for the WC so they could be pretty decent.
    Scotland pretty soundly disposed of Italy this afternoon. 48-7 was the final score. Samoa lost 27-24 to the BaaBaas.

Italy were an absolute shambles. Samoa did well considering they had a lad red carded after 20 minutes!

Ceadog wrote: »
    Italy were an absolute shambles. Samoa did well considering they had a lad red carded after 20 minutes!

Hard to tell anything from a BaaBaas match, it's so open and free flowing but Samoa can definitely tackle, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Hard to tell anything from a BaaBaas match, it's so open and free flowing but Samoa can definitely tackle, that's for sure.

watching it on itv4 now. its a poor warm up game for samoa to arrange because the WC games will be far less open.

Canada beat Glasgow today in a warm up match, 19-12. Didn't get a look at the sides but I assume Glasgow are missing a fair few players due to WC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Canada beat Glasgow today in a warm up match, 19-12. Didn't get a look at the sides but I assume Glasgow are missing a fair few players due to WC.
    sides were
    http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/15/08/29/warriors-slip-canada-defeat
    Glasgow missing a good few but still had a fair number of senior guys

Advertisement