Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Third World War on the cards.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

A.Einstein

Balls.

The war would continue, just both sides would know to disperse more so they don't present a tempting target. No one is going to waste a nuke on a few hundred soldiers. The whole going back to the stone age thing is fantastical thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Reiver wrote: »
    It was a little "local difficulty" in what we called the Polish Corridor that sparked off the largest war the world has ever seen.

And the Russians were involved in that as well helping out their buddies in divvying up Poland between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

It is long overdue alright. I don't know who's crazier the Americans or the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

reckon China and taiwan will be what starts WW3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

reckon China and taiwan will be what starts WW3

China's army is defensive in nature keeping the people in line. They don't really have the capacity to wage large scale war on the west without uniting their people against the west somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

China's army is defensive in nature keeping the people in line. They don't really have the capacity to wage large scale war on the west without uniting their people against the west somehow.

That's what they want you to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I hope it never happens, but I think WW3 will definitely happen within our lifetimes. This period of peace in Europe has been the longest ever, in history. Its just a matter of time, and with ISIS knocking at the neighbours door, and Russia knocking at ours, its as likely as ever.

And do you know what else? I wouldnt rule out a second civil war in Ireland either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,846 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

newmug wrote: »
    I hope it never happens, but I think WW3 will definitely happen within our lifetimes. This period of peace in Europe has been the longest ever, in history. Its just a matter of time, and with ISIS knocking at the neighbours door, and Russia knocking at ours, its as likely as ever.

And do you know what else? I wouldnt rule out a second civil war in Ireland either.

That's too vague, saying within our lifetimes. That could be one year for a person or one hundred years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

The combined 28 nations of NATO have a combined population triple that of Russia. They have budgets many times he size of Russia. Their combines forces easily outgun russia many times over. NATO nuclear sharing vastly over powers Russia.

WWIII is a hypothetical event.

I think if you want to hypothesize you need to be aware of the actual military plans that automatically kick into place should this arise. Also the attack warning systems. Current ones are top secret but past ones aren't. Operation Behemoth ,NATO nuclear sharing,Exercise Internal Look

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_III#Military_plans

Exercises Grand Slam, Longstep, and Mainbrace.

Looking at historical close calls. Some of them believe it or not have been total accidents. The Norwegian rocket incident was a total accident. Nearly caused wwIII there were many false alarms during the cold war. The Crimean crisis.

• Advertisement

I think I would.

The combined 28 nations of NATO have a combined population triple that of Russia. They have budgets many times he size of Russia. Their combines forces easily outgun russia many times over. NATO nuclear sharing vastly over powers Russia.

I think if you want to hypothesize you need to be aware of the actual military plans that automatically kick into place should this arise. Also the attack warning systems. Current ones are top secret but past ones aren't. Operation Behemoth ,NATO nuclear sharing,Exercise Internal Look

Looking at historical close calls. Some of them believe it or not have been total accidents. The Norwegian rocket incident was a total accident. Nearly caused wwIII there were many false alarms during the cold war. The Crimean crisis.

Exactly why you think Russia has not cough cough Directly intervened in Ukraine. Crimea excuse was not an invasion as troops were there already.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Between the Yes and No voters..
    The no side lost.

Why would the UK goto war with the Republic ?

The no side lost.

And the No side lost the last civil war.

Exactly why you think Russia has not cough cough Directly intervened in Ukraine. Crimea excuse was not an invasion as troops were there already.
    It's interesting Russian officials have declared
    an information war.

These stories play on half-truths, like the presence of far-right nationalists at Maidan, and reasonable doubt, like skepticism of western meddling.

Interesting tactic. Very tough to see clearly not even if you were on the ground. It needs high intelligence to figure out. Putin knew that and it's effect in making citizens in the west less inclined to act or want their govt to act.

We weren't in WW2. I think we should stay out WW3 (and WW4,5 and 6) as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

That's too vague, saying within our lifetimes. That could be one year for a person or one hundred years.

Have you ever been called pedantic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The West and Russia will never come to direct blows. Proxy wars tend to be the favoured method of combat since ww2.

There were WW before the 20th century.

bur wrote: »
    Have you ever been called pedantic?

Not in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Reiver wrote: »
    Has the entire Ukrainian crisis been a fantastic case of maskirovka on the part of NATO?

No.
    It takes two to tango.
    No. Asserting yourself with an aggressor is more likely to avoid physical conflict than pandering to them. War with Russia wouldn't benefit any western nation.

The last thread with this sort of nonsense only petered out a week or so ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

catallus wrote:
    I haven't heard anything about Ukraine or Crimea in ages, now that you mention it.

catallus wrote:
    Maybe it wasn't such a big deal after all and someone in the media thought it would be a good idea to stir shíte.

Or maybe our 'Western' media doesn't want us to know what the West is doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

With nuclear weapons none of those facts are valid. I'm more worried about American aggression than Russian aggression tbh.

With nuclear weapons none of those facts are valid. I'm more worried about American aggression than Russian aggression tbh.

MAD, No one will go nuclear It will be terrorist plot or an accident. There will be no purposeful launch of nuclear weapons by any country that has them In a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The MAD I'm worried about is Daenerys Targaryen when she lets loose with her dragons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

mad muffin wrote: »
    A Third World War is sorely needed. It's benefits will be wide reaching. Just like the two before it.

Firstly it will thin out the herd.

It will advance science and medicine.

According to Breda O'Brien we will be extinct in 150 years because we allow gay people to get married so there really can't be a need for a world war.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sure if worst comes to happen, I hear Vault 101 is pretty okay.

Vaults, designed and built by Vault-Tec!

Advertisement