Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Amendment

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

Life's too short to get hung up on it.

Well, bodily integrity & coerced pregnancies are very serious issues for most reasonable people. But if you see this aspect of the debate as something to be lightly dismissed & joked about, so be it.

It’s a non-issue for you, that’s absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

130Kph wrote: »
    It’s a non-issue for you, that’s absolutely fine.

The sad fact is that it's a non-issue for most Irish voters. Most can afford, or their husbands or parents or boyfriends can afford to organize an abortion via Ireland's abortion industry, off-shored in the UK.

It's only people stuck in the cracks of the legal system and people already in the grips of our so-called maternity services who are victimized by the 8th amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

The Y case was caused by Hope's mother wanting him dead, but the 8th saved his life.

After reading the last few pages, I'm inclined to think you must be trolling.
    But none the less, let me explain. Miss Y applied for a termination on the back of legislation enacted to deal with the 8th amendment. That amendment enshrined the right to life of her foetus, but also compelled us to give due regard to her equal right to life. Without the 8th amendment, we would not have the POLDP Act. Without that act I can not think of any case where a baby would be delivered so prematurely unless necessary for the wellbeing of the baby or the physical wellbeing of the mother. I have heard of no other such case.
    So thanks to the 8th amendment we have a severely traumatised young woman, and a child who will likely never live an independant life. For no particularly good reason. If you thing this is a triumph, I pity you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

When will the abortion lobby allow Savita rest in peace?

When will that Legatus money run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Her innocent baby should not be exterminated or harmed in any way.

That is not an answer to what I asked. Please reply to my question. Is the unwanted pregnancy of a woman who was forced into sex through rape, her duty?
    Yes/No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That is not an answer to what I asked. Please reply to my question. Is the unwanted pregnancy of a woman who was forced into sex through rape, her duty?
    Yes/No

"Yes, because she shouldn't have worn those clothes/been so drunk."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Are you butthurt that the Magdalenekazetten are closed?

Mod:

Up the standard please, comments like that don't help the thread at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

Well, if you ignore the 4000 or so abortions of Irish unborns happening every year, yeah!

Well done pro-life movement! Preventing abortions for prisoners, the mentally ill and asylum seekers in Ireland since 1983!

Every unborn life saved is to be celebrated.

When we repeal the 8th

your honesty is appreciated.

Savita will continue to be morbidly peddled by the abortion lobby.

After reading the last few pages, I'm inclined to think you must be trolling.
    But none the less, let me explain. Miss Y applied for a termination on the back of legislation enacted to deal with the 8th amendment. That amendment enshrined the right to life of her foetus, but also compelled us to give due regard to her equal right to life. Without the 8th amendment, we would not have the POLDP Act. Without that act I can not think of any case where a baby would be delivered so prematurely unless necessary for the wellbeing of the baby or the physical wellbeing of the mother. I have heard of no other such case.
    So thanks to the 8th amendment we have a severely traumatised young woman, and a child who will likely never live an independant life. For no particularly good reason. If you thing this is a triumph, I pity you.

The 8th, backed up by X Legislation saved Hope's life.

• Advertisement

Yes/No

Clearly, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

your honesty is appreciated.

Savita will continue to be morbidly peddled by the abortion lobby.

If only such concern for her well being could have been extended her way while she was alive.

Not even Kitty Holland believes the abortion lobby's spin on Savita's tragic death.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    If only such concern for her well being could have been extended her way while she was alive.

Indeed.

The abortion lobby's abuse of her memory is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,117 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Indeed.

I find pro-life inspired fatal abuse of her body to be far more sickening, tbh.

Indeed.

Is Savita's husband also part of this 'abortion lobby'?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I find pro-life inspired fatal abuse of her body to be far more sickening, tbh.

Three reports written and none back your assertion up.

But don't let that stop you.

Is Savita's husband also part of this 'abortion lobby'?

I have no idea.

I have no idea.

I ask because he clearly wanted his wife to survive the pregnancy, and from the news reports it sounds like he'd have supported the termination to save her life. Doesn't that mean he's 'abusing her memory', according to you?

He said he had pleaded with medical staff at Galway university hospital for his wife to be given an emergency termination to save her life.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/apr/19/savita-abortion-widower-barbaric-hospital

I ask because he clearly wanted his wife to survive the pregnancy, and from the news reports it sounds like he'd have supported the termination to save her life. Doesn't that mean he's 'abusing her memory', according to you?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/apr/19/savita-abortion-widower-barbaric-hospital

So he says.

• Advertisement

So he says.

What, you think he was hoping that his wife would be denied treatment, and just doesn't want to admit it?

I ask, do you think Savita's husband is abusing her memory too, as you're accusing other posters on this thread of doing? A Yes/No answer will suffice.

What, you think he was hoping that his wife would be denied treatment, and just doesn't want to admit it?

What a strange question to ask.

The abortion lobby are continuing to morbidly abuse Savita's death in their continued advocacy for abortion in this country.

To my knowledge, he's not posting in this thread, nor is he lobbying for abortion in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So he says.

So the poor guy is a liar, now, too?

What a charmer you are.

What a strange question to ask.

The abortion lobby are continuing to morbidly abuse Savita's death in their continued advocacy for abortion in this country.

To my knowledge, he's not posting in this thread, nor is he lobbying for abortion in Ireland.

He wishes his wife had a termination to save her life. You're accusing other posters of abusing her memory by saying that she should have had a termination to save her life. You honestly can't see the similarity there?

EDIT: You also didn't specify whether you think Savita's husband is lying there. To remind you, I said "What, you think he was hoping that his wife would be denied treatment, and just doesn't want to admit it?"

So the poor guy is a liar, now, too?

What a charmer you are.

Not even Kitty would stand over his account. Did you not listen to her interview in the YT clip?

He wishes his wife had a termination to save her life. You're accusing other posters of abusing her memory by saying that she should have had a termination to save her life. You honestly can't see the similarity there?

EDIT: You also didn't specify whether you think Savita's husband is lying there. To remind you, I said "What, you think he was hoping that his wife would be denied treatment, and just doesn't want to admit it?"
    Like Kitty, I have no idea of the veracity of his comments.

So, let's be clear on this. You think there is a chance that the grieving husband of the late Savita Halappanavar was lying?

Just out of curiosity. Let's assume he's not lying, and he actually wanted his wife to get the life-saving termination. Would he, in your opinion, be 'abusing her memory', as you have accused other posters in this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Except that that video was from long before the investigations into her death, and now we do know that he was telling the truth.

Except you apparently, who still doesn't tbelieve him. But I think that says more about you than about anything else.

So, let's be clear on this. You think there is a chance that the grieving husband of the late Savita Halappanavar was lying?

Just out of curiosity. Let's assume he's not lying, and he actually wanted his wife to get the life-saving termination. Would he, in your opinion, be 'abusing her memory', as you have accused other posters in this thread?

Like Kitty, I have no idea if there's any truth in the assertion that an abortion was sought when he claims it was made.

As I've said already, to my knowledge, he's not posting here nor is he a lobbyist for the abortion industry.

• Advertisement

I'm going to ignore your complete lack of respect to a grieving widower.
    As I've said already, to my knowledge, he's not posting here nor is he a lobbyist for the abortion industry.

Sigh. I'll try again.

You are accusing other posters of abusing the memory of Savita Halappanavar, when all they have done is say or imply that she should have had a life-saving termination. Her husband did the same thing, say or imply that she should have had a life-saving termination.

Does this mean, in your opinion, that he's abusing her memory?

Whether he's posting on boards.ie or not is utterly irrelevant. He did more than the posters here have done, by going to the Irish (and international) media to speak out about the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement