Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC 2015 - build-up thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Burgess has won most fans over. He wasn't as badly exposed in defence as we worried, he wasn't as greedy as we worried, and can definitely worry people in attack. A fantastic 12? No, but nobody England has is. He is also learning very fast and brings a lot of leadership and experience to the team.

The most crucial thing about Burgess is just because he's going to the World Cup doesn't mean he'll be starting any important games. We can still gain the benefits of his character around the squad; we don't have to risk his frailities in big games; and if worse comes to worse, is he worse than Burrell or Twelvetrees? Arguments either way at worst. Internet rumour says Lancaster was favouring Burrell actually, and Farrell and Catt had to argue him into Burgess.

edit: p.s. Plan A is currently give it to Joseph.

Who is England's first choice 12/13 pairing at the moment.

Also, you're in the unfortunate position of not really having any non important games given the pool you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Who is England's first choice 12/13 pairing at the moment.

Also, you're in the unfortunate position of not really having any non important games given the pool you're in.

Barritt-Joseph presumably, although it's a wee bit awkward that they've never played together.

And a little. Although kinda fortunate in that we can use Fiji as a final warm-up, go all out for Australia and Wales, rest guys against Uruguay, hopefully not to have to exert ourselves too much for the quarter-final, then all out for the last two... hopefully. There's a lot to be said for tough games to keep yourselves warm.

If Fiji manage to kill Brown, Robshaw and Joseph, I did not write this post.

Barritt-Joseph presumably, although it's a wee bit awkward that they've never played together.

And a little. Although kinda fortunate in that we can use Fiji as a final warm-up, go all out for Australia and Wales, rest guys against Uruguay, hopefully not to have to exert ourselves too much for the quarter-final, then all out for the last two... hopefully. There's a lot to be said for tough games to keep yourselves warm.

If Fiji manage to kill Brown, Robshaw and Joseph, I did not write this post.

I would say England need to get the bonus point against Fiji to set them up for the Wales and Australia games. Not sure I'd treat it a another warm up game. Will be interesting to see how Lancaster approaches it.

I would say England need to get the bonus point against Fiji to set them up for the Wales and Australia games. Not sure I'd treat it a another warm up game. Will be interesting to see how Lancaster approaches it.

The last time we played Fiji (2012 or so) we stuck 7 tries on them with a not entirely full strength team. I know the PI teams generally kick up a gear come World Cup year when they've actually had time to practice, but its not unreasonable for Lancaster to target it as the final warm-up game and expect a bonus point; after all, the final warm-up game is when it's all meant to come together, right?

The last time we played Fiji (2012 or so) we stuck 7 tries on them with a not entirely full strength team. I know the PI teams generally kick up a gear come World Cup year when they've actually had time to practice, but its not unreasonable for Lancaster to target it as the final warm-up game and expect a bonus point; after all, the final warm-up game is when it's all meant to come together, right?

Well, there's two ways to go here.

1 - Start your strongest 15 and aim to get the bonus point wrapped up as quickly as possible then sub as many people as you can.

2 - Start a "weakened" team and hope they get the job done. Have your big guns ready to go on the bench in case the first 15 can't get the job done.

Both have risks, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

English Lurker, just as a matter of interest what's your opinion of the squad as a whole? Happy enough or would you have chosen differently?

Rumours on twitter that JDV is going to be named captain of the Springboks side due to be named tomorrow.

I'm a bit surprised if this is true. I expected him to make the squad but I didn't expect him to be a starter. Would you name someone captain if they weren't likely to be in your first choice starting 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Ceadog

Rumours on twitter that JDV is going to be named captain of the Springboks side due to be named tomorrow.

I'm a bit surprised if this is true. I expected him to make the squad but I didn't expect him to be a starter. Would you name someone captain if they weren't likely to be in your first choice starting 15?

Just like Johnson named Borthwick his captain when he was probably the fifth best lock available :p

Simple explanation is that Meyer is a bad coach.

English Lurker, just as a matter of interest what's your opinion of the squad as a whole? Happy enough or would you have chosen differently?

I could write a dissertation on everything I'd have done differently but, ultimately, I'm happy enough. It's about the strongest available; basically our 6N team with a few improvements.

Tbh, more I think about it, more I don't see the point of caring too much about squads, because mostly its arguing about who should play Uruguay. I mean, cool story right? Obviously injuries happen and what's not, but it's all really about who's in the 23 and execution.

I'd have liked Attwood and Cipriani as an option for the 23, and I'd like to know anyone but Alex Goode was going to be in the 23, but that's it really. I'm probably going to agree with the 23 bar backs subs, so... yeah, happy enough.

I could write a dissertation on everything I'd have done differently

Yeah, I'd be interested in this all the same so go ahead so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Anyone interested in a super bru predictor league for the RWC?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Springbok World Cup squad:

Forwards:

Hookers: Schalk Brits, Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss
    Props: Jannie du Plessis, Frans Malherbe, Tendai Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen
    Locks: Lood de Jager, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Victor Matfield (vc)
    Loose forwards: Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Duane Vermeulen

Backs:

Scrum-halves: Fourie du Preez, Rudy Paige, Ruan Pienaar
    Fly-halves: Pat Lambie, Handrè Pollard, Morné Steyn
    Centres: Jean de Villiers, Damian de Allende, Jesse Kriel
    Outside backs: Bryan Habana, Zane Kirchner, Willie le Roux, Lwazi Mvovo, JP Pietersen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Springbok World Cup squad:

Forwards:

Hookers: Schalk Brits, Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss
    Props: Jannie du Plessis, Frans Malherbe, Tendai Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Coenie Oosthuizen
    Locks: Lood de Jager, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Victor Matfield (vc)
    Loose forwards: Willem Alberts, Schalk Burger, Siya Kolisi, Francois Louw, Duane Vermeulen

Backs:

Scrum-halves: Fourie du Preez, Rudy Paige, Ruan Pienaar
    Fly-halves: Pat Lambie, Handrè Pollard, Morné Steyn
    Centres: Jean de Villiers, Damian de Allende, Jesse Kriel
    Outside backs: Bryan Habana, Zane Kirchner, Willie le Roux, Lwazi Mvovo, JP Pietersen

Coetzee is injured yeah?
    Is Reinach injured too?

Coetzee is injured yeah?
    Is Reinach injured too?

I think Reinach was dropped. Fit as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

When did Fourie du Preez last play at any sort of competitive level?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Ceadog wrote: »
    I think Reinach was dropped. Fit as far as I know.

Dropped for a quota player!

Coetzee is injured yeah?
    Is Reinach injured too?

Looks like Coetzee just didn't get picked.

Meyer is the new St. Andre.

When did Fourie du Preez last play at any sort of competitive level?

I thought he retired after the last WC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Ceadog wrote: »
    I thought he retired after the last WC!

Went to Japan for the pay day and has been dogged by injuries as well I think. It's a shame because he was a fantastic player but has never recaptured the form of 2009 when he probably should have been world player of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

What's up with hougard?

• Advertisement

Although I'm delighted for JDV that he's recovered to make the squad I still find it odd that he's captain. Is he going to play all the matches, or even start them all? Kriel and de Allende looked really good together during the RC, can't see how JDV fits in there. Which do you drop? Unless they're going to have a captain who is sitting on the bench for most of their important matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Went to Japan for the pay day and has been dogged by injuries as well I think. It's a shame because he was a fantastic player but has never recaptured the form of 2009 when he probably should have been world player of the year.

Ooooohhhh .....controversial on an Irish forum!

Although, I tend to agree, in fairness. Simply phenomenal year from him. He was someone who it didn't matter who played outhalf, he ran the show for a team that won the Tri-Nations (Steyn), RWC (James) and Lions tour (Pienaar) with different outhalves outside him; it didn't matter who played 10, they were just backing up his role as the director.

Romania named their squad yesterday too, if anyone's interested. I guess we should be given we play them. 16 of them are semi pro.

Romania 31-man World Cup squad:

Forwards: Ion Paulita, Mihaita Lazar, Andrei Ursache, Alexandru Tarus, Horatiu Pungea, Andrei Radoi, Otar Turashvili, Eugen Capatana, Valentin Popirlan, Johannes van Heerden, Marius Antonescu, Valentin Ursache, Mihai Macovei, Viorel Lucaci, Stelian Burcea, Ovidiu Tonita, Daniel Carpo.

Backs: Florin Surugiu, Valentin Calafeteanu, Tudorel Bratu, Danut Dumbrava, Michael Wiringi, Paula Kinikinilau, Florin Vlaicu, Csaba Gal, Adrian Apostol, Ionut Botezatu, Florin Ionita, Madalin Lemnaru, Catalin Fercu, Sabin Stratila.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Buer wrote: »
    Ooooohhhh .....controversial on an Irish forum!

Huh? Why?

Huh? Why?

There was a robbery in South Dublin at the time.

Huh? Why?

This country went into meltdown when BOD didn't get it that year after the 6N, HEC and the Lions tour.

There was a robbery in South Dublin at the time.

Shag off with your south Dublin and get your own!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shag off with your south Dublin and get your own!

Clontarf, Malahide and Howth are part of Northern South Dublin

Clontarf, Malahide and Howth are part of Northern South Dublin

I always thought you were a bogger?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I always thought you were a bogger?!

Yes, I'm from Kildare and this is how I ensure we keep our place as the 2nd biggest contributor to Leinster rugby.

Advertisement