Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm gay.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Aard wrote: »
    Even if they did.... would you want them to confess their undying requited attraction to you!
    Probably not but a little bit of flirting never hurt anyone ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I wonder how many new gays there are since this referendum? Can only be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Out gays you mean

efb wrote: »
    Out gays you mean

Yes. Newly out gays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

MarkR wrote: »
    I know it shouldn't be a big thing, but I know it is. Guess we'll have to adjust the coke and hookers order slightly

Gay people enjoy coke and hookers just as much as the rest of us presumably,sure why wouldn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Gay people enjoy coke and hookers just as much as the rest of us presumably,sure why wouldn't they?

I think s/he meant that the gender of the hookers may require adjustment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Yes. Newly out gays.
    I'm aware of some people who will interpret it as previously straight people turning gay. Bizarre perception of it as some form of social contagion.

For example I know one man who tells his gay son he's not gay, it's just peer pressure:confused:. Currently spouting vague but ominous statements about the future of society since the referendum.

It's great that this empowering people to come out. Would be funny how a few people will interpret it if it wasn't sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

meh but hey congratulations on feeling comfortable enough to make the post.
    we all knew

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I think s/he meant that the gender of the hookers may require adjustment :D

Many hookers already have 'adjustments' already.In Amsterdam they stand behind the blue lights so as to avoid embarrassment and confusion. I f@king hate being colourblind :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Many hookers already have 'adjustments' already.In Amsterdam they stand behind the blue lights so as to avoid embarrassment and confusion. I f@king hate being colourblind :(

I didn't word that post particularly well! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

I'm from Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I'm from Cork.

Nah, if you were you'd be like.

I'm from the greatest county in world, the People's Republic of Cork - Da Real Capital, loike.

Like I am :D

I'm from Cork.

Cause that is the same.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm from Cork.
    Look, that's fine but really, do you have to be in everyones face about it?

:p

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm aware some people who will interpret it as previously straight people turning gay. Bizarre perception of it as some form of social contagion.

For example I know one man who tells his gay son he's not gay, it's just peer pressure:confused:. Currently spouting vague but ominous statements about the future of society since the referendum.

It's great that this empowering people to come out. Would be funny how a few people will interpret it if it wasn't sad.
    Some people have asked me when I knew and that's kind of a weird question.... I guess I realised when I was a young lad that I was different. Remember I was 22 when it was *decriminalised* ... It was a scary time. This hasn't been some dawning realisation other than "I had better not say this to anyone and just keep my trap shut and laugh along". The idea it was a "choice" is laughable. Why the fnck would anyone have chosen that. I'm glad younger people haven't had to fight that... things aren't all sunshine and lollipops just yet but at least these days its time for the homophobes to run and hide and pretend they don't hold the views they do. Let them be afraid someone will find out what their real nature is.... I've done more than my fair share of it.

DeVore wrote: »
    Some people have asked me when I knew and that's kind of a weird question.... I guess I realised when I was a young lad that I was different. Remember I was 22 when it was *decriminalised* ... It was a scary time. This hasn't been some dawning realisation other than "I had better not say this to anyone and just keep my trap shut and laugh along". The idea it was a "choice" is laughable. Why the fnck would anyone have chosen that. I'm glad younger people haven't had to fight that... things aren't all sunshine and lollipops just yet but at least these days its time for the homophobes to run and hide and pretend they don't hold the views they do. Let them be afraid someone will find out what their real nature is.... I've done more than my fair share of it.

With respect we definitely did. I was 5 when decriminalization happened so that element might be foreign to me but the remainder of your post certainly still applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Congrats on feeling ready and able to come out. This weekend was such a big one for so many people. It has helped a large proportion of people feel able to walk down the street with their heads high and not feel the need to 'check' themselves.

I totally get what you were saying about not identifying with the camp stereotypes. My best mate is the same. Doesn't identify that way at all. Is still into more 'manly' things like wrestling etc. Then another of my friends is WAY more camp. He is a drag queen! Then there are the inbetweens. Plus the lesbians. Some Butch. Some femme. Some a mix. There is no definitive 'gay' type. Just do you :)

And those who don't or can't or haven't a clue 're labels. Again. Just do you. That is the only label you need. You are you and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Ahh here, i'm just going to have to stop fancying fellas who seemed nice over the years through varying forms of media....Mark Feehily, Leo, and now Devore!

Seriously though Devore, I'm glad this weekend helped you so much-unknowingly you've helped so many people yourself with your honesty about your depression through this site (i'm one of them!)-i'm sure your coming out will help many more in years to come-and so i'm glad so many people have (unknowingly) helped you too!

Maith thú and may the years ahead bring you much love and happiness!xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Nice job for your honesty, I suppose it gives some insight to the rest of us as to what the journey is like. Coming up to the referendum I felt a bit apathetic to the whole thing but seeing the confidence and sense of acceptance it gives to some gay people makes me glad I was just a small part of the change.

Ideally, I'd like to see the day where the concept of "coming out" isn't really a huge ordeal and search for acceptance, but rather that gay people could just grow up and mature like any other because sexuality is only one element of our overall being. :)

Big respect for your honesty, and it was nice to get some insight into the tangible effect the last weekend had on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Glad to hear things are going well for you. :) Nice one being so open and honest about it on your lovely website. You're a sound chap! :D

Now, I've an uncle about your age....single and all. ;) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

With respect we definitely did. I was 5 when decriminalization happened so that element might be foreign to me but the remainder of your post certainly still applies.

I think both of you are right to some extent. On the one hand there was a massive sea change over the last 22 years and in particular younger people benefited from the amazing work done by belong to and usi and glen and youth groups and schools and government policy however not all young people did and certainly the messages from the No side were extremely hurtful and stressful to many young people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I think both of you are right to some extent. On the one hand there was a massive sea change over the last 22 years and in particular younger people benefited from the amazing work done by belong to and usi and glen and youth groups and schools and government policy however not all young people did and certainly the messages from the No side were extremely hurtful and stressful to many young people.

I wasn't in any way trying to dismiss DeVores point its just that progress has been slow iterative process. Every newly out gay person earned us a little bit more support. I personally have noticed a enormous, radical transformation from when I was out in secondary school in a rural village from 2000 to 2006 and the experience of my brother (he is not gay but there are gay people in his year) today. Its overwhelming and humbling.

Absolutely. As I said, its not all sunshine and lollipops yet for young people coming out in Ireland. It is *better*, sure, but that's a relative term! :)

When I was growing up my fantasies literally made me a sex-criminal :) ... and while it was never really a concern about being arrested (everyone knew that that law was ridiculous) ... that was the backdrop. The sense was "yeah, you can have your furtive ads in the back of In Dublin and we wont actively hunt you, but always remember we think you are so abnormal as to be criminal". That hurts and makes sure you keep your secrets close. It does untold damage to your self-esteem and definitely fed into the depression I have talked about on AH. I'm very glad that, whatever challenges our youth face today (and discrimination didn't disappear overnight on Saturday remember)...that at least society has improved beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Quite a few, I'd expect. As several No voters on here pointed out, the gay is fierce trendy these days.

endacl wrote: »
    Quite a few, I'd expect. As several No voters on here pointed out, the gay is fierce trendy these days.

Wonderful. Soon we shall have reached critical mass and then... we strike!

Peak gay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Once you go cock you never go bock

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

efb wrote: »
    Once you go cock you never go bock

That's what my missus says!

:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

At least your hair is no longer alone ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm late to the party, but seriously fair play to you Dev ;)

Advertisement