Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12 final buildup

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

merryberry wrote: »
    A bit off topic but if anyone knows a good spot to watch the match in Manhattan can ye let me know

Couple of places... Dorian Gray in the east village, proper rugby spot and there's the Brass Monkey in the a West Village. Both owned by Irish fellas who are into their rugby.

There's also the mad hatter which Leinster usually recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Glasgow with Matawalu scoring a last minute try with a swan dive
    It seems like the some Glasgow folk are finding tickets difficult to come by. Are they already sold out?

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Loads of tickets were sold ages ago. I think each club gets tickets to sell to their supporters clubs or whatever, but I wouldn't fancy trying to buy one on general sale at this stage. If Munster weren't involved there'd probably be loads of tickets for sale, but I reckon a lot of Ulster fans will hold on to their tickets now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

phog wrote: »
    Will the Irish Open or the BH weekend here add extra traffic volumes on the road north on Saturday?

Newlands cross bypassed so m50 access is easier and traffic from there to the m1 will be very light on saturday. Friday evening will be the hectic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭phog

POM declaring himself ready in today's Examiner. Still a doubt over Murray and Zebo will surely miss out too. ROM will probably step in for Zebo with Conway to the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think they kept way too few tickets back for finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I wonder with Murray out (most likely) will Foley bring Sheridan/Cronin in to the bench,neither of which have featured in ages. Or will we see JJ and Tylor Blyndalhal both feature on the bench with Conway? Or perhaps even a 6/2 split on the bench with an extra backrower thrown in

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Glasgow
    Tomtom364 wrote: »
    I wonder with Murray out (most likely) will Foley bring Sheridan/Cronin in to the bench,neither of which have featured in ages. Or will we see JJ and Tylor Blyndalhal both feature on the bench with Conway? Or perhaps even a 6/2 split on the bench with an extra backrower thrown in

Foley said yesterday that Sheridan will come onto the bench if Murray isn't fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Glasgow
    Zebo should be ok, can't see him not playing on Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Wang King wrote: »
    Zebo should be ok, can't see him not playing on Saturday

Nigel said at the time he was knocked out. he should be left out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Glasgow
    Podge_irl wrote: »

I think at the time it was suggested that 2K were being held for each of the finalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Glasgow
    Tickets and coach booked. Gonna be a long ass day leaving Cork at 9:30 and returning in the wee hours. Can't wait though. It being Paulie's last game will give Munster a huge drive to do it for him. Munster by 8-10 I reckon (optimistically) :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Glasgow
    Still tickets available, I think the Pro12 did a great job on this tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Podge_irl wrote: »

I bet their delighted they were sold in the first place. A sell out means money whoever is playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Glasgow
    Williams did well when he came on the last day but Murray brings so much to the Munster team, including leadership and control of the backline; Keatley tends to play better outside him.

I think we'll win but if Murray is out, I may have to revise that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Williams did well when he came on the last day but Murray brings so much to the Munster team, including leadership and control of the backline; Keatley tends to play better outside him.

I think we'll win but if Murray is out, I may have to revise that.

Regardless of how Williams plays, Murray will be a huge loss; he would be a huge loss to pretty much any side in the world. His kicking game and range of passing from the base alone are essential to how Munster (and Ireland) play.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Glasgow
    I'd be surprised if Murray is fit. Just watching that tackle again and it looked like it could have done some damage.

I am no doctor of course though but I am worried for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭phog

Heading to Belfast, here's a pack that might be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 neiliog93

If Munster can keep up the frenzied close in carries and intensity that destroyed Leinster this season and the Ospreys in patches, they'll win. My issue is that they've generally only done it inconsistently within games, and if the Ospreys could punish them in their 'off' patches then Glasgow definitely can - the most dangerous attacking team in the league. I also think Glasgow's defence is superior to the Ospreys. They've been knocking on the door so long that I can see them sneaking it, a la the semi-final last year.

Glasgow
    neiliog93 wrote: »
    If Munster can keep up the frenzied close in carries and intensity that destroyed Leinster this season and the Ospreys in patches, they'll win. My issue is that they've generally only done it inconsistently within games, and if the Ospreys could punish them in their 'off' patches then Glasgow definitely can - the most dangerous attacking team in the league. I also think Glasgow's defence is superior to the Ospreys. They've been knocking on the door so long that I can see them sneaking it, a la the semi-final last year.

Actually Munster are the most dangerous attacking team in the league. Most trys scored in the regular season with 68 (5 more than Glasgow), plus 3 more last weekend. When it comes to defence the stats say that Ospreys were the best with the least trys and points conceded, followed by Munster, followed by Glasgow.
    Remember that Glasgow were battered by Ospreys 3 weeks ago and were lucky to beat Ulster.
    Cut out the defensive brainfarts and improve the kicking and Munster will win.

• Advertisement

Those stats don't tell the full story though. If you're objective about it, it's hard to deny than Glasgow would be the more likely to score off turnover ball inside their own half than Munster. Horne, Seymour, Matawalu, Hogg, Van Der Merwe et al are more dangerous than the Munster backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Glasgow
    Is there any word on Conor Murray yet?

Glasgow
    neiliog93 wrote: »
    Those stats don't tell the full story though. If you're objective about it, it's hard to deny than Glasgow would be the more likely to score off turnover ball inside their own half than Munster. Horne, Seymour, Matawalu, Hogg, Van Der Merwe et al are more dangerous than the Munster backs.

Yet Munster have scored more trys than them this season. In the matches between the two teams it was 2 trys each in Scotstoun with their second rows scoring both and 4 trys to 1 to Munster in Cork with a forward scoring their only try.

Yet Munster have scored more trys than them this season. In the matches between the two teams it was 2 trys each in Scotstoun with their second rows scoring both and 4 trys to 1 to Munster in Cork with a forward scoring their only try.

The weather at the end of May is likely to be significantly better than during the regular season, suiting counter-attacking teams. Munster have been very effective at times in generating ultra quick ball through fast-paced, extremely aggressive carrying and recycling. This is almost impossible to defend against. I would still say that off turnover ball, Glasgow are significantly more dangerous. 5 tries over the course of 22 games is a negligible difference and for much of the reason it's 4 degrees, raining and extremely windy.

The weather at the end of May is likely to be significantly better than during the regular season, suiting counter-attacking teams. Munster have been very effective at times in generating ultra quick ball through fast-paced, extremely aggressive carrying and recycling. This is almost impossible to defend against. I would still say that off turnover ball, Glasgow are significantly more dangerous. 5 tries over the course of 22 games is a negligible difference and for much of the season it's 4 degrees, raining and extremely windy. Thus try recounts only partly reflect backline threat.

Apologies for the duplicate.

Glasgow

Munster were very impressive that night in Cork but the Glasgow backline will be totally different on Saturday, a Warriors team without Pyrgos, Russell and Hogg is a very different side to what will run out in Belfast.

Glasgow
    As expected no Murray, but no POM either :-(.

MunXV vWarriors: Jones; Earls, Smith, Hurley(c), Zebo; Keats, Williams; Killer, Guinazu, BJ; Holland, PO’C; DRyan, Butler, CJ

Replacements: Casey, Cronin, Archer, Dougall, O’Donoghue, Sheridan, Hanrahan, RO’Mahony

Glasgow
    CGKxtsuWEAAYJ4X.jpg

Big news there is that Matawalu is dropped to the bench. This is bad news for Munster. Better news for Munster is Al Kellock not making it back from injury, only fit enough to bench and replaced by Nakarawa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Felix Jones; Keith Earls, Andrew Smith, Denis Hurley - capt., Simon Zebo; Ian Keatley, Duncan Williams;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Eusebio Guinazu, BJ Botha; Billy Holland, Paul O'Connell; Donnacha Ryan, Paddy Butler, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Duncan Casey, James Cronin, Stephen Archer, Sean Dougall, Jack O'Donoghue, Cathal Sheridan, JJ Hanrahan, Ronan O'Mahony

Big story is Botha in for Archer. POM and Murray out. Ryan back to 6.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement