Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

Looks like peer pressure really does work with the Burgess selection, Christ during the French game the Sky Sports guys had a hard on and were pushing him on us like Coke at an Amy Winehouse funeral!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Would add Best and Henshaw to that list, and Toner, POM, Ross are not far off it.

Sorry but Henshaw is not in the conversation for world's best 12. Yet.

And Toner, while very good, wouldn't be in the top 5 locks in the world. Maybe top 10.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

And Toner, while very good, wouldn't be in the top 5 locks in the world. Maybe top 10.

Toner is a one trick Pony, purely there for his height in the lineout, he was like a headless chicken around the breakdown against Scotland.

Toner is a one trick Pony, purely there for his height in the lineout, he was like a headless chicken around the breakdown against Scotland.

This post says more about your perception of Toner and knowledge of the sport than it does about Toner's actual ability.

You won't find many better at disrupting a maul and creating problems for opposition lineout, he passes well off both sides and for a big guy he seems to have a great engine and work rate. He is an ideal balancing act for O'Connell actually and we're damn lucky to have him.

Breakdown merchant he is not, one trick pony he definitely isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I wouldn't go that far. That was my perception of him when he first started playing for Leinster but he has since developed into a very good international rugby player. He is currently the second best lock in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He is far from a one trick pony. His work rate is rather good. Defensive ability in mauls,
    He isn't there to dominate the breakdown. Id prefer Donncha Ryan ahead of him but he has to do a lot to get ahead of him considering how long he has been out and Toners good form with Ireland over past season or so

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looks like peer pressure really does work with the Burgess selection, Christ during the French game the Sky Sports guys had a hard on and were pushing him on us like Coke at an Amy Winehouse funeral!

People on twitter suggesting Burgess' inclusion in the squad was a done deal from the minute he switched codes. It does seem an odd situation, especially given he was apparently never even in consideration for England in the position he actually plays for Bath in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How didn't delon armitage even make the premlimary squad ??. He's one of the best players in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Yeah Henshaw has shown a limited skillset so far, due to the game plan he's playing to as much as anything. Defensively he is up there I reckon, but in general he has a good bit more to do to be labelled world class.

As for the Toner conversation I think he's one of those guys who people form an opinion on and then refuse to change it. The guy has developed his game a lot. His work rate is fantastic, his skills at maul and in the choke tackle are pretty obvious and he's got great hands too. All of this on top of his skills in the line-out and solidity in the scrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

News just in: 6'11" lock in not dominating breakdown shocker despite never having had an impact there in his life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

PTH2009 wrote: »
    How didn't delon armitage even make the premlimary squad ??. He's one of the best players in Europe

Parce qu'il joue en France.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

PTH2009 wrote: »

Delon isn't that's good.

Stefan, on the other hand, would be England's best back rower if he played 6, 7, or 8.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Delon isn't that's good.

Stefan, on the other hand, would be England's best back rower if he played 6, 7, or 8.

England would have beaten France at the weekend if Stefan was in the squad. He is by far and away the biggest loss to their team.

Followed by Manu Tuilagi. If both were available for selection I'd actually put England as favourites to top their group and there is not many times you could say that about the potential impact of two players.

This post says more about your perception of Toner and knowledge of the sport than it does about Toner's actual ability.

You won't find many better at disrupting a maul and creating problems for opposition lineout, he passes well off both sides and for a big guy he seems to have a great engine and work rate. He is an ideal balancing act for O'Connell actually and we're damn lucky to have him.

Breakdown merchant he is not, one trick pony he definitely isn't.

IMO as far as Ireland is concerned Toner is not a leader or a very inventive second row and really needs a lot of direction, persuasion and delegation, which is all fine and well as long as Paulie is his Partner in crime because there's no better man to give you all of those in one swift blow but when he's not partnered with Paulie he gets found out and he seems lost.

I reckon after this world cup and next year's six nations we will be seeing a lot less of Toner in the green.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Delon is a very good player and he offers long range goalkicking. His character though is another thing, in a highly charged international game I wouldn't trust him to not cheapshot someone (I believe he did it at the weekend against Racing and the victim Johan Goosen left the field with an injured shoulder).

If he wasn't a card/suspension waiting to happen he would still be playing in England IMO and would be in the England 31.

IMO as far as Ireland is concerned Toner is not a leader or a very inventive second row and really needs a lot of direction, persuasion and delegation, which is all fine and well as long as Paulie is his Partner in crime because there's no better man to give you all of those in one swift blow but when he's not partnered with Paulie he gets found out and he seems lost.

I reckon after this world cup and next year's six nations we will be seeing a lot less of Toner in the green.

I'm sorry, but this is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

IMO as far as Ireland is concerned Toner is not a leader or a very inventive second row and really needs a lot of direction, persuasion and delegation, which is all fine and well as long as Paulie is his Partner in crime

Like the opener of last season's 6N with POC absent when Toner ran the set piece which we dominated and Ireland hammered Scotland?

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is laughable.

I'm glad i brightened up your Thursday but this is the way i see it and only time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

MJohnston wrote: »
    #CarryThemHome is a perfectly terrible slogan

Marketing obviously werent told cipriani was being cut from the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Buer wrote: »
    Like the opener of last season's 6N with POC absent when Toner ran the set piece which we dominated and Ireland hammered Scotland?

Was that the time POC had man-flu :-SS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer wrote: »

I don't think you're going to get very far with this. Some people made up their mind about Toner a long time before they ever saw him play for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I don't think you're going to get very far with this. Some people made up their mind about Toner a long time before they ever saw him play for Ireland.

Yep. I have a mate, who'd be a casual fan, I meet up with him for Leinster or Ireland games, and whenever he hears Toner is playing he's all 'Ah not that lanky so and so' and before I can correct him he always goes, 'I know, I know! I know he's playing really well lately, but I just hate him. I can't help it, I think he's useless!'.

I find it hilarious, but some people just have it in for him and can't help it.

I'm glad i brightened up your Thursday but this is the way i see it and only time will tell.

Time has "told". You just missed it apparently.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,379 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

3 heineken cups
    1 challange cup
    2 6 nations
    2 celtic leagues

who is going to replace this 'directionless unimaginative' player.......

.ak wrote: »
    Yep. I have a mate, who'd be a casual fan, I meet up with him for Leinster or Ireland games, and whenever he hears Toner is playing he's all 'Ah not that lanky so and so' and before I can correct him he always goes, 'I know, I know! I know he's playing really well lately, but I just hate him. I can't help it, I think he's useless!'.

I find it hilarious, but some people just have it in for him and can't help it.

Ok my prediction is a long way off and a lot of people might not remember it come the South Africa tour next summer so I'll say this,
    O'Connell and Toner will not be our starting second Row when we face France in Cardiff.

Ok my prediction is a long way off and a lot of people might not remember it come the South Africa tour next summer so I'll say this,
    O'Connell and Toner will not be our starting second Row when we face France in Cardiff.

Why, what's going to happen to Paulie?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    3 heineken cups
    1 challange cup
    2 6 nations
    2 celtic leagues

who is going to replace this 'directionless unimaginative' player.......

And for Toner it's harder again than most. First off he has the most innocent looking head on him, you wouldn't know he played rugby at all and he stopped ageing facially at around 16.

Secondly, his name is Devon. I mean, he is named after a feckin custard. The guy does not come across as fearsome at all.

Until you try to get a maul passed him.

A lot of the begrudging he gets however are from people who simply want the guy on their team to start ahead of him, and you can't reason with that perspective.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Once Tuiliga was out Burgess was always going to be included. For all their finesse in the backs England need a plan B. I can kind of understand the decision but it's a bit of a hail Mary given the timing.

Happy for Slade, though it leaves them very short of experience should they need to play both of these again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

For all their finesse in the backs England need a plan B.

Think you might have gotten their plan A and plan B mixed up there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Burgess has won most fans over. He wasn't as badly exposed in defence as we worried, he wasn't as greedy as we worried, and can definitely worry people in attack. A fantastic 12? No, but nobody England has is. He is also learning very fast and brings a lot of leadership and experience to the team.

The most crucial thing about Burgess is just because he's going to the World Cup doesn't mean he'll be starting any important games. We can still gain the benefits of his character around the squad; we don't have to risk his frailities in big games; and if worse comes to worse, is he worse than Burrell or Twelvetrees? Arguments either way at worst. Internet rumour says Lancaster was favouring Burrell actually, and Farrell and Catt had to argue him into Burgess.

edit: p.s. Plan A is currently give it to Joseph.

Advertisement